MSNBC TV

Add Photos

Phil Griffin

GreatGreat cucltuerGread

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGreat co-workers, even with a strict schedule and fast information, things still got done. Care, compassion, empathy for employees. Good benefits!

ConsSomewhat hodge-podge content management system, bit clunky.

I worked with them for seven years.

Confidential (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGreat people. Good editorial work.

ConsManagement cut out their heart when NBC took over, and NBC was taken over by Comcast. The cuts there were disturbing.

Advice to Senior ManagementOriginal journalism is more important than aggregation.

Growing company but unstructured internship program

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- exciting time for company, a lot of shows gaining momentum esp. in the current political climate
    - some talented employees, but little camaraderie between workers and somewhat cold corporate culture

Cons- supervisors can be very neglectful of interns, no flexibility or training
    - interns are sort of left to float around with no real direction
    - many news programs require employees to work late into the night (as is the norm), but interns also follow this rule

Advice to Senior Management- develop a more structured internship program with real training, interaction between supervisor and interns, and direction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Network to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat location, liberal commentary, always a lot action going on

Consterrible management
    does not pay for performance well
    zero feedback
    Do not innovate, inspire, or lead the way for success

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your management teams, just because someone is good at a specific job does not mean they are good at managing people. A manager should have to people skills, the ability to teach others, and lead the way for others.

Incorporate goals and objectives to departments.

Great place

Production Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI wanted to work for a great and well respected company and news network. MSNBC seemed to allign with my career goals.

ConsUsual la di da when dealing with artistic direction and the work is very tedious and not a lot of room for growth.But there are hard times.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo complaints really just try and foster a motivational environment where opinions matter instead of having employees deal with tempermental attitudes of superiors.

If you don't mind crazy hours, it's a fine place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA solid name in news. People call you back.

ConsThe hours are crazy. It's hard to have a life when you have to be at work at 5am.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more open about changes in the company.

The most awful working experience I have ever encountered.

Production Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally, it was an awful experience. MSNBC News was one of the worst employment expeirences of my life. The best reason that I can come up with for working there is you'll be working in the building where tourists pay about 50 bucks a pop to take a tour. The prestige of that is about the only thing.

ConsEverything else. You are treated as if you are just a rat on the wheel. No respect is shown to you by senior managment. You are there for them to yell at, to release frustration and blame when their lack of communication and leadership skills fails them. You work your butt off and get not even an ounce of recognition or even acknowledgement for it. Pretty much, 95% of the people working there hate it, but realize that there is no where else to go due to the job market right now. The environment is high stress and extremely toxic in that there is nothing but negative energy from the producers. In about 3 months, you find yourself being drawn into the constant bickering, yelling and negativity going on all around you. As if that weren't enough, there is absolutely NO growth opportunity there. You rotate between PA positions, learning how to do the jobs of the other PA's and are lied to by management that this is "for your own good in your next job". Do no be fooled by this. They are simply trying to train you so that you could cover the 4am shift if someone calls out. The skills you learn in the other PA jobs will never again be useful if you do move up to being a producer. Lies, disrespect and a downright nasty working environment is what you can expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management became senior management simply because they were at the right place at the right time. They have literally zero management experience and it is painfully evident in on a daily basis that these people have not developed the ability to communicate with those they are supposed to be "managing". This usually results at someone screaming at you, either via phone, sending an angry e-mail or, if you are lucky enough to be in the control room, just flat out to your face.

Mediocre

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment to work in

ConsNot enough meaningful work opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide career track advice for interns

Worked for MSNBC TV? Contribute to the Community!