MWH Global Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

MWH Global President & CEO Alan J. Krause
Alan J. Krause

Pros
  • Good working environment and great work culture (in 10 reviews)

• For a consulting company, the Work/Life Balance is great (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow progress with lots of bureaucracy, lack of leadership to make deadlines and stick to them (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management "good old boys club" with no accountability (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Focus on Water

Former Employee - Project Engineer (Civil Engineer)  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Project Engineer (Civil Engineer) in Broomfield, CO

I worked at MWH Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I experienced a diverse set of projects and locations and found that each had strong project teams. Compensation was very strong during my five year tenure with the company. Growth opportunities were available.

Cons

Often, it appeared that prime contracts were entered into without comprehensive negotiation or understanding of responsibilities. A pattern of catch-up seemed to be prevalent on every job.

Perform adequate contract review, negotiation, risk assessment, and technical review prior to jumping in head first into large municipal projects.

Some challenges, but a solid company

Former Employee - Associate Environmental Engineer - Level II  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Environmental Engineer - Level II in Pasadena, CA

I worked at MWH Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunities, many good people. There is a great deal to learn from a company of this size and experience. If you can get with the right group and are taken under their wing, it is an outstanding firm.

Cons

Some of the people were a bit challenging, but I suppose that is the case in any company. There were times I felt like I was somewhat abandoned, but it falls to me to speak up about that.

Always treat your employees with respect, no matter what their level.

Tax Intern for Summer

Current Employee - Tax Intern  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome International Tax Team. I learned a ton of information in a very short amount of time. All the employees are very friendly and helpful. I have gained very valuable experience that could be taken into public or industry tax accounting.

Cons

No cons for me. The only thing would be if you are looking to work with lots of people everyday this might not be the place for you. The work is very specific, and you might not have as many opportunities to branch out as you would in a large CPA firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with a great purpose, missions, and values. Really bright employees and a lot of career opportunities.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company is in a good industry, has a good reputation, has good leadership, and dedicated employees. There are very good career opportunities.

Cons

For any con, I know there is a solution being worked on and sometimes it will take some patience. There are pockets of issues, and there are a few managers that are a little harder to work for but overall no complaints. You can't be shy about asking for opportunities. It is important to find a good mentor/sponsor.

Hold everyone accountable and manage poor performance.

Internship program needs some work

Current Employee - Civil/Envronmental Engineering  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Civil/Envronmental Engineering in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at MWH Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern you're never going to have nothing to do. The office director made sure to take care of his interns, taking us out for lunch here and there. Always checked in on us to make sure we were content.

Cons

There isn't a formal internship program really, you're there to gain a perspective of the company but there is no work that's carved out for interns that is not complete grunt work. You're there to be a stop gap solution for work no one wants to do.

Great people and lot of industry recognised talent

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at MWH Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a lot of senior telant and people who have a passion for the work they do.
    Opportunities are available for one who seeks them.

Cons

Management is very direct/ billable time driven. Expectation to have high direct time and being billable regardless of position comes in the way of being able to train tallent and be a good manager. People who are good managers end up working long hours with no overtime or any additional benifit.
    Salary and raise is in general not spectacular with very few exceptions.
    Lot of emphasis on paperwork and checking boxes which can be frustrating.

Listen to what the employees want and try to learn what the employees do.
    Be more transperant with the employees.
    Encourage and enable managers to have one on one's with their employees.
    Focus on employee retention, facilitating employee growth in the company, and enable training.
    Think about how to better compensate hard working employees who are not company stock holders.

Good Company to work for Intern

I have been working at MWH Global

Pros

Good place to work as intern.

Cons

Could be a little more organized.

A great summer with a great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at MWH Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Compensation was more than I expected as an intern, and I was able to learn a lot while working on interesting and challenging projects. My team was very patient with answering many questions and teaching me. There were opportunities to meet with senior management and ask for advice.

Cons

The program was new and seemed disorganized at times. It felt odd having downtime at work simply because no one had any projects for me to work on.

It would have been nice to receive more feedback and constructive criticism on the quality of work your interns complete.

Great knowledge pool!

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at MWH Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Deep bench of very knowledgeable and highly experienced senior staff. I was able to learn a lot by working directly with recognized industry experts.

Cons

To much emphasis on doing billable work to maintain good "direct time." Compensation is based on national averages both internal and external to the company, and with so many different business lines in so many geographic regions, it was difficult to get a competative salary in the Bay Area.

Lots of Projects but not Very Organized

Former Employee - Civil Engineer Inern  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer Inern in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at MWH Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interning gave me a lot of exposure to the water infrastructure industry. I did many small tasks on a lot of large projects. MWH is a very well known firm so it definitely looks good on your resume, regardless of whether or not you actually did a whole lot

Cons

There wasn't a whole lot of structure. I basically went around the office asking who needed help on tasks and at times, there wasn't enough to do. Oh you need work? Um, here organize these files from a project that was completed a couple years ago. Oh you finished with that? Print these drawings. I suppose these tasks need to be done eventually, so who better than the intern?

Having an intern work a lot on a single project might be more meaningful than giving them a lot of small but mindless tasks.

Worked for MWH Global? Contribute to the Community!