MSLGROUP

MSLGROUP Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

MSLGROUP CEO Olivier Fleurot

Olivier Fleurot

Pros:
  • "Solid flexibility for work//life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great clients, Great colleagues, Good culture"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance is a real issue"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Digital team is a joke, the head has not brought in any new business, and the team is a revolving door"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful People, Wonderful Culture, Great Place to Work!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for less than a year

ProsYou are a member of a team. Titles do not matter your voice is heard and your contributions are valued. Leadership works very hard, to cultivate and expand employee's talent.

Work and personal life balance is VALUED!!! For the first time in my professional life, I can leave my laptop at work, and not lose sleep over it!

The people are great. Very friendly. Incredibly smart and creative.

ConsRecent turnover, but every agency sees turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Collaborative. Creative. Fun. Entrepreneurial. MSL Chicago is moving in the best direction

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time

ProsSenior mgmt is finally in place across the Midwest with a good mix of corporate and consumer leadership. Quick to bring on new resources as biz evolved.

Teams are empowered to lead and succeed.

Great work/life balance. Office clears out by 6 pm daily. Collaborative spirit supported by outside resources as needed makes it an awesome environment. Flex time and teleworking available st all levels.

We're winning. And often. Great new biz processes in place. Team engaged with each new project.

Established digital expertise.

ConsThe office space lacks creativity.

Would love some more admin support.

No collaboration with PBJS right down the hall.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're flung. We're heading in the right direction.

A positive and collaborative office full of story-tellers, creative minds and strategic thinkers.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule - you can run a quick errand during the day, take lunch when you please, come in a little later one day, take sick days (unlimited) when needed, work from home when needed (offered at least once per month), go to doctor's appointments, etc.

Friendly atmosphere - The people are all outgoing, friendly and social. The office has a creative space with a fully stocked fridge for "happy hours", Foosball table, legos, etc. About once per month the "culture club" (a voluntary group of social butterflies) hosts a catered lunch!

Great clients - Awesome consumer, corporate and digital clients across a wide range of industries. Always the opportunity to go after your interests in new business opportunities!

ConsThere have been some periods of flux and quick turn-over in the past which has made it difficult to maintain a consistent workload, daily experience.

Bonus/raises aren't yearly and if you are getting one, you likely don' t know until day of

Weakness Can't Be Hidden

building a career (Current Employee)

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's is comical to me to read these negative reviews. It's also very clear who these people are as they don't do a good job of staying anonymous. Let me tell you, each and everyone of them didn't have what it takes to succeed at MSLGROUP. They were weak. Needed to be spoon fed. Looked for leadership when it was them that needed to lead. You can't hide in an entrepreneurial environment. Find a safe place you can hide. Because you couldn't hide at MSLGROUP

ConsChallenges at MSLGROUP are only opportunities for the true talent to make a difference. Perhaps the agency sees the good in people. I think this is a good quality. But, clearly the weak who make themselves feel better by throwing stones at glass houses, show the agency may be too forgiving in hiring weak talent. People who believe it's a company's issue when they fall flat on their faces because, after all their true fear of being a failure is realized. They need to look in the mirror and finally accept that it is them who failed. Not MSLGROUP.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire superstars.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Better than Average

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVisibility to senior leadership - most are aware of what you're doing and the contributions you make
P&G client exposure - always great to have the ability to work with top marketers and billion dollar brands
Great people - the junior talent within the agency is top notch. They're smart and dedicated and hard working.
Training - we have a great training program and are encouraged to attend as many as possible

ConsLack of senior leadership - we have very few true "senior leaders" who are involved in accounts
Lack of client service focus (see above) - we may preach client service, but the reality is that few senior leaders are available or have any knowledge of what's happening on various accounts or with our top clients
Lack of digital structure - still not built out, and those here have little direction/structure
lack of creative structure - still not built out and tough to engage them to work on your brands
Client diversity - too much P&G happening, not enough marquee clients outside of that

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about staffing up at the senior level and then DIG IN with actual clients. There are MDs and VPs on the client side that are begging for senior leadership involvement, yet we have very few to offer, or that will get engaged.

