MSLGROUP Reviews

104 reviews filtered by
3.2
MSLGROUP CEO Olivier Fleurot
Olivier Fleurot

Pros
  • Solid flexibility for work//life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people - the junior talent within the agency is top notch (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful work/life balance; no respect or consideration for people's personal lives (in 6 reviews)

• Employees rotate in and out like a revolving door (in 7 reviews)

1. MSLGROUP New York is the place to be

I worked at MSLGROUP

Pros

A creative environment with amazing clients and people who want you to grow.

Cons

Few opportunities for promotions and terrible promotion/monetary increase schedule (only three times a year, otherwise forget about it).

Work on bringing together all the MDs in offices across the U.S., some disconnect in other offices.

2. Great clients, smart agency

I have been working at MSLGROUP

Pros

Great client roster
    Strong new business
    Dynamic
    Fast paced

Cons

Work life balance lacking
    Retention
    Compensation

A good company that is growing quickly but with the challenges it brings.

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is exhibiting good growth, a diverse market presence, an international footprint and benefits from absorbing top local firms in each market in order to create a strong starting position.

Cons

Processes involving international cooperation are still being established and it is not always clear what parts of the company are working together at times.

Define the areas in which people are able to interact with foreign partners of the company and establish best practices in order to accomplish those goals.

Great opportunities if you're willing to put in the hours

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at MSLGROUP

Pros

Large client base means lots of opportunities. Large employee base means lots of great ideas. Strong teamwork and terrific opportunity to cross pollinate with sister agencies at Publicis.

Cons

Work-life balance nearly non-existent. Staffing mix is lopsided with many senior and junior folks. Not enough mid-level talent. Very weak in social media.

Beef up social media capabilities and think beyond publicity.

No regard for talent and experience

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at MSLGROUP

Pros

Under a holding company so the benefits are good.

Cons

Management is not creative in recognizing hard work and talent. Very limited in vision and just push employees to generate more fee from the clients. They front load client budgets and then pressure staff to get more budget from clients.

Exercise more integrity, learn to recognize good talent.

Many Positives But A Big Negative At The Top Bringing MSL Chicago Down.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Wonderful team at all levels. Talented people who help each other. Lots of friendships but not cliquey. The people make me happy to work at MSL.

Great clients. Not all huge clients but the clients we have are so nice to work with that you want to go out of your way.

Comfortable and open environment. Collaborative team spirit.

Super fun programs and culture and flexibility are important. Everyone participates which is nice

Good mid level leaders.

You can do what you want, all you need to do is ask and work hard to advance quickly andbe recognized.

Pay seems to be competitive.

Cons

Lacking an effective, inspiring leader. Worries me that we don't have the right representation out there for our agency in the Chicago area. We're a talented group that can go up against any big agency but we're not seen as that in the marketplace.

Would like even more activities for staff to get together.

Can we partner more on some publicis clients?

Put IMPACTFUL leadership in place in Chicago or let other leaders do more and have a bigger presence and stronger voice.

Horrible Experience

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

- salary and benefits are industry competitive
    - larger Publicis Groupe family provides great pool of resources
    - some staff members are nice to work with

Cons

- senior management is very dysfunctional
    - senior leaders show no respect for peers and subordinates
    - some senior managers do not care about employee well-being
    - obscene overtime is mandatory when working with some leaders
    - staff have no respect toward senior leadership
    - no top-tier clients with a lot of small one-off projects
    - horrible new business development process
    - a few people have been at the company for a long time, some for too long
    - people quit or get fired every month
    - promotions often awarded to people before the person is ready to be promoted
    - on the flip-side, a lot of people are working far beyond their title
    - overall a stiffling working environment
    - no brand recognition for MSLGROUP (even among other local PR agencies)
    - growth opportunities that exist within Publicis Groupe are essentially unattainable because of overburdened workload expected of employees

Caveat: this review is specifically regarding the MSL Chicago office. The company as a global whole offers a lot of great programs for career and personal development, and the North American CEO Paul Newman has been a fantastic addition.

Encourage MSLGROUP Chicago senior management to learn to work better together, care more about their employees, build a stronger and more impressive client roster, and develop a company culture that is both recognizable and desirable for current and future employees.

Some good. Some SUPER bad.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some great people here to learn from. It amazes me that MSL as it is losing business- has been able to attract great new talent at the senior level. But there are some like the new MD of New York (2 weeks in but seems to be all over CHANGE). The NY Digital practice lead is so motivating and helpful. Even though she doesn't live in NY she seems to always really care about us and the business. She's smart too. We also have a wonderful learning academy thing. It is classes and webinars on a wide variety of topics...and they are really well put together. I love my immediate colleagues too. So the people are the only real 'pros' to mention....OH and free soda in the kitchen (no fruit or anything though)

Cons

Absolutely no vision or leadership at the North American level. The CEO is in France and never even comes. The finance department is an utter disaster and is like 10 years behind my old agency. Honestly the time entry, the billing, the weird P&Ls for each office is probably the worst in the industry. The only upside to this is that you can basically put in anything into your time sheet. Because no one ever checks it. My manager doesn't even see what I am putting in. They told us we were becoming a 'digtal' agency- so having digital in all stuff- and while that is a little better, there is no new people (someone told me we are on a spending/hireing hld because of how bad business is)- it is the same 10 digital people (at least in NY) doing all of it. And I still don't have a laptop. And there is one super large group of brands (can't name here-but i work on) that has its own digital lead, who is just not involved. So much to say. I held it in for too long!!! I hope change is on the way- because otherwise...i seriously think MSLGROUP will fumble itself.

Sell the agency to another one that knows what they are doing. Then they can keep the good people and get rid of all the bad. That is the only advice I can give. But do it fast. Everyone is looking for new jobs Good luck to you guys.

WORSE by the day : (

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP (more than 5 years)

Pros

The city view and the office manager.

Cons

Ineffective gossipy cruel senior leadership.
    Unhappy and constantly leaving clients.
    Horrible non-existent strange personalities of HR and Finance leaders in NY office.
    Heads of Global Digital & NY Digital are completely self-serving and backstabbing.
    Business Development is dead.
    We really have nothing to offer.
    No one to trust or talk to.

Get rid of existing Leadership & ALL current NA/NY HR and Finance officers who sit in NY office. New senior hires can't cover the damage existing leaders are still inflicting on the New York office every day.

MSLGROUP Response

Oct 28, 2014Managing Director, New York

Hi - as the new head of the NY office, I'm sorry you feel so lousy about the office and the firm at large. As I said at the all staff recently, there is no doubt we have work to do here to ... More

ATL Office Is A Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

They pay very well. It's the only way they can get anyone to work there.

Cons

The existing management treats people like garbage and they run the office like a sweat shop.

If you aren't there at 6:00 in the morning and if you don't work in the office until 10:00 at night, they treat you like a slacker.

The MD plays favorites. He interferes with your accounts: holds meetings without you, makes client and team decisions without you, changes strategic direction without you and then complains that you aren't managing the account. He also undermines leadership in front of their staff and gossips about people. Nobody and I mean nobody trusts him.

The morale is the worst I have ever seen. Employees rotate in and out like a revolving door. And those who don't are so beaten and battered, they don't have the energy to find new work even though they are miserable.

The misery is palpable. Do not - I repeat DO NOT WORK HERE unless you simply cannot find work anywhere else.

Pay attention to your attrition. People are leaving for a reason.

Have frank discussions with your staff without the MD's involvement.

Stop letting the number-crunchers in Paris make decisions about what happens in the trenches in the U.S.

LISTEN TO YOUR PEOPLE.