MSLGROUP Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

MSLGROUP CEO Olivier Fleurot
Olivier Fleurot

Pros
  • Solid flexibility for work//life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people - the junior talent within the agency is top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is difficult but not impossible (in 5 reviews)

• The management team is totally incompetent from the very top down to the revolving door of an HR team that doesn't even understand its own policies (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, but trying its best!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

MSL has had its share of issues in the past year but the senior management is really trying to turn it around. Paul is very involved with the NY office and knows most of us by name. Refocusing on things like performance management and keeping office spirits high have helped turn morale around in a few months, and there is no shortage of incredibly talented people here.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult but not impossible. Teams were understaffed for a little while, and even with a full team some of the accounts will keep you in the office late regularly. There was high turnover for a month or so, but things seem to be settled, at least for now.

Stay involved with the junior staff and be transparent about office happenings - we're all adults and can handle it. Don't skirt around the issues the company is facing. Continue with quarterly employee engagement events, since snacks and a glass of wine make any crazy day feel better.

MSLGROUP Response

Aug 5, 2014Director of Corporate Communications and Marketing, North America

We're optimistic too on the future of the company. There are so many great things happening. The recent Town Hall is a good example of how Paul and his management team is committed to being ... More

Disconnected office, awful IT department, overall confused culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HR provides lots of opportunities to connect with colleagues and hosts special events for "holidays" such as National Grilled Cheese Day, etc. Our office is in a good location for commuters and people are generally very friendly and easy to talk to. With smaller teams you have the opportunity to take on bigger projects that other agencies might not hand off to junior staff.

Cons

The San Francisco office got acquired by MSLGROUP for it's technology practice and for many of us, the transition has been painful. We won one very large client about a year ago and since then, it seems that every person in the office works for that client, which is prioritized by management. For the rest of us who don't work with that client, we feel a bit like second class citizens at the office. We are still working for tiny companies who have barely made a dent in the market but want to be on the cover of Forbes. We're pitching meaningless stories with no news and are expected to get great coverage. VPs are so disconnected from PR that they think their ideas are great but they're just living in 1995 (aka Schwartz Communication's glory days). The funny thing is that although we have primarily technology clients in this office, the Publicis IT network is a joke. We regularly deal with spotty email and failed VPN connections.

Top management needs to proactively consider retention strategies rather than act re actively when someone quits because they're so unhappy. There is some good junior talent here that isn't being acknowledged because VPs are making decisions that aren't conducive to a successful PR program. Also, ask employees what kind of clients they want to work with. There are some incredible companies in Silicon Valley and we aren't working with the ones who matter.

Dull and Duller

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good staff. Some good accounts. Some good laughs.

Cons

Not sure if the leadership - new, old, NA, NY, WHATEVER - knows what they are doing. It's dull. Just look at the NY office and recent reviews. All they do is congratulate themsleves with company wide emails for stuff other firms have done for hyears. It's so ridiculous. They even wrote on a response to a review about the town hall. REally? We want to work on new accounts, do great work and be a part of what's happening. Digital is a joke and thank God i'm gone. Everyone knows digital is a joke yet they keep on pulling away. there is no empathy here. Disorganization rules the day.

Hire new leaders. Win some business or at least make the first round cut. Figure out digital.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

trying but still not a top place

Current Employee - Digital Strategist
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

We had a lot of fun with the World Cup. People are really trying here but it's still a bit flat for me. I don't understand why things are done as they are and we need more good talent. Will take years to get this place going.

Cons

Don't seem to be a lot of strong senior leaders. A few but not as many as my last place. Digital is not where it needs to be and when I read another review and someone said the digital head was 'spinning' they weren't kidding. Digital is not just about social it's about being innovative and doing new things. Very bull like. There need to be changes but management just ignores it.

Keep trying

Great Intern Experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at MSLGROUP as an intern for less than a year

Pros

MSL Group gives you direct access to do the work they require. From day one you will be working with VPs and deal with clientele material.

Cons

The company is behind on technology. Their email systems and computers are slow, outdated, and frustrating to use.

Spend money on better technology.

MSL - Motivation-sucking leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MSLGROUP

Pros

Nice recruiters manage to dupe some smart people to work there, so there are great peers at certain levels.

Cons

NY is a graveyard of empty offices and cubes from the dozens of resignations and then the remaining walking dead of exhausted staff picking up the excess work. Awful work/life balance; no respect or consideration for people's personal lives. Idiots in sr mgmt with no leadership skills and who love to point blame at the indians while the chiefs do no work and bring in no biz.

Reevaluate your leadership and values. People are everything in public relations and client service.

Disorganized and lacking empathy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MSLGROUP

Pros

The majority of the employees are very nice
    Employees have good ideas and are pushing for innovative campaigns
    Vice Presidents are very young in comparison to competitors

Cons

No organization to the office management system
    Discouraged from working over time
    Everyone thinks their projects are more important than yours
    Some people don't know how to take responsibility for their mistakes
    Office is a cube farm

It's a Yes & No Place/And what about digital?

Current Employee - Digital Strategist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

From what I can tell our intern program seems good and my co-workers are tremendous. Office has gone through so much change that heads are spinning, yet the accounts are good. My manager is only okay. The training program offers some classes that are great.

Cons

The leadership is average.

Digital needs improving. The digital leadership is always spinning and makes things harder. There should be a plan for digital. Our accounts need people who understand more than social from two years ago. Oh and yeah - It's not about any one person. The lead can be abusive. She made my friend pretty upset and no one seems to care. Doesn't anyone notice these things?

Fix digital or fuggadeaboutit.

Great place, if you are a favorite

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time for more than a year

Pros

good clients, good benefits, nice people to work with

Cons

if you aren't a "favorite of sr. management it is unlikely you will be put on good projects -- even if you are doing a good job.

give all staff a chance to prove themselves.

Weakness Leadership Among Top Agencies

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity for creativity with consumer accounts.

Cons

Senior leadership continues to avoid the issues at hand, a shrinking client base and mass exodus of staff in NY office. They are more concerned with promoting themselves at industry awards and taking expensive boondoggles. Senior team adds no value to bottom line.

Management needs to be hands on and start coming up with solutions to address all the many issues!

Worked for MSLGROUP? Contribute to the Community!