MSLGROUP Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
3.1

MSLGROUP CEO Olivier Fleurot
Olivier Fleurot

Pros
  • Solid flexibility for work//life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people - the junior talent within the agency is top notch (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful work/life balance; no respect or consideration for people's personal lives (in 6 reviews)

• Employees rotate in and out like a revolving door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced ride - a culture of true believers

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth in the company. MongoDB is now firmly established as a company and as a technology, so the early days where people were wearing a million hats is gone as the company got more focused, but the ability to evolve your role and take on new responsibilities based on your skill set or your interests is tremendous. Generally, people just really like each other. Makes going to work fun when you're invested both in the company, the technology and also the team. Great college recruiting program. Lots of interaction between departments. Offices around the world. Regular events and parties and hackathons. Free food :).

Cons

Shifting slightly from startup to mid-size company and therefore experiencing typical growth challenges. As with most emerging tech companies, its a predominately male-led organization and lacks women in leadership positions.

Continue current culture of transparency. Find more ways to hire women in leadership! Continue to invest in the community and create believers.

Some good. Some SUPER bad.

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great people here to learn from. It amazes me that MSL as it is losing business- has been able to attract great new talent at the senior level. But there are some like the new MD of New York (2 weeks in but seems to be all over CHANGE). The NY Digital practice lead is so motivating and helpful. Even though she doesn't live in NY she seems to always really care about us and the business. She's smart too. We also have a wonderful learning academy thing. It is classes and webinars on a wide variety of topics...and they are really well put together. I love my immediate colleagues too. So the people are the only real 'pros' to mention....OH and free soda in the kitchen (no fruit or anything though)

Cons

Absolutely no vision or leadership at the North American level. The CEO is in France and never even comes. The finance department is an utter disaster and is like 10 years behind my old agency. Honestly the time entry, the billing, the weird P&Ls for each office is probably the worst in the industry. The only upside to this is that you can basically put in anything into your time sheet. Because no one ever checks it. My manager doesn't even see what I am putting in. They told us we were becoming a 'digtal' agency- so having digital in all stuff- and while that is a little better, there is no new people (someone told me we are on a spending/hireing hld because of how bad business is)- it is the same 10 digital people (at least in NY) doing all of it. And I still don't have a laptop. And there is one super large group of brands (can't name here-but i work on) that has its own digital lead, who is just not involved. So much to say. I held it in for too long!!! I hope change is on the way- because otherwise...i seriously think MSLGROUP will fumble itself.

Sell the agency to another one that knows what they are doing. Then they can keep the good people and get rid of all the bad. That is the only advice I can give. But do it fast. Everyone is looking for new jobs Good luck to you guys.

WORSE by the day : (

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP (more than 5 years)

Pros

The city view and the office manager.

Cons

Ineffective gossipy cruel senior leadership.
    Unhappy and constantly leaving clients.
    Horrible non-existent strange personalities of HR and Finance leaders in NY office.
    Heads of Global Digital & NY Digital are completely self-serving and backstabbing.
    Business Development is dead.
    We really have nothing to offer.
    No one to trust or talk to.

Get rid of existing Leadership & ALL current NA/NY HR and Finance officers who sit in NY office. New senior hires can't cover the damage existing leaders are still inflicting on the New York office every day.

MSLGROUP Response

Oct 28, 2014Managing Director, New York

Hi - as the new head of the NY office, I'm sorry you feel so lousy about the office and the firm at large. As I said at the all staff recently, there is no doubt we have work to do here to ... More

ATL Office Is A Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

They pay very well. It's the only way they can get anyone to work there.

Cons

The existing management treats people like garbage and they run the office like a sweat shop.

If you aren't there at 6:00 in the morning and if you don't work in the office until 10:00 at night, they treat you like a slacker.

The MD plays favorites. He interferes with your accounts: holds meetings without you, makes client and team decisions without you, changes strategic direction without you and then complains that you aren't managing the account. He also undermines leadership in front of their staff and gossips about people. Nobody and I mean nobody trusts him.

The morale is the worst I have ever seen. Employees rotate in and out like a revolving door. And those who don't are so beaten and battered, they don't have the energy to find new work even though they are miserable.

The misery is palpable. Do not - I repeat DO NOT WORK HERE unless you simply cannot find work anywhere else.

Pay attention to your attrition. People are leaving for a reason.

Have frank discussions with your staff without the MD's involvement.

Stop letting the number-crunchers in Paris make decisions about what happens in the trenches in the U.S.

LISTEN TO YOUR PEOPLE.

