MTV Networks

www.mtv.com

MTV Networks Reviews

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't really value a work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them(in 14 reviews)

Great reference but projects were uninspiring

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent reference and great networking opportunities. Great exposure to industry trends, technologies and products. Fun and laid back work environment.

ConsProjects and tasks were very low responsibility compared to other internships I have completed. They do not compensate for travel, which made interning difficult.

very frustrating, highly uncreative, oppressively corporate

Designer/Animator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMTV used to look good on your resume, but i think it's losing it's novelty in the industry

ConsVery incompetent upper management. Art Director I worked for was a tyrant - a totally uninspiring leader and terrible communicator!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the creative people you have working for you, you're lucky to have them

It is a fun time in a creative place.

Programming Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is no dress code. The people you work with. Getting to see and work for celebrities. Seeing your work on the air everyday.

ConsThe compensation is a little low compared to other companies. Advancement depends more largely upon time spent with the company, than with work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper tier management seems great, although I have had little interaction with them. The more middle management types, however, sometimes seem out of place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place is a giant intern mill

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Looks great on a resume
    - Get to work for well known networks
    - People are friendly for the most part

ConsMTV takes advantage of all the free labor they can get. It is super easy to get an intern position at MTVN, but once you graduate, forget about getting hired there. The useless "internship seminars" are just in place to make it seem like they are interested in watching you grow into a prospective MTV employee. It's all phony. Don't waste your time. Seek a better internship elsewhere where you actually have a chance of getting hired after graduation. I honestly think they post fake positions on the career site just to keep the HR recruiters busy. Ridiculous.

Great place to work

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are really nice and they respect each other
    Young crowd
    Good name
    Good location (times square)
    You learn a lot
    Flexible work hours

ConsNo compensation for interns. They should at least give free breakfast or lunch or travel compensation to their interns

Great Work/Life Balance - sacrifice pay

Coordinator, Programming (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing atmosphere. You work with friends, no dress code, and MTV overall has a lot to offer as far as perks go. Great hours, Great content, Great colleagues. The Lodge cafeteria at 1515 is also a major pro. Flexible schedules.

ConsSalary. It's the downfall of the company. Employees are not rewarded for loyalty or hardwork. There is a lot of HR rhetoric that gets thrown around when one tries to stand up for themselves or ask for raises. I have seen a lot of good people get laid off, pushed out and denied requests for political reasons but, Viacom is a major corporation and with that comes a lot of office politics. The atmospher has shifted to a much more corporate environment over the last few years, which has affected company-wide morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever use other employees to state your case why I shouldn't get what I ask for... it's the worst when you feel you are in a socialistic environment and hard work doesn't pay off.. literally.

a fun, young environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFast paced environment that seamlessly blends corporate drives with creativity.

ConsVery fast paced, can be chaotic at times. Also, mostly free lance positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, everyone was very approachable and a great communicator.

Great place to work in most respects

Director (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCo-workers - a great group of creative people most of the time
    Pay - better than the average
    Benefits - way better than the average
    Perks like great parties, musical events and shows

ConsEgos can be huge thus annoying. Any creative group in entertainment has a tendancy toward tons of drama. Lots of nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really isn't rocket science. Get over yourself , do the right thing for the company and stop thinking of only your career.

Great place to learn the industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMTVN is filled with creative and talented people. It is a great place to learn and grow given the opportunity.

ConsManaging a large team can be hard but giving some more insight to the bigger picture of the company is lacking. This could help in the day to day operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to learn but the hours are very intense. Employees can get burned out.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood hours, nice people, summer fridays. IT has been a really great experience and I have learned a lot from everyone here

Consthere arent really any downsides. The experience has been great and I really recommend working here if you are looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice for management. overall great support system and great people to work with here definitely.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!