MVM Reviews

Updated February 9, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
2.5
Dario O. Marquez Jr.

Good pay, but unreliable and unstable work opportunities.

I have been working at MVM (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great, depending on what division you work for. The work is high stress but very rewarding and something different.

Cons

High stress job at times, very little to no opportunity to grow in the company. You need to be available whenever the company needs you, if not you will not be given any work, or won't be considered for future jobs. Communication isn't the best, calls, texts or emails are never returned in a timely manner. Many positions are part-time, but if you are not available for full-time the likelihood of getting assigned to a project is slim to non-existent.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with employees. This is a very unpredictable field to work in and not hearing back from management when you are trying to reach someone is very frustrating.

Run the other way!!!

I have been working at MVM

Pros

I echo the previous statements that there are little or no pros to working at MVM other than receiving a paycheck.

Cons

I have been working at MVM for 3 years as a linguist and I can tell you that MVM is not a good place to work for, primarily because of on-site management. They micromanage and intimidate employees. It honestly has the feel of schoolyard bullying. They also have a habit of singling out employees and subjecting them to unfair personal attacks and when they do, they revel in their own cruelty. Please note there is no higher authority that is willing to listen to your complaints at MVM or even acknowledge their existence. MVM corporate prefers to keep assuring everyone they are the best company on planet earth and they refuse to ask their employees their feelings or concerns about either upper management or their jobs.

Additionally, MVM seeks to give the impression that they only take the best people and are primarily concerned about the quality of the work they put out. Yet if someone raises concerns about the quality of work, rather than listen to the employee, they will punish the employee. I have seen this time and time again. Many people have quit in the last 3 years and I'm sure this number will continue to grow as everyone is miserable there and looking for other jobs. The very fact that the turnover is so high belies the notion that the quality of work or level of employee satisfaction there is superior.

Advice to Management

On-site management is hopeless. Corporate or senior management needs to do a complete shakeup of on-site management and new leadership would need to come with the understanding that they really need to fix the current problems. They need to treat their employees fairly and they need to make it obvious that the old hostilities are a thing of the past, which would most likely require getting rid of current management and replacing them with people who are not hateful, demeaning, or spiteful individuals.

MVM- WORST MANAGEMENT EVER

Former Employee - Contractor in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Ashburn, VA

I worked at MVM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working there other than receiving a paycheck.

Cons

MVM is the most HOSTILE, UNPROFESSIONAL, AND MEDIOCRE COMPANY I have ever worked for as a contractor. I worked there for over 4 years and it truly felt like a prison sentence. They have an extremely prison-like working environment where they persecute employees endlessly, create a culture of fear, and launch personal attacks on their employees regularly. There is a complete lack of professionalism and integrity, not to mention the fact that the work produced is mediocre at best. There is absolutely no chain of command in place which allows an employee to voice any type of dissatisfaction or criticism against MVM management. Anyone who has been brave enough to voice dissatisfaction has either been dismissed or their lives have been made pure hell. It's truly unfortunate that none of the higher-ups have any concern for the mission or the employees. They employ the same type of ruthless tactics to ignite fear and cause anxiety in their employees as you would expect from a place more like Guantanamo. There is also no or little room to advance, low employee morale, terrible hours, low or non-existent benefits, very below average training, no employee appreciation, and they definitely underpay their employees. Possibly the worst thing about MVM (other than the egregiously poor leadership) is the fact that their recruiters and managers shamelessly lead new employees to believe this is an "excellent company to work for with ample advancement opportunities and an efficient chain of command in place". This leads new employees to be completely clueless when they begin working, sort of like leading lambs to their unsuspecting slaughter. My advice is to stay away from this place by all means. All of the employees there that I have spoken with are dying to get out of there and actively looking for work elsewhere. MVM has had a revolving-door type of hiring situation for a long time and for very evident reasons. Unfortunately, it will take drastic measures for MVM leadership to change, if ever.

Advice to Management

MVM management is a total joke. Any self-respecting and reputable company in the 21st century should have an effective chain of command in place which allows employees to voice their dissatisfaction or concerns against their supervisors, especially without fear of repercussion.

You're better off anywhere else.

I have been working at MVM

Pros

Full time hours available, experience at the federal level for when applying to other jobs.

