MWI Veterinary Supply Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
22 reviews filtered by
2.7
MWI Veterinary Supply President, CEO, and Director Jim Cleary Jr.
Jim Cleary Jr.

1. Honest pay, long hours, but a great experience

Former Employee - Picker Packer in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Picker Packer in Shakopee, MN

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent and management is fairly lenient and understanding in a constant workflow environment, so long as you pull your weight. Expanding business and buying other companies as a merger. More work, more money. From time to time the company will show its appreciation with pizza or other desserts.

Cons

It depends on who you ask, but the hours are long. More money of course but with those who have families, it becomes harder to work 12hr shifts for months with no end. This is mostly due to the temps or new hires that cannot cut it and create more work on everyone by either showing no reason to want to work, or by not being able to keep up with demand and ultimately quitting thus, creating low moral within everyone. However, for those that do work hard and enjoy team ethic, the company does have a long, drawn out process that deters new hires on by not giving them the tools to properly and productively complete day to day routines. E.G. I worked many months for a temp before being hired on,(no problem) but after this, it took over two months to put together a forklift class so that I and many others could do their job sufficiently. Even with that said, I operated a forklift for the remainder of my time here without a certification. Even after multiple attempts to communicate a potential final exam for certification to leads, assistant managers, and even top dog operation manager, no true answer was given besides the assumption that I was already certified. Not a real problem for me since I know how to operate them, and they obviously didn't have time, but many other of my co-workers were troubled with this feat.

If you want quality and less errors, take the time out to show and fully provide your employees with the means of accomplishing these goals. Overworked with promises of finding better talent isn't going to bolster incentive.

2. All about management

Current Employee - CDL Driver in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at MWI Veterinary Supply

Pros

it's a job when all else fails. The employees for the most are decent and they have clean bathrooms. 401k match 3%, bonus for drivers

Cons

Management only cares about themselves, benefits are expensive, constantly being bought out and changing leadership. They could careless about customers or employees.

You get good people by paying them more and in return get more profit from customers.

3. MWI was an interesting experience for me.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply

Pros

It showed me the real meaning of demand

Cons

the hour are crazy to do/

5. Worst work experience

Former Employee - Packager in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Packager in Shakopee, MN

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are paid on time.

Cons

If you’re working as a packager there is a lot of repetitive packing, pulling, bending, lifting, pinching etc. The employees need adequate break times. Every couple of hours or so would be the norm anywhere else. Since the wording of the labor law in this state is “one break within every 4 hours” the evening breaks are every 3 hours and 45 minutes. This causes unnecessary tiredness and mistakes made, that are naturally blamed solely on the employees. A month away from this job should resolve the inevitable carpal tunnel syndrome resulting from a lack of rest periods.

The management is so profit oriented that they don’t provide office supplies like pens, and more importantly would not fill the first aid kit with band aides after repeated reminders.

The employees aren't given any hints about when they may be able to go home at night, and since their aren't adequate breaks or cell phones allowed on the floor, their families can just wonder what happened to them.

No work life balance, no consideration for employees as human beings, just dollars signs and profits.
    High turnover as new employees aren't given the correct information about their ending time of lack of breaks.

Come up with a good reason to work there. Start treating people like you care.

I can only speak for the Atlanta DC but it is one of the worst places I have ever worked. Baddddd management.

Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is really no perks bisides it is a paycheck.

Cons

There is no work life balance. It is all about making money for MWI and management.

Share more of yhe profits with the people that actually do the work.

Lacks leadership and accountability. There is no proactive planning, simply reacting to repetitive daily crisis.

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is financially sound and growth is ongoing in the industry. Positive growth within facility is possible once processes and accountability is addressed repeatedly and decisively.

Cons

No work/life balance. No accountability. High turnover. Bad habits of employees not corrected/addressed. Leads are ineffective and lazy. Hours are ridiculous and make it nearly impossible to recruit/hire/retain quality employees.
    Reactive management vs. proactive management causes the same challenges daily without fixing the root cause to the major problems.

8. ok

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

leader in animal health distribution - tied with Henry Schein

Cons

work life balance is off and inconsiderate

9. Overall good company, poorly managed region

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time

Pros

Great experience interacting with local and regional veterinary, with the ability to further knowledge of the field while building strong relationships.

Cons

Often felt like a number and not a person, especially for a company boasting about being a "family". The region in which I was located was under poor, unsupportive management but I do not feel this reflects the company as a whole.

10. Overall good company to work for, management needs restructuring

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation, benefits package is good, you have the ability to work on your own without being micromanaged as long as you are working and servicing customers.

Cons

Not much room for growth or promotion unless a territory is given to you. Management is difficult to communicate with at times and the company in general is sort of stuck in an old school mentality while trying to move forward. The industry is changing which could change how distributors fit in the marketplace.

11. High Turnover

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at MWI Veterinary Supply full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent Management, and decent hours, pay

Cons

High turnover, temps don't stay long or are dismissed because they aren't fast enough.