MTA Metro North Railroad

Updated January 16, 2015
3.2

MTA Metro North Railroad Thomas F. Prendergast Joseph J. Lhota
Joseph J. Lhota

Provided a good first professional experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTA Metro North Railroad as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I feel that as an intern, Metro-North provided a great way for me to gain experience. The company provided useful training, offered lectures given by upper management, and required team projects. The combination of these aspects laid the groundwork from which I continue to build my career upon. Additionally, encounters with co-workers outside of the office (at different stations and on trains) were delightful, as everyone seemed to be very friendly and happy to be doing their job.

Cons

It seemed that many people I met in the office were not excited to be there. Being surrounded by people who are unmotivated tends to resonate. Full-time employees acted jealous of how the interns were being treated, which indicated that working at MNR might not be as glorious as one might think as an intern.

The "Mad Men" of the Railroad

I worked at MTA Metro North Railroad

Pros

If Westchester County or in CT and want to work in NYC...you probably have to rely on MNR
    You could have a long career

Cons

the most diverse group is: the HR department
    if you're a women in management: good luck it's an old boys club I personally heard some exclusion stories and things made to be more difficult
    This place feels like a cultural throw-back to the 1950s

Very fast once you get access to everything. There isn't a day that goes by when you don't have a problem.

Current Employee - Operations Procurement in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Procurement in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Can advance quickly. Ride for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Politics, things that don't make sense that you can't change like the slow BSC system, and No pay raises for the last 5-7 Years as I am told.

Ask low level employees on what needs to be change because if you aren't upper management or doesn't hold weight your opinions get shot down.

Metro-North Railroad is a comfortable job where at times may be stressful, depending on your position.

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad full-time

Pros

Benefits, Work load, leadership, helpfulness

Cons

Promotions, managerial raises, union employees

Great place to start your career, just don't get stuck here.

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad full-time

Pros

There is ample opportunity for technical training if you are proactive about it. The benefits are pretty good, particularly the pension program. Also, being part of the organization that moves 83 million people per year in and out of the New York metro area is pretty cool.

Cons

As an MTA employee, you'll feel the spotlight of media and politicians who have an axe to grind against public sector workers. Also, non-agreement employees have to get used to supervising union workers who make much more than you do - not a great morale booster.

Make non-agreement salaries competitive with union wages, in order keep qualified managers from leaving for the private sector, so that the company is not getting it's leaders from the bottom of the barrel.

No flexibility, Major control freaks

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad

Pros

Benefits, decent salary, interesting coworkers.

Cons

Even senior staff members treated like minimum wage workers. No flexibility. Managers do trust their staff which is ridiculous.

If you are hiring staff with a proven track record let them do their jobs. Stop treating then like children.

Tired of not getting raise or cost of living adjustment

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good People to work with

Cons

No pay raise unless you are in the union

Find a way to reward employees

Summer Internship

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers, Office Culture, compernsation, hours, learn alot

Cons

Long wait for things to get done

Less micro management

Awesome Internship

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTA Metro North Railroad as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work. I worked as an engineering intern and felt like I had a real effect on the day to day operations of my department. Supervisors were great and the 35 hour work week for interns allows you to still enjoy summer. Good opportunities to transition to full-time employment after college. Overall good company to work with.

Cons

Occasionally have to deal with government bureaucracy but not too much.

The most frustrating and dysfunctional company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Electrician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Electrician in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA Metro North Railroad full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Satisfactory pay and good benefits. Free MNRR transportation. Steady employment for as long as you like, although this may mean being stuck in the same position, doing the same job, at the same rate of pay, for decades.

Working on trains is actually enjoyable. New trains are being deployed, old ones are being retired, and MNRR actually feels like a modern railroad now.

Cons

Management. Never in my life have I been so frustrated in my efforts to do a good job every day I go to work. When I spend more time walking on eggshells around management's delicate feelings, rather than concentrating on equipment issues, it's a recipe for disaster.

If you have a disdain for office politics, don't bother applying. Facilities at MNRR are akin to fiefdoms, with lords who rule over them with a petty, iron fist. Apparently, MNRR supervisor training advocates talking to employees like they're children, because the disrespect and condescension is so common.

So that leaves the actual job. It is ok, as I enjoy electrical work and enjoy trains. I cannot seem to advance, which is not ok. I am a lot more experienced and educated than my contemporaries, yet I am stymied. I have been passed over for outside hires. This is a common occurrence. For a job that relies on experience working with trains, that is very strange.

Stop being so nit-picky with disciplinary issues and concentrate more on equipment issues. Want an example? Supervisors crowd around the time clock in the morning to dock people's pay if they are not considered properly dressed for work. These same supervisors ignored my pleas about equipment freezing in the extreme cold weather of mid-December 2013. These same supervisors were surprised and perplexed when equipment actually froze!
    People are promoted here based on who they know, not actual job knowledge, and that's nearly all of the problems with the MNRR right now. Case in point: nearly all of MNRR's training department is hired from the outside (mostly from Kawasaki, they build trains) and aren't knowledgeable about railroad rules and operating procedures. How is this possible?

MTA Metro North Railroad Photos