MTV Networks Reviews

343 reviews filtered by

1. Lookout for the Layoff Cycle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MTV Networks and Viacom offer greta benefits, a generally laid back culture and work environment. Projects revolving around entertainment in the building and outside keep interest high and it's great resume eye candy.

Cons

Fear of layoffs and/or cutbacks and lack of legitimate advancement opportunities hinder many looking for long term career goals. Lack of transparency among management stokes a ridiculous rumor mill that cultivates the cyclical culture of fear. So much work gets done by recent college grads landing in Manhattan that the workday seems to be on a noon to 9p cycle. While some would laud the lack of a 9-5 culture, it often hinders commuters and those seeking family life.

2. Intern

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great experience working with the team

Cons

none-I enjoyed the experience very much

Advice to Management

keep up good work

3. Great place to go from entry level to manager position

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In many ways, depending on the department, there are so many un-answered questions for how cable will survive the digital era, you can feel like you're working in a startup environment even though you're in a corporation of 10,000 people

Cons

A common complaint among the under 30 set is the feeling that you are stuck in a role unless you leave for a higher position at another company and come back after a few years.

Advice to Management

Provide more training opportunities for managers and young employees who have leadership potential to become directors and VPS

5. Watch interns reinvent the wheel for free.

I worked at MTV Networks

Pros

There is a lot of creative freedom.

Cons

They rely heavily on interns and unqualified people to get a lot of the work done and keep costs low. Executives are paid well, but they spend most of their time on Game of Thrones style politics rather than running a tight ship. With all the free labor it doesn't really matter if there is constant havoc.

Advice to Management

Try to hire people with qualifications, and try to retain the ones who show promise. Relying on the cheapest possible labor wastes time and talent, and means outside vendors have to fill the breach.

6. Great Internship!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot from this internship and it helped to jumpstart my career in television.

Cons

When I was interning they were not paying their interns but I only had to work two days a week.

7. Incredible Work Environment

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at MTV Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Work load is well managed
    Atmosphere is creative but refined

Cons

Advancement structure is on default mode

8. Once agree at place to work, but gone down hill, all the great exec's to have left.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a very big organization, their main NYC building has nice amenities for employees, the work culture is pretty laid back, dress code is relaxed. There are some nice folks working their.

Cons

In the time I was there (almost 10 years) I saw them eliminate so many benefits. They cater to their "Top 25" executives, decisions making factors in how it impacts them most and not those further down the food chain. As a result, they have eliminated pensions, service recognition bonus (which employees received every year after 5 years of service) butchered the insurance plans, (premiums and deductible are much higher for less coverage). And, they're a bit shady in how they relay this information to employees (great news, we're fazing out the pension plan!!!).

Advice to Management

To TOP management: You have thousands of people working for you, stop catering just to the "top 25" and care about everyone equally regardless of their rank.

9. fun and exciting, but didnt last

Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, fun projects, great hours and pay, managers were awesome

Cons

not daring enough, eventually we were absorbed and stifled

Advice to Management

take risks, move faster, try things and move on

10. Great people and talent made MTV a fantastic place to work.

Former Employee - Director of Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in New York, NY

I worked at MTV Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top notch benefits, amazing company culture, diverse work environment and many opportunities to grow from one department to another. A strong focus on the people and talent pool.

Cons

There are also many cons to working in such a "glamorous environment". There is little to no work-life balance. You are expected to do what it takes to deliver and nothing else in your life matters, such as: kids, marriage, your own personal health. It all comes at a huge personal sacrifice when you are working 90 hours / week and commuting in and out of Manhattan on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

At some point, I would say approximately 10 years ago, things migrated from being a "First Choice Place to Work" to simply a money factory. Since then, there has been a massive talent flight to other higher paying media companies like something I've never witnessed before. My advice would be to take a good hard look at why those people left and realize that eventually your bottom line will suffer greatly when you are only left with amateur talent to run divisions and head up the creative departments.

11. Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at MTV Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MTV is a great place to work. Some perks include a casual dress code, an excellent benefits package, fun work environment, and generous paid time off.

Cons

Located in Times Square New York; Cafeteria food is not very good; company has a tendency to low-ball employee compensation.

Advice to Management

All employees should receive the minimum base salary based on the market average for that title.