MTV Networks Reviews

343 reviews filtered by

1. producer

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment + wonderful creative coworkers

Cons

hard to move up. very challenging to become full time

2. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Cool working environment. Lots of young people, and all the floors have different designs. I interned with the production management department, so there were lots of cool shoots to go on-- movie premieres, American Idol events, etc.

Cons

There are so many interns, that employees don't really know what to do with them. Most days I just sat at my desk and was bored. MTV tries to create a feeling like they were going to help outstanding interns get a job, but that is just not true. Most employees in production management stay there forever, and an openings go to friends or family.

Advice to Management

Your internship program is too big. Make it more exclusive so the interns actually get a great experience rather than being the errand boy for everyone, including the PAs... who should be the errand boys.

3. I worked under the VP of Business Development in everyday transactions

Former Intern - Global Business Development in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Global Business Development in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern

Pros

Great people; great culture. You're constantly working with very vibrant go-getter people. This pushes you to really work hard and excel.

Cons

Parking is impossible for visitors or etc. Security is insane. I've gotten locked out of my building so many times during the internship, it wasn't even funny.

Advice to Management

Better integrate interns together

5. Pretty boring unless you're a full time employee

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Casual Dress
    Laid Back Environment
    A lot of job opportunities

Cons

No perks, promotions.
    Employees in my department didn't speak to the interns
    not enough legitimate work for interns.

Advice to Management

Don't take interns if you don't need them.

6. Nice benefits but disorganized and low-paying.

Current Employee - Line Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Line Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back environment; good benefits

Cons

Enormous workload; no raises; poorly-managed

7. Fun & Hip Company to work for!

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Youthful, progressive vibe in the offices. Good perks, benefits and work-life balance in place

Cons

Outsourcing led to demise of jobs for a lot of good, hardworking people who were loyal to the company

8. PRODUCTION

Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prod Management in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

Very personable co-workers. Every one is very friendly making the work environment welcoming. Promotions often come from within the company opposed to hiring from an outside source making it easy to move up in the ranks.

Cons

Some lack he competence to do complete projects without supervision. Job can get repetitive at times in office and traveling is a must. This can b nice at times but having to fly to LA once a month can get boring.

Advice to Management

Make sure to hire on a trial period before long term commitment.

9. Left disappointed

Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trademark Department in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Lots of fun stuff to do while you're supposed to be working. No one really pays attention to your work. You don't even have to be good at what you do.

Cons

Your colleagues will have the same "pros" which means they get away with not working and the one person that does work has to do all of it.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who works and who doesn't. There ready people in this company just getting by and lying about there qualifications. Once you leave MTV is when you know what real work is.

10. Time served in the HR department :(

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, perks, work/ life balance, competitive benefits (paid leave), reasonable time off- vacation depending on level, 12 major holidays, plus sick/personal days, plus addition time off (moving and marriage days)
    tuition reimbursement, program ,events, friendly staff and in house cafeteria. Employees had a strong brand loyalty! Looks great on the resume, great brand recognition across the board.

Cons

Lifers on the HR team. Promotions are highly possible for those who are favored only. Favoritism was displayed constantly, very political and catty at times. The SVP's (at the time we had at least 3) of HR only cared about their client group and immediate team members only.
    The team overall had a hand full of lazy, rude, disrespectful, negative and ill motivated workers that were permitted not to work. A bit of an oxymoron for an HR team I would say.

I was verbally abused/ disrespected for roughly 2 years, I was in tears constantly and felt like crap at work. The HR leaders knew my boss was NASTY and nothing was done about it, in fact she was repeatedly promoted.

I applied for multiple HR roles and never was I seriously considered for any of the roles- they always hired externally instead-no internally mobility. At the time they rather train a new hire verses giving a current employee an opportunity. The last straw, the recruiter even had the never to encourage me to interview for a role and all along she was also interested and under consideration for the same role...she ended up getting the job...go figure.

The last few years were no better, members of my team didn't work, went to the gym during work hours and barely came to work but all was ok because as the slave I was doing all the work. I was left to feel undervalued, abused and taken advantage of. Not sure why I stayed as long as I did but I'm glad I did finally leave.

HR salaries were not competitive for some but those that were favored were highly compensated-go favoritism!

Advice to Management

Many organizations don't care about the negative rating when many candidates are waiting on line to work for their company.

11. MTV

I have been working at MTV Networks

Pros

Positive and creative work atmosphere. Co-workers were great and human resources was super helpful.

Cons

Few staff positions, mostly freelance.

Advice to Management

HIre as Staff.