MSLGROUP Reviews

Reset
2.9
MSLGROUP CEO Arthur Sadoun
Arthur Sadoun

Pros
  • The company has taken an organized and responsible approach around work life balance with its "Flexibility with Accountability" program (in 4 reviews)

• Great people - the junior talent within the agency is top notch (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is a real issue (in 6 reviews)

• Employees rotate in and out like a revolving door (in 7 reviews)

Senior Account Supervisor

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An ideal place to sharpen media relations skills. Great opportunity to manage accounts and be proactive in career advancement.

Cons

Limited client rolodex and industry coverage. Limited service offerings in marketing/communication disciplines

Advice to Management

Develop broader services capabilities to broaden learning/career development for staff.

Could be great

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart staff (for the most part, of course there are always a few exceptions!), decent vacation policy and flexible work schedule.

Cons

SAS - SVPs that are ego-centric and insecure (even though they have no reason to be) tend to make the workplace toxic and negatively impact client relationships and new business opportunities. Favorites are played more here than anywhere else i have worked and even the few staff members that are lazy and have poor attitudes tend to be given new projects and accounts because they are liked by 2 or 3 leaders.

Advice to Management

You have some very hard working talented people here but they will leave if you keep acting like 5 year-olds on the playground. Grow-up, stop letting egos ruin things, stop being insecure and overly sensitive and start creating work that I know you are capable of!

Account supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Large brands, good experience, get to work with other teams, nice office

Cons

Just a cog in the machine. Senior level management doesn't care about the well being of their staff. Employees are overworked and promotions were put on hold when I was there. Also, they say they value "mobility" to transfer to other offices within their network, but they actually don't allow it and make it work for everyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of the employees, provide a nurturing place to work and allow real growth opportunities when deserved.

MSLGROUP Response

Aug 17, 2015 – Director of Corporate Communications and Marketing, North America

Our mobility program is something that we are most proud of and a differentiator for MSLGROUP. Our four-part mobility program in North America includes LION Talent which connects employees with ... More

So-So

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Great learning opportunities for entry level employees, great benefits, diverse opportunities, flexible in terms of working from home

Cons

Lots of employees work remote, which impacts communication. Pay is a bit low. There's not formal onboarding for new employees. Very poor work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Improve onboarding process for new employees, as well as communication between teams.

6. MSL

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Liked to party

Cons

clients are unrealistic about their needs

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

7. Great

Pros

Fun environment great people great line of work amazing office space

Cons

Busy office environment hard to communicate with everyone. However I do wish there were healthier snack in the office

Account Executive

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

The company is very laid back. You don't have to deal with micromanagement. Benefits are good, they give free vacation days and are off from Christmas to New Years

Cons

Horrible training. This a learn as you go company, come with experience to this role. Do not take this role if you are just learning PR. You will sink because they expect you to know everything and when you ask questions they give you attitude or refer to emails. Everyone is too busy to train or teach so know what you are doing.

Advice to Management

I was fired after just being at MSL Group for 2 months- YES that is correct 8 weeks. My team was too busy to train me and weeks later said I was performing poorly - well go figure. My advice is make sure you account for onboarding into the specific team that person will be one. Every team has its own culture. Don't assume that the employee knows it all. If you are looking for someone who know its all make sure to screen that person more thoroughly in the interview process. I left my job of 4 years to be fired after only 8 weeks. That was an injustice to me. I hope it never happens to anyone else.

9. Great place to work

Pros

MSLGROUP has an energetic and supportive environment. Employees' voices are heard, there is opportunity for growth within the firm and across its sister agencies.

Cons

There are not many cons to working at MSLGROUP. Like at many other firms, there is relatively high employee turnover, but the management is clearly working to create greater incentives for retention.

Out of money.Out of people. Out of hope.

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO. 'Integration' (basically a merger) with Publicis World Wide now....we all hope it will absorb MSL soon.

Cons

I have never seen a business care less about it's employees than MSLGROUP. No career paths, A total freeze (but they call it a 'delay'.) on raises and promotions. Managers who have NO idea how much you contribute to success....they treat everyone like they are not important (with the exception of 1 or 2 strategy people who have lied and fooled people so badly they get preferred treatment. Even though they do not generate any revenue)...and they don't care AT ALL when people resign. Even if clients leave over it. They can't hire people at all....positions open for 6-7 months and more. Of course anyone going to work here now is foolish. So many great people have left because they are old fashioned and backwards (telecommuting is no longer allowed.) but they claim to be 'digital centric' and 'forward thinking'...it's a joke. Salaries are very misaligned....and some people in the same role are 50% higher salary (and yes we all know). Leaders pit senior people against each other - and refuse to clarify roles. It's like a gladiator pit- they just let people duke it out to see who kills each other first. There is no money- like none, and every expense- no matter how small is scrutinized by the CFO and finance people. Who should have more important things to do. I heard he does it even with the SVPs. Either trust your employees or fire them. Period.

Advice to Management

Immediately bonus and give raises to people essential to your client work. 80% of all people from SAS and up are actively aggressively looking elsewhere. you've lost about half of your staff in NYC and Chicago. How many more do you need to lose before you realize the connection to the failure of your business. STOP telling your people that you are 'hitting your numbers' when in reality revenue is down drastically- but because you aren't hiring new people and others are doing the work of 3 people until they burn out- you have lowered your operating expenses. THAT IS NOT HITTING YOUR NUMBERS- that is abusing your people, for sake of a balance sheet. Which is why every time you brag about hitting your numbers a new wave of people resign. its really unethical and cruel. You know who is about to leave- what are you doing to keep them? Also- this new idea about making your leaders all be on client business- is great IN THEORY. But the rest of us are wondering who is our leader? who can we learn from? and lastly? NYC is not the center of the universe. How many pitches have you lost because you didn't have the right team in the regions clients asked for? a bunch. spread out.

Lack of leadership in Chicago, losing staff, losing accounts

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Great camaraderie among the junior staff

Cons

The MD was finally booted after 2 years of sheer incompetence, but the senior team still has a number of micromanagers who think they know how to win and keep accounts. MSLGROUP's reputation is at an all time low in the Chicago area.

RSS Feed </> Embed