MTV Networks Reviews

Reset
3.5
MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • They are very considerate about work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • They also don't really value a work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management Goldfish syndrome (30 second memory inside a glass bowl) (in 14 reviews)

1. Production Management

Current Employee - Unit Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your coworkers end up becoming some of your best friends.

Cons

There are currently a lot of changes and reorg happening within the company.

2. Cultural Divide

Former Employee - Library Coordinator in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Library Coordinator in Fairfield, CT

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to get training and volunteer for Viacommunity projects as well. There's no stratosphere of upper-level execs that are unreachable, everyone is very down to earth and the culture is laid back (or as laid back as it can be for a TV network). I felt like my ideas and suggestions were often taken seriously and in some cases implemented. As a temp first I was hired to the staff eventually and I feel that hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Unless you're an executive, you work holidays. The work can get boring and repetitive, especially with no growth or change in positions. The company is large enough that positions rarely change responsibilities. I interviewed over eight times for different or more challenging positions I felt I was more than competent for and never felt like I was going to be seriously considered. I eventually left the company as a result after seven years. Having worked at both the 1515 and NOC/Hauppauge locations, I can speak from experience that there is a definitive separation of culture between them. Many, many events and benefits held at 1515 or announced as "company wide" only include 1515. The yearly holiday party takes place in Manhattan so Hauppauge employees have to go to the city if they want to attend as well. Any announced training which is free to employees (Adobe Photoshop, Maya, Excel, etc) takes place at 1515 as well.

Advice to Management

Try harder to recognize when you have staff that is motivated to move beyond their current positions. Try to invigorate employees to do better and strive for better, because stagnation isn't fun for anybody and doesn't help the company in the long term.

3. Director of Operations

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic people/talent. Groundbreaking series & genres. Great work-life balance & benefits. Huge on Diversity Initiatives. Live productions are highly successful with excellent production values, graphics, marketing, advertising & promotions.

Cons

Salaries are notoriously the lowest amongst the major Entertainment Conglomerates. Over past 10 years witnessed a major talent-flight to higher paying jobs at NBCUNI & Discovery. Programming has also become a bit stagnant.

Advice to Management

I had more freedom & authority to make decisions 12 years ago that at the end of my time with MTVN. Senior Management doesn't allow or groom Director/VP levels for further advancement. This creates frustration & resentment in Middle Management; and ultimately leads them to leave for positions at competitors, gaining salary bumps in excess of 50K. Biggest problem is not recognizing the in-house talent and promoting from within. They also have a not-so-secret policy of laying-off tenured employees just before they reach 40 years old. This protects them from being sued for age-discrimination in the State of NY. Watch out all 39 year olds with high salaries. December & February are the usual bloodshed months.

5. Great Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Junior team members get exposed to a lot. Great place to learn the Media business. Other media companies respect VMN experience.

Cons

Lack of focus. Constant change of upper management, creates an uneasy environment. One of the few media companies that encourages and has diversity (except in upper management).

Advice to Management

Don't make your executives contract employees. Make them at will employees like the rest of us. Create a mission statement for the company. Not great for older people.

6. not a good place to work

Pros

they were flexible about time off

Cons

no growth, poor management, did not help facilitate any kind of career changes to other departments

7. Cushy job

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits , short work hours

Cons

Too political to get anything done or make changes, mediocre work

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at MTV Networks full-time

Pros

MTV networks is a great place to work, with lots of perks from access to events and celebrities to free food, drinks at impromptu meetings and showcase sin the office to beer and burger bash once a year in the company parking lot. It's a fun place with great senior staff who are willing to talk and collaborate and hear ideas. The company atmosphere is lighthearted and laid back. Love it!

Cons

The cons are low pay. Because this is the world of entertainment and also because of all the perks, access and fun listed above, the pay is typically lower than say the same position within a different industry. However there are yearly raises and bonuses which tend to make up for the lack in salary.

Advice to Management

My main advise would be to continue to see the potential in lower level staff and allow for them to feel hear and appreciated. Also I'd say to allow for more room for growth within the departments and company as a whole.

9. Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promote from within, creative work environment, in the heart of media, very cutting edge. Expect to work long days.

Cons

Can be very competitive, very youth oriented and people in their 40's can start to feel irrelevant. A lot of mergers and acquisitions which caused many rounds of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Great management.

10. Awesome Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Viacom provides interns with hands on experience. During my time there I was able to learn and grow within the Communications department. They also provide interns with multiple forums in which one can learn about the different areas within each network.

Cons

Long hours! A typical work day is 9-6 depending what time you get in. The more hours you put in, the more experience you'll get.

11. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse, great culture. Fun place to work.

Cons

Very competitive, hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Fight for the employees who really work.

RSS Feed </> Embed