Disconnected office, awful IT department, overall confused culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HR provides lots of opportunities to connect with colleagues and hosts special events for "holidays" such as National Grilled Cheese Day, etc. Our office is in a good location for commuters and people are generally very friendly and easy to talk to. With smaller teams you have the opportunity to take on bigger projects that other agencies might not hand off to junior staff.

Cons

The San Francisco office got acquired by MSLGROUP for it's technology practice and for many of us, the transition has been painful. We won one very large client about a year ago and since then, it seems that every person in the office works for that client, which is prioritized by management. For the rest of us who don't work with that client, we feel a bit like second class citizens at the office. We are still working for tiny companies who have barely made a dent in the market but want to be on the cover of Forbes. We're pitching meaningless stories with no news and are expected to get great coverage. VPs are so disconnected from PR that they think their ideas are great but they're just living in 1995 (aka Schwartz Communication's glory days). The funny thing is that although we have primarily technology clients in this office, the Publicis IT network is a joke. We regularly deal with spotty email and failed VPN connections.

Top management needs to proactively consider retention strategies rather than act re actively when someone quits because they're so unhappy. There is some good junior talent here that isn't being acknowledged because VPs are making decisions that aren't conducive to a successful PR program. Also, ask employees what kind of clients they want to work with. There are some incredible companies in Silicon Valley and we aren't working with the ones who matter.

Excited about the future but worried about the leader.

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very collaborative and super fun. I can't think of one person I wouldn't want on my team.

The clients are great. They genuinely value and respect the agency teams.

Lots of new business. Big brand names.

Great new hires in the last year. We finally have good leadership on the digital team. Someone who jumps in and does the work.

Resources as a global firm are ok and we have a strong consumer leader (Also the deputy for the office) who helps us find what we need.

We're moving into new office space!!!

Finally feels like the agency or at least the Chicago office is moving forward.

Cons

Workloads seem unbalanced across the middle levels.

Not enough in-house resources. We get what we need but sometimes not fast enough and would be nice to have easier access.

The MD is MIA. He seems half engaged. He's always out. Not sure what he does. It's kind of a joke in the office. He literally does nothing at least from what we can see. And his door is shut when he is in.

Not moving to the new space fast enough.

Training programs need work. When scheduled they're super long. Makes it hard to get work done.

Strong rating because of the possibilities ahead. Something needs to be fixed at the top before it makes others leave.

Dull and Duller

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good staff. Some good accounts. Some good laughs.

Cons

Not sure if the leadership - new, old, NA, NY, WHATEVER - knows what they are doing. It's dull. Just look at the NY office and recent reviews. All they do is congratulate themsleves with company wide emails for stuff other firms have done for hyears. It's so ridiculous. They even wrote on a response to a review about the town hall. REally? We want to work on new accounts, do great work and be a part of what's happening. Digital is a joke and thank God i'm gone. Everyone knows digital is a joke yet they keep on pulling away. there is no empathy here. Disorganization rules the day.

Hire new leaders. Win some business or at least make the first round cut. Figure out digital.

Challenging, but trying its best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MSL has had its share of issues in the past year but the senior management is really trying to turn it around. Paul is very involved with the NY office and knows most of us by name. Refocusing on things like performance management and keeping office spirits high have helped turn morale around in a few months, and there is no shortage of incredibly talented people here.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult but not impossible. Teams were understaffed for a little while, and even with a full team some of the accounts will keep you in the office late regularly. There was high turnover for a month or so, but things seem to be settled, at least for now.

Stay involved with the junior staff and be transparent about office happenings - we're all adults and can handle it. Don't skirt around the issues the company is facing. Continue with quarterly employee engagement events, since snacks and a glass of wine make any crazy day feel better.

MSLGROUP Response

Aug 5, 2014Director of Corporate Communications and Marketing, North America

We're optimistic too on the future of the company. There are so many great things happening. The recent Town Hall is a good example of how Paul and his management team is committed to being ... More

Great Intern Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at MSLGROUP as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MSL Group gives you direct access to do the work they require. From day one you will be working with VPs and deal with clientele material.

Cons

The company is behind on technology. Their email systems and computers are slow, outdated, and frustrating to use.

Spend money on better technology.

trying but still not a top place

Current Employee - Digital Strategist
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We had a lot of fun with the World Cup. People are really trying here but it's still a bit flat for me. I don't understand why things are done as they are and we need more good talent. Will take years to get this place going.

Cons

Don't seem to be a lot of strong senior leaders. A few but not as many as my last place. Digital is not where it needs to be and when I read another review and someone said the digital head was 'spinning' they weren't kidding. Digital is not just about social it's about being innovative and doing new things. Very bull like. There need to be changes but management just ignores it.

Keep trying