MTV Networks
www.mtv.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

MTV Networks Reviews

Pros:
  • "upper management for my dept is very laid back so work life balance is definitely present"
    in 19 reviews
  • "the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "They also don't really value a work-life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

I have been working at MTV Networks

ProsEnergetic, exciting, fair hours, good opportunities

ConsLong hours, Times Square office

A good learning experience for low pay

Freelance Copywriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at MTV Networks

ProsLoved my co-workers, had supportive boss, learned a lot in a growing field

ConsDisorganization, low morale, poor management decisions, narrow mindedness about investment in departments that are growing (there's a constant drumbeat of meeting financial goals -- even when the company is in the black and doing well. This leads to hiring freezes and even layoffs in 2011, on the heels of one of the company's best years on record.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey employees. What do they like about working at MTVN? What are problems specific to their group/division? What would make them feel more motivated to work hard for the company and feel apart of something bigger than their individual responsibilities and duties? One common thread I heard from middle managers was a lack of constructive feedback from their superiors, in addition to conflicting and often vague directives. I heard from a number of managers a feeling of insecurity about what exactly it was their managers wanted from them, which made them feel helpless and unmotivated. It also affected the direction they gave to their subordinates. There's a culture of clock-watching and a sense of powerlessness as a cog in the huge Viacom machine. Employees face layoffs and managers can't hire, with the exception of freelancers, which contributes to a lack of continuity, loyalty and long-term thinking. It's too bad b/c employees are passionate about their subject areas (of expertise and entertainment area) and very creative. Smart people work here, which is one aspect of the company I really appreciate.

Excellent opportunity for hands-on experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

ProsGreat opportunity to meet with creative people, young hip environment, intriguing assignments, respectable staff, fun and engaging atmosphere, nice place!

ConsSmall opportunities for skilled employees to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees out with stronger advancement opportunities.

Enjoyable but it felt temporary

Production Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at MTV Networks

Prosif you enjoy pop culture, it's a great place to be

Consoverworked, underpaid, they think they're doing you a favor, very dependent on how much you like your co workers

Wonderful, creative stepping stone and a real resume builder.

Video Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at MTV Networks

ProsLax work environment. Great hours. Top 40 Talent. Constant change and life. Competitiveness. Subsidized lunch.

ConsBureaucracy. Lack of structure can be frustrating. Times square location annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to ideas that can come from anywhere, not just a VP position.

Fun, easy going, frantic, energetic

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

ProsWorking at MTV looks great on your resume. The work is fairly easy and with the relaxed environment, it's like you're getting paid to hang out with your friends. You keep current with everything and there are plenty of opportunities to have after work interactions.

ConsMTV is very top heavy and too many people get by doing nothing and running off of other people's work. Management is wholly incompetent and all about nepotism and HR doesn't do anything when you have departments complain. They don't really practice the work life balance they preach and expect you to do everything with the group after work. Benefits aren't really all that and there wasn't much of an advantage at working there because discounts were almost non existent and there were no media benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your asses and cut out the info.patent people. You don't value employee loyalty and do nothing as far as employee satisfaction is concerned. There is too much waste and pay is crap.

Starter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

ProsThis is a fun and seemingly wonderful place to start a career, from interning up.

ConsOnce you settle in you'll realize the management and senior level management aren't always seeing eye to eye or coordinating between departments. Budgets are always getting cut and the employee turnover rate seems to get higher and higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoordinate and get it together. Stop letting talent go.

This place is a giant intern mill

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros- Looks great on a resume
- Get to work for well known networks
- People are friendly for the most part

ConsMTV takes advantage of all the free labor they can get. It is super easy to get an intern position at MTVN, but once you graduate, forget about getting hired there. The useless "internship seminars" are just in place to make it seem like they are interested in watching you grow into a prospective MTV employee. It's all phony. Don't waste your time. Seek a better internship elsewhere where you actually have a chance of getting hired after graduation. I honestly think they post fake positions on the career site just to keep the HR recruiters busy. Ridiculous.

Not a terrible place to work

I have been working at MTV Networks

ProsThere is some prestige in saying that you work at MTV Networks

ConsAt my network, there is little room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementInformation sharing is paramount. Take the time to solicit ideas/concerns/suggestions from employees (the ones who are actually doing the work, not the executives). You might learn some things.

Fun, Exciting Environment with Great Potential

Segment Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at MTV Networks

ProsIf TV (not really music, ironically) is your thing then it doesn't really get much better than working for MTV. I worked through the ranks from PA to AP to Segment Producer and had a heck of time doing it. Fun environment, great people, exciting work....and if you're good at it and keep your producers happy there's plenty of room for growth.

ConsFreelance...so you're working show to show. Not a huge problem if you're good at it and people like you but if either of those two things aren't the case...good luck!

Advice to Senior Managementn/a - good stuff all around.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MTV Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MTV Networks CEO Philippe P. Dauman. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by MTV Networks employees.