MWH Global Reviews

Reset
3.3
MWH Global Chairman & CEO Alan J. Krause
Alan J. Krause

Pros
  • If pursuing a technical career, great place to start (in 5 reviews)

• For a consulting company, the Work/Life Balance is great (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High productivity, long hours, and varying client schedules lead to a stressful work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Women are paid less across the board for the same job level (in 3 reviews)

1. My MWH experience

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at MWH Global (Less than a year)

Pros

MWH has been my first engineering internship and my first exposure to engineering consulting. I could not have asked for a more welcoming team! Not only did they make me feel at home from day 1. The MWH Miami team has a remarkable standard of professionalism, cooperation, attention to detail and is an industry leader in every way. I respect and admire every member of the team, each with great strengths and knowledge in engineering and each heart kinder than the other. As an intern, I was exposed to a variety of tasks and got a taste of the type of work in the consulting industry. I learned more than I would have within the same time in school. Everybody has been very helpful and eager to answer all questions. This has also helped me to integrate in the company quicker. Overall my experience has been fantastic. I am very grateful for having received this opportunity and hope to be back.

Cons

Overall I saw no major flaws in this company. It is normal that the pace is fast in this industry and people must work hard. Only top quality work is acceptable here and I appreciate that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up; you are doing an amazing job keeping the team together and delivering a great result. I learned to love MWH and appreciate every moment I spent there.

2. Ruthless work culture

Pros

Nice people in the organization A lot of Interesting projects to work on I can't think of anything else to write

Cons

Upper Management has no clue as to who the hard workers are because they're never around. A lot of corrupt people. No sense of job security. Too focused on billable hours.

3. Good Entry Level job but department needs some help....

Current Employee - Project Account II
    Current Employee - Project Account II

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, team building events, good training, and good experience for entry level.

Cons

Upper management tends to pick favorites and this department seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

Advice to Management

I think you need to restructure the management and be more transparent to your employees.

5. engineer

Pros

decent benefits and salary level

Cons

poor management, no flexibility and no performance bonus

6. Hostile, abusive, discriminatory, leaderless, unhealthy work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

you get a paycheck for putting up with the above (also see below).

Cons

Unless you are in management, there is no good news. You are a beneath the management gods, will be trampled on, treated like you are invisible and worthless, exposed to q myriad of safety hazards most of them forced on you by management, then ignored because you are invisible and worthless in their eyes. This is a totally dysfunctional company where HR has a 50+% turnover rate, on site management is traveling, and the wannabe power mongers bully and torment the staff daily while getting blessed from above. If you are a sadist, you will love this work environment, management will reinforce how little you matter, and make sure you will have nasty drama and favoritism every day.

Advice to Management

Alan, you need to fire the managers in the Denver Office What they do is not management. They could be part of a dictatorship regime, because that is the working environment and culture they have created in the Denver Office. My ratings below are zero or the greatest negative number there is

7. Overall good company

I worked at MWH Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting projects around the world. Very capable and intelligent staff. Local management seems to really care about the employees. Great amount of knowledge sharing.

Cons

Due to the large size of the company, you often feel like a number rather than a valued employee. Employees are often overworked and under compensated for their efforts.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind the time and effort all of your employees contribute to keep our clients happy. Remember the smaller offices and make an effort to address their concerns.

Weak Strategy Supported by Strong Front-line Managers

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MWH Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Congenial in offices outside of Denver. Average pay and benefits. Liked it there, met some great people.

Cons

Privately owned gives majority stock and decisions to senior management who look good on paper, but in-fight for political dominance. The failures stay there while they rearrange a constant stream of strategies to pull out of the hole these people dug - big hire cycles, then lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Management by walking around. Talk to the bright people that are informed and have built a strong rack record for success.

9. Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

High pay, good location, nice cubicles.

Cons

Lack of interesting or engaging work.

Stuck in the 1920s Before the Hawthrone Studies

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits, Colorado is beautiful, Go Broncos!

Cons

Corporate culture at its worst; no room for creativity, encouragement, growth, or flexibility. Key example, associates are not allowed to work from home, even during snow blizzards. The reasoning, they want associates to be in the office to learn from other, more experienced workers. Sure, but it doesn't quite make sense when all of the experienced workers choose to work from home because of the dangerous road conditions and associates are there only ones at the office. Managers literally cannot think this one through (but they probably aren't allowed to). At its core, MHW is for people who need rules, like structure, and need to be told what to do. Think of this place as the anti-Google.

Advice to Management

There is a retention problem at MHW, especially among millennials. Maybe this is just indicative of a multinational B2B engineering firm, but something will eventually have to give.

11. Review

Pros

Interesting projects to work on

Cons

Concerned with billable hours, restructures every 5 years

Advice to Management

listen to the working level employees

RSS Feed </> Embed