Cons

You may not speak, may not interact with co-workers or the client, may not think on your own. If it appears that you enjoy your job, they will do something to make you miserable. A culture of dislike towards upper management and the company. Project/shift managers continuously blame the company for all things, a mentality of "it's not me, it's them."

Advice to Management

Foster an environment where people could enjoy coming to work.

6. Great pay as unarmed officer/no room to advance

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MVM

Pros

Salary and benefits/ time in a half, sick days/ vacation

Cons

OT hrs were scarce, working outdoors during inclement weather

Advice to Management

Change up your management style

Do your homework! Think twice!

Current Employee - Linguist in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at MVM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to list for the company as a whole. The best thing that they have going for them are the many great minds that they continuously lose.

Cons

First off, if you do your research you will see that there are far more than enough poor reviews online to raise a serious red flag before you consider working for MVM. Moreover, many of the poor reviews were posted under the wrong name for the company ( i.e., M.V.M. Inc., MVM LLC, MVM-Inc etc.) and are therefore overlooked.

Just like many of you, I did my homework before accepting my position. I simply rationalized all of the poor reviews on the basis that there will always be disgruntled employees no matter how perfect a company is. I never would have imagined that the reality of the situation would turn out to be worse than what I read online. MVM truly lives up to its poor reputation.

Another important point: Please notice that most of the good reviews are from security positions. These reviews do not reflect the experiences shared by the linguists who work inside the buildings.

Allow me to simply list the many other cons:

Hostile work environment

Inadequate and unorganized training

Unprofessional, uneducated, and incompetent management

Lack of leadership

Lack of opportunity for advancement

Noncompetitive pay

Blatant favoritism

No communication structure

Complacency of upper management

In closing, I will use the company’s core values to more accurately describe itself.

Service-

We will exploit your talents as if they are a renewal and disposable resource in order to provide sub-par product to our clients. Our focus is not on the employee or the client, but rather our own profit.

Support-

Rather than supporting and motivating our employees; we intimidate, belittle, and lie to them. Moreover, we have no interest in supporting our employees with decent wages, adequate training, awards, recognition, or incentives.

Success-

We are successful in maintaining our ridiculously high turnover rate and revolving door philosophy. We are successful in driving highly educated and talented minds away and replacing them with high school intellect. Finally, we are successful in building incompetent managers rather than effective leaders.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

8. Very good

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at MVM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Professional and experienced in the field

Cons

It should continue to advertise

9. Interview

Former Employee - Head of Department in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head of Department in New York, NY

I worked at MVM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quite quick and easy to make it

Cons

Too long and boring recruitement proces

Advice to Management

Define business needs

A Life Style Company

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at MVM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very good rank and file people here (of what is left of them) who work hard. Sadly, a majority of these remaining souls are stuck in dead-end jobs and are quietly seeking to leave this sinking ship.

Cons

A privately held-life style company. I could only hope leadership had great vision and the CEO walked the walk. Many pockets of poor leadership and lack of vision from the top. The company has experienced excessive number of contract losses and high turnover of talented personnel. For years, others have been shown the door for no justifiable cause.

Some have commented on here that patience and good work will take you places. Maybe so, but I have not seen at MVM. Those newbies that recently joined MVM figure out quickly what a horrible career mistake they made by coming here. You can see it daily in their eyes and facial expressions; the look of panic, fear, and desperation. The grizzled veterans (us remaining) just hang our heads low and slowly shake them, praying to find our own escape value. Those rank and file still with MVM know what I am talking about.

Compensation and benefits are poor, no contribution to the 401k plan, and bonuses only go to Senior Management. Unless you are desperately unemployed and need income to pay your bills now, this is a place by far to stay away from.

Advice to Management

None: They will not listen or entertain your suggestions.

Patience and good work will take you places

Current Contractor - Analytic Linguist
    Current Contractor - Analytic Linguist

I have been working at MVM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Ask for help and you will find it. Do your work and you will grow. Help others and your company will grow. Be a team player at all times and you will find what you are looking for. MVM is an ethical and responsible company, they take care of the employees and understand reward system. Great work environment if you follow the advice above.

Cons

Hours. Be prepared to put extra effort and understand the different shifts available because it is not easy to change from one to the other one. Other than that, you are in for a fantastic professional experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! A great pleasure to work for you.