MTV Networks

Updated January 10, 2015
3.8

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They are very considerate about work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

239 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

PRODUCTION

Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Very personable co-workers. Every one is very friendly making the work environment welcoming. Promotions often come from within the company opposed to hiring from an outside source making it easy to move up in the ranks.

Cons

Some lack he competence to do complete projects without supervision. Job can get repetitive at times in office and traveling is a must. This can b nice at times but having to fly to LA once a month can get boring.

Make sure to hire on a trial period before long term commitment.

Left disappointed

Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Lots of fun stuff to do while you're supposed to be working. No one really pays attention to your work. You don't even have to be good at what you do.

Cons

Your colleagues will have the same "pros" which means they get away with not working and the one person that does work has to do all of it.

Pay attention to who works and who doesn't. There ready people in this company just getting by and lying about there qualifications. Once you leave MTV is when you know what real work is.

Time served in the HR department :(

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, perks, work/ life balance, competitive benefits (paid leave), reasonable time off- vacation depending on level, 12 major holidays, plus sick/personal days, plus addition time off (moving and marriage days)
    tuition reimbursement, program ,events, friendly staff and in house cafeteria. Employees had a strong brand loyalty! Looks great on the resume, great brand recognition across the board.

Cons

Lifers on the HR team. Promotions are highly possible for those who are favored only. Favoritism was displayed constantly, very political and catty at times. The SVP's (at the time we had at least 3) of HR only cared about their client group and immediate team members only.
    The team overall had a hand full of lazy, rude, disrespectful, negative and ill motivated workers that were permitted not to work. A bit of an oxymoron for an HR team I would say.

I was verbally abused/ disrespected for roughly 2 years, I was in tears constantly and felt like crap at work. The HR leaders knew my boss was NASTY and nothing was done about it, in fact she was repeatedly promoted.

I applied for multiple HR roles and never was I seriously considered for any of the roles- they always hired externally instead-no internally mobility. At the time they rather train a new hire verses giving a current employee an opportunity. The last straw, the recruiter even had the never to encourage me to interview for a role and all along she was also interested and under consideration for the same role...she ended up getting the job...go figure.

The last few years were no better, members of my team didn't work, went to the gym during work hours and barely came to work but all was ok because as the slave I was doing all the work. I was left to feel undervalued, abused and taken advantage of. Not sure why I stayed as long as I did but I'm glad I did finally leave.

HR salaries were not competitive for some but those that were favored were highly compensated-go favoritism!

Many organizations don't care about the negative rating when many candidates are waiting on line to work for their company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Great Benefits, many opportunities to learn and grow. Workplace culture is a plus.

Cons

Salaries could be better for departments hat support the more "glamorous" departments.

unexpected place

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- HR team made the interns feel welcomed
    - learning opportunities outside of your area of interest/internship responsibilities
    - talented staff
    - work/life balance seems good

Cons

- people are too busy to talk/teach you things
    - couldn't tell if people were actually happy to be working there

Don't treat your interns as people who do your work for you, instead actually take the time to get to know them and mentor them. An internship is a two way street. It would be nice to compensate the interns too - unpaid internships are unjust in so many ways.

Hit the ground running. and never looked back

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cultural diversity, perks and travel opportunities.

Cons

long hours, tight deadlines and depending on your luck a crazy boss

Lookout for the Layoff Cycle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MTV Networks and Viacom offer greta benefits, a generally laid back culture and work environment. Projects revolving around entertainment in the building and outside keep interest high and it's great resume eye candy.

Cons

Fear of layoffs and/or cutbacks and lack of legitimate advancement opportunities hinder many looking for long term career goals. Lack of transparency among management stokes a ridiculous rumor mill that cultivates the cyclical culture of fear. So much work gets done by recent college grads landing in Manhattan that the workday seems to be on a noon to 9p cycle. While some would laud the lack of a 9-5 culture, it often hinders commuters and those seeking family life.

Great place to work, if you can stand the heat

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality of life, flex hours and embrace of all walks of life make this place worth considering. Did I mention Summer Fridays?

Cons

It's a great brand to work on, and they know it. Will work you to the bone, but those who can cut it will rise to the top. Salary may be a little lower than some competitors....

Internship

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

you learn a ton about the industry!

Cons

If you are a fall intern there is way too much down time. Pitches to airing happens winter though summer so the fall can be very boring.

Great place to go from entry level to manager position

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In many ways, depending on the department, there are so many un-answered questions for how cable will survive the digital era, you can feel like you're working in a startup environment even though you're in a corporation of 10,000 people

Cons

A common complaint among the under 30 set is the feeling that you are stuck in a role unless you leave for a higher position at another company and come back after a few years.

Provide more training opportunities for managers and young employees who have leadership potential to become directors and VPS