MTN Group (South Africa)

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Think MTN if you want to learn Telecom

Field Service Engineer/Service Management Center Engineer (Current Employee) Accra (Ghana)

ProsSuperiors were willing to share knowledge and team work was one of the greatest thing I learnt at MTN.

ConsGetting SMC to escalate faults on time was a major issue since it was every Engineer's aspiration to solve faults within MTTR.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must do everything possible not to loose their experienced staff to competitors.

A very good one,although cost cutting does leave a sour taste at times

Transmission Engineer (Current Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsMost departments have a good team spirit. Managers do tend to appreciate their employees - I have worked in two very different departments now and the sentiment is the same. Network group is a competitive environment and wil show rewards for those in it for the long haul.

ConsDue to the major cost cutting efforts, increases, bonuses, promotions are stunted at the moment. Degree'd engineers aren't always recognized for the true potential they hold and can end up in dead end projects.

One of the greatest mobile operators in the world

Facility Maintenance Team Leader (Former Employee) Esfahān (Iran)

Prosit is one of the most beautiful company that i worked ... one of the friendliest environment ... hope to be one of the best company in coming years. however it was!

Conspoor management on the other branches special Iran (MTNIRC). it was the most important that annoyed all the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a great company with a great product

Cs Core Network Engineer (Current Employee) Durban (France)

Pros13 years working for MTN i felt that my time and energy was always appreciated and that building a network for MTN was always valued

Conson my last 5 years at MTn, the company was undergoing internal changes while responding to market changes,. It was never clear why change at a management level was never transparent and new leaders were placed in charge not based on merit ....

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the staff more, provide more employee perks

Good place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will love it as an expat

ConsBetter to be a FTE than a consultant/contractor

Advice to Senior ManagementExit procedure needs to be more transparent to all

A South African Telecommunications company with a Global footprint

Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsI worked in the Key Account Division, the commissions were great, and as long as you remain target focused, independent in thought and confident in your abilities - it is a financially rewarding department to work in.

ConsIf you over achieve in th sales division - movement to other divisions is challenging.
    1) Management wont be too keen to let you go
    2) Other departments are not negotiable on the salaries to accomodate sales people moving into their department regardless on experience or qualifications as commisions take you too far up on the salary band.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome wmployees are worth paying a bit more to keep within the organization, as too many employees need to leave first and get re-employed at a higher level...Or they leave to join competing telco's which is obviously not beneficial to MTN as it invested so much in that employee over the years.
    Mentooring programs need to be created to motivate performers into seeing career growth within the company.

Well Established Brand World Wide

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsOften rewarded with shares and good bonuses.

ConsCompany runs lean and mean so you have to work hard while wondering how secure your job really is.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparant.

Growth, Coherence and Cultural Differences!

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsDefinitely a good place for growth where the group itself is growing rapidly thanks to operations like Nigeria, Ghana and Iran.
    Coherence is the first thing you sense if you work in different operations, the brand, the spirit and practices give you additional boost.
    Overall employee financial benefits are great specifically if you're an expatriate, local salaries vary and depend very much on the country management.

ConsCultural differences, MTN was present in Africa only, in 2006 it acquired Investcom and hence got a footprint in the Middle East, the merger was tough and the transition claimed victims, however, MTN managed to impose its culture over the middle eastern operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep mobilizing your top talents, you are not doing enough!

Vast & extensive experience in telecom in emerging market with a very aggressive approach in cost sensitive environments

Innovations Manager (Former Employee) Accra (Ghana)

ProsGreat career path & development, easy to work at environment, full delegation, dynamic team, and ample tools to work with

Conslong hours & sometimes days at work, aggressive business plan & market approach which requires a 100% throughput at all time

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity of Expats

I'm working 2 MTN comp,since 10 years and more..it's a satisfied experience

ProsRealy it's from the best company in my country

Consjust the salary is not fair enough

Advice to Senior Management***

Worked for MTN Group (South Africa)? Contribute to the Community!