MWH Global Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

MWH Global President & CEO Alan J. Krause
Alan J. Krause

Pros
  • Many smart, talented and dedicated people with good working environment (in 11 reviews)

• If pursuing a technical career, great place to start (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow progress with lots of bureaucracy, lack of leadership to make deadlines and stick to them (in 4 reviews)

• High productivity, long hours, and varying client schedules lead to a stressful work environment (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome experience!

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

The company paid very well, and management really encourages team work and individual growth. They were always trying to improve processes to make our jobs easier.

Cons

Not a great deal of opportunities for promotions. The companies values seemed to take priority over keeping great employees. Employee's cost of benefits was high.

Work-life balance was great, but our cost of benefits was very high. Company values seemed to take priority over keeping great employees.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere. Great people. Great working opportunities.

Cons

They could stick to their company values better.

Great Place to Start...

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on your supervisor and the office management, there are plenty of opportunities to learn and build your career as an entry to early-mid level engineer. Most of management is supportive until you get higher in the totem pole (i.e. corporate level execs). Great place to start though, as many employees have been offered better opportunities elsewhere based on the technical skills and communication styles learned from notable industry experts and managers.

Cons

Pay could be better (typically pay in the 50% level among its competitors). Work-life balance is okay, until you're required to "donate" more time for marketing and non-billable work as you move up. Disconnect between the higher level managers and entry-level; one needs to make a lot of effort to reach out to them.

Learn to retain hard-working and talented employees, these people are valuable to the company and should compensated fairly. Listen to what the employees on all levels.

Women are second rate

I worked at MWH Global full-time

Pros

Good technical experience. Lots of interesting and varied projects. Global company with resources worldwide. Friendly administrators. Hard to think of more.

Cons

Women are paid less across the board for the same job level. It is likely they are promoted at a slower rate, meaning yeah discrepancy is larger than it appears.

Talking about diversity is not the same as taking action.

Focus on Water

Former Employee - Project Engineer (Civil Engineer) in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Project Engineer (Civil Engineer) in Broomfield, CO

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I experienced a diverse set of projects and locations and found that each had strong project teams. Compensation was very strong during my five year tenure with the company. Growth opportunities were available.

Cons

Often, it appeared that prime contracts were entered into without comprehensive negotiation or understanding of responsibilities. A pattern of catch-up seemed to be prevalent on every job.

Perform adequate contract review, negotiation, risk assessment, and technical review prior to jumping in head first into large municipal projects.

Some challenges, but a solid company

Former Employee - Associate Environmental Engineer - Level II in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Environmental Engineer - Level II in Pasadena, CA

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunities, many good people. There is a great deal to learn from a company of this size and experience. If you can get with the right group and are taken under their wing, it is an outstanding firm.

Cons

Some of the people were a bit challenging, but I suppose that is the case in any company. There were times I felt like I was somewhat abandoned, but it falls to me to speak up about that.

Always treat your employees with respect, no matter what their level.

Tax Intern for Summer

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome International Tax Team. I learned a ton of information in a very short amount of time. All the employees are very friendly and helpful. I have gained very valuable experience that could be taken into public or industry tax accounting.

Cons

No cons for me. The only thing would be if you are looking to work with lots of people everyday this might not be the place for you. The work is very specific, and you might not have as many opportunities to branch out as you would in a large CPA firm.

Great people and lot of industry recognised talent

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of senior telant and people who have a passion for the work they do.
    Opportunities are available for one who seeks them.

Cons

Management is very direct/ billable time driven. Expectation to have high direct time and being billable regardless of position comes in the way of being able to train tallent and be a good manager. People who are good managers end up working long hours with no overtime or any additional benifit.
    Salary and raise is in general not spectacular with very few exceptions.
    Lot of emphasis on paperwork and checking boxes which can be frustrating.

Listen to what the employees want and try to learn what the employees do.
    Be more transperant with the employees.
    Encourage and enable managers to have one on one's with their employees.
    Focus on employee retention, facilitating employee growth in the company, and enable training.
    Think about how to better compensate hard working employees who are not company stock holders.

Internship program needs some work

Current Employee - Civil/Envronmental Engineering in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Civil/Envronmental Engineering in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at MWH Global as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern you're never going to have nothing to do. The office director made sure to take care of his interns, taking us out for lunch here and there. Always checked in on us to make sure we were content.

Cons

There isn't a formal internship program really, you're there to gain a perspective of the company but there is no work that's carved out for interns that is not complete grunt work. You're there to be a stop gap solution for work no one wants to do.

Great company with a great purpose, missions, and values. Really bright employees and a lot of career opportunities.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is in a good industry, has a good reputation, has good leadership, and dedicated employees. There are very good career opportunities.

Cons

For any con, I know there is a solution being worked on and sometimes it will take some patience. There are pockets of issues, and there are a few managers that are a little harder to work for but overall no complaints. You can't be shy about asking for opportunities. It is important to find a good mentor/sponsor.

Hold everyone accountable and manage poor performance.

MWH Global Photos

At MWH we better the lives of those we touch and improve communities around the world through personal and professional contributions.
Annual Conference