MWH Global

Updated January 30, 2015
3.5

MWH Global President & CEO Alan J. Krause
Alan J. Krause

Pros
  • Many smart, talented and dedicated people with good working environment (in 11 reviews)

• If pursuing a technical career, great place to start (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow progress with lots of bureaucracy, lack of leadership to make deadlines and stick to them (in 4 reviews)

• High productivity, long hours, and varying client schedules lead to a stressful work environment (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

I have been working at MWH Global

Pros

MWH Constructors:
    Good environment to grow specially if you come in as an entry level field engineer

Cons

Management needs some improvement. There need to be more communication between the different departments.

Family-like environment with opportunity for advancement

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

They encourage self improvement and provide free trainings as well as contribute financial help towards tuition if you decide to further your education. Offer opportunity to learn multiple aspects of the job.

Cons

I worked in the constructors division and you were asked to relocate and travel frequently.

started off a good place to be but since they got a Shared Service Center Pune India.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

loved working with people around the world

Cons

terrible morale in the office. never knew when your job is going to end. New management brought in their friends to do the work of people that were there for many years

. Keep the good people!

Supervising Electrical Engineer

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

Lots of interesting projects and jobs.

Cons

Bureaucracy and too many cooks in the kitchen.

Good Company when I was there. A lot of staff reduction since 2010.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, benefits. Good people at the Broomfield headquarters. My role did offer the opportunity to work from home when needed, such as during inclement weather.

Cons

A lack of a focused sales team and strategic focus on the Federal space. Economy quickly dragging down revenue - we didn't seem to have a plan for when the economy shifted other than to abandon ship.

The focus always seems to be to reduce costs instead of increasing revenue. Almost like a battle internally regarding costs instead of revenue. Listen to your staff.

Needs direction

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

Good people: some interesting projects

Cons

Leadership is weak. Change needed

Not amazing, but not that bad

Current Employee - Professional Environmental Engineer
    Current Employee - Professional Environmental Engineer

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with really great projects to pad your resume.

The people are for the most part good to work with.

There is opportunity to move sound the country and the world.

Salaries are competitive with what other consultants can offer.

Cons

No sick days. No overtime pay.

Every body puts in more than 40 hours, but there is an unspoken rule that you should not put more than 40 hours in your time sheet, because it will make your job look less profitable, which impacts your overall performance.

Your Direct time (billable work) is the primary thing by which you are evaluated. If you don't meet your yearly target, the you may get into trouble...

From what I have observed, women are paid less than men, at least initially. But that may be because of a lack of willingness to negotiate when being hired. Remember, the starting offer is not the final offer, and most employers expect you to negotiate.

What happened to the wastewater treasures course? Would have liked to have taken it this year.

We need to do something about employee retention. I've lost count of how many times I need to get some help from one of my go to experts, only to find out they've left the company. Give them anything they want to convince them to stay...

Would be really good to have 3 sick days per year, so people don't come to work sick.

We should change mtools back to being a cost center rather than billing their costs directly to projects. Before, they were really helpful, but now that their costs directly impact the job financial performance, PMs are reluctant to use them, and would rather you do unpaid overtime. The result is that I now work longer, but I am less productive. For example, instead of using auto forms to record field data electronically, I reverted back to paper and pen, and then copy the data to the computer when I'm back in the office. This takes longer and is less efficient, but because the I'm not paid over time, that "cost" doesn't show up on the balance sheet directly. However, the company and I are paying an opportunity cost for the wasted time that could have been used doing something else.

Mid Level Engineer

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very interesting projects and talented people.

Cons

Too much outsourcing to India, lousy retirement benefits

Improve IT infrastructure

Not recommended

I worked at MWH Global

Pros

Interesting projects. Paying attentions to employee needs (but with discrimination)

Cons

Women are paid a lot less. Sexual and racial discrimination

MWH Global Response

Nov 14, 2014Social Media Strategist

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your experience working at MWH. Workforce diversity is an initiative we take very seriously. We would like to learn more about your experience so that ... More

International Engineering Company

Former Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at MWH Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

International company with alot of project variety and scope. Can be on a interesting projects that involve travel, etc.

Cons

Marketing strategies not cohesive or managed consistently.
    Projects are easily over budget due to low pricing. Internal competition for projects to keep busy leaves others out in the cold looking for work!

Need better consistency, in projects, marketing and values.
    Too much overhead, too much focus on tracking costs vs. getting the work done.
    Inconsistent message to employees.

MWH Global Photos

At MWH we better the lives of those we touch and improve communities around the world through personal and professional contributions.
Annual Conference