Sinking Ship

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros- some really great/smart people in the ranks - junior through senior
- pays well
- strong global presence / opportunity to travel
- flexible work hours / ability to work at home

Cons- feels like it's fading fast in North America and is at the mercy of P&G
- agency does not have a great reputation and/or is an unknown agency brand
- offices other than NY are red-haired step children satellite offices
- lack of consistent process and work product varies widely across accounts and brands
- lack of involvement from sr. leadership on accounts
- creative / digital not yet inherent in lifeblood. feels a good 10 years behind in integration
- new digital hires seem to come and go through a revolving door
- digital leadership, while sharp, seem more concerned with personal fame and personal career path
- some very abrasive personalities in digital as well
- everything is a fire drill. my guess is salaries are too high at the top and there are not enough rank and file to actually do the job.
- too P&G focused
- work/life balance is a real issue. be prepared to be on-call 24/7 or slaving over a deck your entire weekend if you are VP+
- leadership in over its head

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not the people...it's the lack of consistent and visible leadership across the disciplines and on accounts. It's time to look in the mirror and acknowledge the real problem vs. constantly making knee-jerk hires to save the day and then having a hard time retaining new senior leaders.
Need stronger mid-senior staff and more rank and file.
Need consistent process and more focus on consistent work product.
Better management of the people...less of a sink or swim mentality.
Diversify client portfolio.
Focus on digital / creative operations...start walking the talk.
Consider new digital leadership that understands more than just social influence...understands how to run a business, truly understands all aspects of digital, and is more concerned with leading and growing the business than with personal brand.

MSL New York - Where the Mediocre Go To Suceed

Digital Strategist (Former Employee)

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComing out of any other agency in NYC, you can do half the amount of work and skate by without anyone noticing.

ConsLeadership is non-existent except when it comes to showing up at industry events or judging awards programs. There is little focus on creating relevant work, but more focus on "being seen" in the industry. Being relevant in the PR echo-chamber is priority number 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurPle is a laughing stock. Maybe he should have spent more time keeping P&G happy than running around the globe with the poet-philosopher out of Paris. Stop letting RW run from every failure she inflicts on the company. Try holding her accountable, unless the lawsuit is still letting her get away with holding Paris hostage.

Learn and grow

I have been working at MSLGROUP

ProsPeople care about your growth and success at the company. MSL does a great initial job training and continuous training throughout your career, especially if you are proactive in becoming an expert.

ConsAs with any company, some processes aren't uniform, but often it is to adapt to what works best on each account.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more frequent feedback on employees' progress in their roles and responsibilities.

Great experience, opportunities (Boston)

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been an employee for almost 3 years and I feel like I've found a home at MSL Boston. The client work is typical to that of any PR agency but the people are smart, the direction is good and the opportunity for growth is ever-present. Expectations run high, but managers work very hard as well. There is a lot of longevity at MSL which speaks to the flexible and friendly environment (especially for working moms), fair compensation and opportunity for upward mobility. I honestly enjoy my job and hope to be here a long time.

ConsWaltham isn't booming, but it's easy to get to.

Advice to Senior ManagementA pat on the back (when deserved) goes a long way. Maintain the culture that exists now even as we immerse further into the MSL world.

Great learning environment!

Digital Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at MSLGROUP as an intern for less than a year

ProsInterns had the opportunity to be involved in a variety of account work, options to take on responsibility above job description, friendly, supportive people, exciting clients

ConsHigh turnover, but this is the case with most businesses in the PR industry. Very large environment where it seemed that mobility was difficult to achieve, but I was only there for a summer so hard to tell

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow lower level people to be involved as much as possible, it is a great way to continue learning !

Worked for MSLGROUP? Contribute to the Community!

MSLGROUP Videos

MSLGROUP – Why Work for Us?

We're trusted advisors and creative storytellers. That's right. We are our client's most trusted advisors and creative storytellers for the Conversation Age. Our approach is real-time engagement. We are communications… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSLGROUP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MSLGROUP CEO Olivier Fleurot. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by MSLGROUP employees.