MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas F. Prendergast

Pros
  • Great benefits, standard 8-hour work days, major company to put on resume(in 4 reviews)

• good benefits, job security, plus free transportation pass(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No upward movement and no room to make more money(in 3 reviews)

• Insufficient benefits, no pension,no tuition reimbursement, horrible union etc(in 3 reviews)

Slow and boring. Everyone working here describes it as a place you come to retire soon after.

Estimating/Scheduling (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey definitely took time out of their busy schedules to teach me a lot.

ConsEven though I am aiming to achieve my BS in Electrical Engineering, they gave me position of Estimating Intern. So now I have experience in something I really do not care for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give the interns relative work experience according to their major.

typical government agency

Transportation Planner (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proseasy work, good benefits, flexible schedule

Consboring; office politics; less challenging

Advice to Senior Managementhire more young people

A government agency suits for students to gain internship experience.

Contracts Management Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople stayed there for long and have very much to offer interns to learn. Great office atmosphere. Colleagues and manager(s) are willing to teach. MTA has great pension plans if you can stick around.

ConsCompensation won't be as competitive on an annual basis as other corporations. Work pace might not be as intensive as companies and won't expose those who pursue high pressure work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure staff and hiring strategy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Temped there for 1.5 years

Data Entry (Current Employee) Long Island City, NY

ProsThe people, the worker bees to be exact, are great. The staff is wonderfully diverse. However, temping anywhere is tough because you are a second class citizen.

ConsManagement is not that intelligent. If I was a permanent employee, I would stay until the day I die. A pension. Free metro cards. Tons of vacation days.. Every permanent employee takes one day a week off, it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into the 20th century (forget the 21st!) and get rid of all that paper. I have never seen so many manila folders in my life. This department (access a ride) keeps the manila folder industry in business. Hello. Keep killing those trains.

It was a new experience, first time begin a carpenter steward over such a larg,addressing of all the carpenter concern

Carpenter Steward (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEveryday week and sometimes everyday was different and new. My friends and I would discuss how to complete every new task vigorously.

ConsWorking outdoors was a annoying,because the weather was somewhat unpredictable at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think communication is one of the key elements to having a successful team.

IT Department

ProsGood life and work balance.

ConsBenefit is getting worse and worse.

car inspector

Car Inspector (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood money very good benefites good good

Constemporary, dirty job atmosphere but good

Summer Office Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe workers are friendly and show you how to do things.

ConsYou are constantly on your feet.

A good experience.

Administrative Intern (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe need of public transportation will always increase, giving security for your job.

ConsPay is not up to other companies. Required length experience is to long.

Advice to Senior Managementleadership should be better

A relaxed Job

Management & Sales Internship (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is great. If you are in it for the long term career then the retirement benefits are also very nice. The feel of the company is very relax and laid back.

ConsLittle opportunity for growth in my opinion. Hopefully over time this can changed since this is a major company in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your interns and let them learn more instead of having them just do tasks.

Worked for MTA - Metropolitan Transportation Authority? Contribute to the Community!