MTS Systems Reviews

Reset
2.3
MTS Systems President & CEO Jeffrey A. Graves
Jeffrey A. Graves

Pros
  • Great work life balance - able to work core 9-3hours and have flexibility and no micromanaging (in 4 reviews)

• Good people, fair pay and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • MTS has been enforcing mandatory week long or more layoffs during Christmas and the 4th of July (3 so far) (in 3 reviews)

• Jeff Graves comes from an engineering background (in 4 reviews)

Excellent Engineering Challenges

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very happy to work exciting projects that are a real engineering challenge. A lot of great people that are focused on making customers happy with our products. I love this environment.

Cons

We are changing as we get bigger. It's great to see the hiring of good engineers and growth of the company, but we are still behind the curve and catching up. I will be great to be ahead of the curve at some point!

Advice to Management

I feel better about our senior management engagement in the business. Seeing our CEO and other leaders on the manufacturing floor is great. Keep it up!

Interview and onboarding

Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interviewers were knowledge and transparent about the company's culture and needs for the role I would fill.
    The interview schedule and proces was explained upfront and there were no surprises. Everyone I met at MTS was on time and professional.

The onboarding process was the most efficient process I've ever experience in my career. I loved the automation part of this step!

Cons

Time invested with all the interviews.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind to new ideas from your new team members.

3. Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying to transform for the future, but all employees need to understand change is needed to grow even though we may not all agree with some of it. The newest manager over the floor should be running the entire facility. He treats the employees with respect and listens to what they say although for now what he can do is limited by his title we all hope one day he will be leading the way and we hope he doesn't change.

Cons

Front line employees stuck in the past. Most have terrible attitudes due to lack of knowledge of other companies. Employees are angry that they have start times and scheduled break times and are no longer allowed to just come and go as they please. Last time I checked this is how every company operates. Get with the times people in order to be successful and continue growth a company must have structure.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and find a middle ground that is okay for everyone. Change is good but too much too fast can back fire and that's what is happening. Some middle managers need to go they are uneducated and should not be in the positions they are in. They talk in circles and never give answers. The ones in particular that have managed the floor have lost all respect by the employees on the floor and the managers they currently oversee. Get rid of middle managers and moral will shoot through the roof

Time for Change

I worked at MTS Systems full-time

Pros

Talented engineers solving complex issues on very technical equipment and hard working dedicated shop workers.

Cons

Upper management mainly concerned about stock price, stock options, bonus and their parachute .
    Operations is being ruined by a psycho control freak driving the "clown car" creating a negative environment and blaming everyone else.
    "blue collar " workers are treated as second class citizens and just labor hours on a spread sheet.

Advice to Management

Send the " clown car " packing before it is too late

Great opportunities, poor management

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and amazing products. Able to learn a lot from very experienced people. Enjoy coming into work everyday that their is work to be done.

Cons

Mismanaged. Managers do not take input from their employees and blindly follow orders from above due to fear of loosing their job. Forced overtime even when there is no work to be done.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they have experience and know what they are talking about. This is not assembly line manufacturing. These are custom engineering solutions that require complex designs and in depth troubleshooting from top to bottom.

7. Installing Digital Clocks at Entrances

Current Employee - Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time

Pros

It's a job and many of my peers understand that.

Cons

I rate it one star because I can't go any lower. Do you want to work at the kind of place that is installing digital clocks at the entrances? Seriously?

Appeal to the Board of Directors

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We in Engineering are the heart and soul of MTS. We are respected world wide by our customers.

Cons

The current CEO has been here to long. He has made promises to the investor, the board of directors, and the media that we can't possibly meet and he's doing some damaging short term things to the business that will hurt us long after he is gone. He has missed quarter after quarter with no repercussion yet he always threatens us employees. Everybodys job is at risk but his and morale keeps sinking further and further. Its very hard to work for this guy. Please please bring in new leadership

Advice to Management

This advice is to the board, an appeal, begging even... Please, please remove the CEO and bring in a new more realistic leader. It's long overdue. Afterall, in baseball you dont leave a pitcher in the game who keeps giving up homers to the other team. Do you? Replace him and lets get back to the basics and make this company shine again.

Recently left MTS and so happy that I did.

Former Employee - Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at MTS Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I recently left MTS and I must admit, I do miss the cool projects I got to work on. The work is challenging, interesting, and you learn from some of the smartest engineers in the world.

Cons

Management. Ummm, management. Oh yeah, did I mention management? The CEO (JG) is not an engineer. He is not a businessman. He is a politician. And not a very good one considering everyone seems to be able to see right through him except for the board. I'm very surprised he's still around. Management, in general, are businessmen running an engineering company that they don't know a thing about, how it works, or how to make it more efficient. Instead, they put in place rules to make their people seem less human, that only demoralizes the workers.

Advice to Management

Advice to the board; short term stock gain is not worth the long-term effects. Fire the CEO and anyone that doesn't truly believe that the people that work there are the most important asset to the company.

Operations

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technicians can work on multi-million dollar multi-month projects and travel the world installing them.

Cons

The operations management has failed for the past year. Technicians working in production are not allowed to fill their coffee cups except at 8:45AM break. Technicians working on multi-million dollar multi-month projects are getting reprimanded for being 1 minute late. Operations management has convinced their peers that each hour of direct labor equals so many dollars. Technicians are forced to work 10% overtime with no consideration for workload.

Advice to Management

We are not a toaster factory, we build custom products. If a handful of technicians leave for greener pastures a few of the most expensive product lines would be in huge trouble.

Bumble, Stumble, and Fumble

Current Employee - Assembler
    Current Employee - Assembler

I have been working at MTS Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees on the front line, both upstairs and down. Despite all the miscues from management these people strive to do their best.

Cons

1. Graves
    2..Problems building on time
    3. Problems shipping on time
    4. Late fees
    5. Unpredictable
    6. Antiquated building
    7. 3PL
    8. Morale
    9. Do or die outlook

Advice to Management

Leave if you can find your way thru all the smoke and mirrors.

RSS Feed </> Embed