MTS Allstream

Updated February 26, 2015
2.7

MTS Allstream CEO Pierre J. Blouin
Pierre J. Blouin

Pros
  • Good work life balance, opportunities for personal and professional growth (in 8 reviews)

• Work from home with top notch hardware/network to facilitate this (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of appreciation from senior management for the revenue consultants generate (in 3 reviews)

• Union environment makes it hard to move up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

PLM Solution Architect

Former Employee - PLM SA in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - PLM SA in Cary, NC

I worked at MTS Allstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open environment and lot of oppurtunities

Cons

Top level mgmt change
    not good compensatoin

stop changing

Continually changing without any changes

I have been working at MTS Allstream

Pros

Good pay. Good experience. Union

Cons

Lack of good upper management direction. Continually say and do the same things and wonder why they get the same results when looking for change. Consistently lose or let go of good talented employees while continuing to protect and nurture the same old less talented employees who are much better at conversing by the water cooler than they are at doing there jobs.
    Union

Clean out the SLT and closely related management by getting rid of the folks that have been there for 20+ years. They clearly are only able to steer the ship in one direction which is evident by the companies status over this long period of time.

Good place to work

I worked at MTS Allstream

Pros

great team, good people, good pay

Cons

too much water cooler chatter and politics

Lay Offs NON STOP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MTS Allstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Teleworking and great people . location is amazing too

Cons

Too many lay offs every year and pay is crap

Process and Support Analyst

I worked at MTS Allstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly skilled employees, casual dress

Cons

This is old news but I had to share. Where do I begin? I worked here for a brief period of 2 years in the 2000s. None of the people who were there at the time are still employed by this company. The axe-wielders ended up getting it in the neck. Live by the sword and you die by the sword...
    They began to implemented a system of "Quality" throughout the organization which was really nothing more than a witch-hunt to lay people off and to assign blame.
    - PM Teams were nothing more than projects sponsored by managers who wanted to get stuff removed or shifted off their plate
    - No accountability by managers they were just scared of "day oners" well-placed with management
    - stock bonuses were prime drivers doing the "right thing" for the customers was laughed at and derided as a flaw in thinking
    - naked ambition would pit employees against each other to save their behinds
    - In case of men or women going for a job reporting to a male manager the hottest female candidate will be guaranteed to get the job (especially one with the biggest rack)
    - Matrix Management - this company is the poster child of this style with disastrous results! See Microsoft downfall as the prime example of what not to do. High prospects of conflict and bad internal relations were day to day normal functions
    - open challenges and HR type pay discussions held in the forum of team meetings
    - meetings 20 to 25 hours per week - 60 to 70 hour weeks i.e. no work life balance
    - the quality teams especially brought out the worst in people

Support the employees who really care about the company. Don't allow management to make this job and episode of Survivor by supporting this behaviour.

Picture an innovative, collaborative, proactive company. Allstream is the OPPOSITE of that.

I have been working at MTS Allstream

Pros

There are many good people at Allstream. They work hard and fulfill their duties. Colleagues are gracious and kind.

Cons

Senior Leadership complains about a culture of indifference. And the President perpetually claims "It Starts With You!" However, he fails to see that it starts with him. Management style is closed off and reactive. I applaud the "Visions 2015" Summit - However, a single event cannot change a company's culture.

A colleague of mine said in all of his/her time at Allstream "I've yet to experience collaborative and proactive management." This is frustrating to employees who want to see the company succeed. Non-negotiable, unrealistic timelines are coupled with a lack of resources. By the time employees complete projects (often times with little pride as we are not given proper lead time and feel that we have been forced into a "bare minimum" situation), we are so run down that the thought of promoting change seems impossible.

Get off of the 14th floor and really see what is going on inside your company. Share openly with the people directly below you, ensure they are sharing openly with those below them and so on. Not once a year. EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME. The best ideas often come from the very bottom.

If company culture and politics do not change, I do not see a bright future for Allstream. Open communication promotes proactive solutions. Employees feel valued when they are in the loop. A strong brand starts with a strong internal culture. We don't know who we are. Mike Strople, it starts with you.

Great Telecom which is struggling for a place in Canada

I worked at MTS Allstream

Pros

Flex work and people are perhaps the best thing going.

Cons

Training, legacy equipment needs to go faster.

Carve that niche out as best as you can.

Not for me

Former Employee - Senior Customer Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MTS Allstream

Pros

The pay is competitive. The company has potential.

Cons

Company doesn't invest in employees. Very limited opportunities to move. Bonuses and benefits aren't very good.

Invest in the employees. See the benefits of training and development.

Its been a mixed bag. The Telecom industry is very competitive so the focus becomes too short term.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MTS Allstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The teleworking option is great.
    There are a lot of very great people here wiling to go the extra mile to deliver customized solutions for clients. It can be very exciting to deliver such unique products.

Cons

Teleworking has sometimes been used as a lever for performance management, this approach seems to come more from paranoia than reality.

Focus on the long term. I think they have started on that path recently but we have changed direction often in the past so hopefully we stick to this.
    There is still a sense of privilege with the level of management. Make sure you empower the right people to make customer affecting decisions otherwise you are just like the big Telcos.

OK

I have been working at MTS Allstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generally good people working in operations
    Good work life balance depending on the department you work at

Cons

very little opportunities to move up as the company is not growing

Create new products
    Partner with other tech companies
    Invest in your people