MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.2

Thomas F. Prendergast

Pros
  • Great benefits, standard 8-hour work days, major company to put on resume (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits, job security, plus free transportation pass (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No upward movement and no room to make more money (in 3 reviews)

• Insufficient benefits, no pension,no tuition reimbursement, horrible union etc (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Working here has been satisfying.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Jamaica, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in Jamaica, NY

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good work enviornment, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Location of the work place isn't so nice

All seems good for now.

MTACC offers a broad exposure to many engineering fields that are diverse and challenging.

Current Employee - Communications Engineer
    Current Employee - Communications Engineer

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits. MTACC culture allows employees to learn other engineering fields of study (both practical and theoretical.

Cons

Very Intense work environment. Major engineering firms providing services to MTACC do not have a firm understanding of MTA NYCT practices thus making it difficult to get your job done.

Good career path and excellent benefits at NYC Transit

Former Employee - Prin Trans Planner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prin Trans Planner in New York, NY

I worked at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There was a lot of room for career growth and advancement opportunities. NYC Transit is the highest paid MTA State Agency. Benefits included a Pension, Deferred Comp, and great Medical Benefits just to name a few. The free employee MetroCard saved me hundreds of dollars per year in transportation costs.

Cons

It's difficult to get people to retire. Some employees are so comfortable they act like they never want to leave. At a certain point, they need to give the next generation a chance to grow and prosper with the company. Also, I wasn't a big fan of the timekeeping system. All employees were required to clock in and out.

A lot of the Managers are old timers and have been with the company a long time. They could use some younger Management with fresh new and innovative ideas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As average as work can get.

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Pros

Very easy, not challenging.

Cons

No autonomous thinking, no bonusses for hard work

Incentivise

It's All About Who You Know!!!

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Benefits
    - Pension
    - Transit pass for unlimited public transportation usage
    - Job Security
    - If you get in the union you really need to kill someone to get fired

Cons

- Lack of Growth if you don't know the right people
    - No Managerial salary increases in over five years
    - Lack of Diversity
    - Tons of incompetent employees waiting to retire or just don't care

- The workforce needs a infusion of youth.
    - Higher wages
    - Neoptism needs to be discussed and evaluated.

Enjoyed my tenure at MTA.

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

Pros

Great benefits. Wearing multiple hats of responsibility, affords one the opportunity to acquire excellent transferable skills.

Cons

MTA's agencies are political (hiring -who do you know?). Promotions too often based on longevity rather than merit.

MTA agencies are a bureaucracy. Management is too concerned about losing their benefits/ pensions and job to change the status quo. They go along to get along.

Good place to work for

Current Employee - Bus Operator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Bus Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity for career is amazing if all you want is to work there for ever.

Cons

Schedules. Some supervisors do not act as they are suppose to they seem to think they have empowerment towards the driver's

Looking for someone to give me a chance, a gamble, take a risk.

Current Employee - Police District Administrator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Police District Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great medical/dental benefits and Tuition Reimbursement. Great co-workers who come to work, to work!

Cons

CAREER CHANGE. I’ve been working for the department for over 12 years with no issues, problems, complaints. The job offers tuition reimbursement AND supposedly internal applicants are looked upon first for job considerations but it’s frustrating that after over 20 applications submitted you do not even get 1 call for “interview practice”. Not to mention your resume never reaching a specific individual for a job. Makes you feel like certain individuals are trying to hold you back.

It would be great to implement some type of employee evaluation, incentive. Review the employee on a yearly at least to see if they have improved on their skills. Take their newly skills and education into consideration and offer some type of motivation, encouragement, and monetary benefit.

great place to retire from

Current Employee - Manager  in  Queens Village, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Queens Village, NY

Pros

good pay ,good benefits, large assortment of jobs Go to work on time don't steal anything that don't belong to you. Learn to play golf, softball buy drinks.Learn to buy drinks, and protect your boss.

Cons

like working for politicians,cheats and lairs this a great place to be. If your thin sinned get some leathers.Ethics rare for show. these people are the real high paid politicians that work for the low paid politicians.

Terrible UNPROFESSIONAL bunch of bullies.

Former Employee - HRIS Operations Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - HRIS Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It was a decent paycheck while looking for a reputable job on Wall Street. There were a few people there that were professional towards the temps. There was flexibility if you had an interview to get to.

Cons

This is a civil service job which means a good amount of the people that take these jobs are the bottom of the barrel. The behavior and demeanor towards the temps were horrible. I would never want to work in an enviroment like that if I didn't have to.

You can't expect the workers to be professional if managment is unprofessional as well. It's like they went to the NYPD jail cells and hired every one! I know I am strictly corporate america, but there is no excuse for what went on in that place. My advice to management is: 1- GROW UP! 2- THE PLACE NEEDS TO BE RUN LIKE CORPORATE AMERICA!

Worked for MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority? Contribute to the Community!