MTV Networks Reviews

3.6

MTV Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Pros
  • The company truly has a great work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• the dress code is super laid back so most people wear jeans or leggings every day (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be tough, but that's why they tend to hire so young (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch with everyone below them (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Lots of hungry energetic employees out there trying to turn out the best possible product. There's a clear desire to be on the cutting edge.

Cons

Slow process time, great ideas become passe by the time the company has gone through enough red tape to create the product.

Great reference but projects were uninspiring

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Excellent reference and great networking opportunities. Great exposure to industry trends, technologies and products. Fun and laid back work environment.

Cons

Projects and tasks were very low responsibility compared to other internships I have completed. They do not compensate for travel, which made interning difficult.

very frustrating, highly uncreative, oppressively corporate

Former Employee - Designer/Animator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer/Animator in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

MTV used to look good on your resume, but i think it's losing it's novelty in the industry

Cons

Very incompetent upper management. Art Director I worked for was a tyrant - a totally uninspiring leader and terrible communicator!

Listen to the creative people you have working for you, you're lucky to have them

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a fun time in a creative place.

Current Employee - Programming Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programming Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

There is no dress code. The people you work with. Getting to see and work for celebrities. Seeing your work on the air everyday.

Cons

The compensation is a little low compared to other companies. Advancement depends more largely upon time spent with the company, than with work ethic.

The upper tier management seems great, although I have had little interaction with them. The more middle management types, however, sometimes seem out of place.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

People are really nice and they respect each other
    Young crowd
    Good name
    Good location (times square)
    You learn a lot
    Flexible work hours

Cons

No compensation for interns. They should at least give free breakfast or lunch or travel compensation to their interns

a fun, young environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Fast paced environment that seamlessly blends corporate drives with creativity.

Cons

Very fast paced, can be chaotic at times. Also, mostly free lance positions.

None, everyone was very approachable and a great communicator.

Great Work/Life Balance - sacrifice pay

Current Employee - Coordinator, Programming  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Programming in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Amazing atmosphere. You work with friends, no dress code, and MTV overall has a lot to offer as far as perks go. Great hours, Great content, Great colleagues. The Lodge cafeteria at 1515 is also a major pro. Flexible schedules.

Cons

Salary. It's the downfall of the company. Employees are not rewarded for loyalty or hardwork. There is a lot of HR rhetoric that gets thrown around when one tries to stand up for themselves or ask for raises. I have seen a lot of good people get laid off, pushed out and denied requests for political reasons but, Viacom is a major corporation and with that comes a lot of office politics. The atmospher has shifted to a much more corporate environment over the last few years, which has affected company-wide morale.

Never use other employees to state your case why I shouldn't get what I ask for... it's the worst when you feel you are in a socialistic environment and hard work doesn't pay off.. literally.

Great place to work in most respects

Former Employee - Director  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Co-workers - a great group of creative people most of the time
    Pay - better than the average
    Benefits - way better than the average
    Perks like great parties, musical events and shows

Cons

Egos can be huge thus annoying. Any creative group in entertainment has a tendancy toward tons of drama. Lots of nepotism.

It really isn't rocket science. Get over yourself , do the right thing for the company and stop thinking of only your career.

Great place to learn the industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

MTVN is filled with creative and talented people. It is a great place to learn and grow given the opportunity.

Cons

Managing a large team can be hard but giving some more insight to the bigger picture of the company is lacking. This could help in the day to day operations.

Great place to learn but the hours are very intense. Employees can get burned out.

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

good hours, nice people, summer fridays. IT has been a really great experience and I have learned a lot from everyone here

Cons

there arent really any downsides. The experience has been great and I really recommend working here if you are looking.

I do not have any advice for management. overall great support system and great people to work with here definitely.

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!