MWR

Updated January 6, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
3.2

CEO

Working for MWR has been a great experience as my first job.

Current Employee - Recreation Aide in Fort Gordon, GA
    Current Employee - Recreation Aide in Fort Gordon, GA

I have been working at MWR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for MWR is great because everyone is so committed to supporting the armed forces and nice. Most people are friendly. Very flexible depending on your position, worked around my schedule even with school, and it was fulfilling. There were many opportunities for meeting higher ups and networking.

Cons

My challenge is the lack of benefits. They weren't available for me. Although I didn't have things like built up time for time off, I could just put in a leave request form. There's no insurance plan or other benefits.

Management is great! All of the higher ups work hard and even help in lower positions when needed. They do their best with every task and promoting and supporting the military.

Bad Management

I have been working at MWR full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could think of some positives of this particular position but I can't. I would like to believe that my experience with MWR Management is/was isolated to just Ft Sill.

Cons

Generally in business building profits is largely what performance is based upon from a business manager. If you agree or disagree with the premise at least it's generally understood. Ft Sill MWR is run by gossip and a "gotcha" type atmosphere. I just can't imagine anyone actually liking it there.

Management is the problem right from the top. I understand how with some jobs it's healthy to rotate to different posts/bases to avoid individuals building too much political capital and garnering too much control. The entity becomes less about serving those who serve and becomes about reinforcing the power that has been built up.

If they continue to go down the road they are currently on they will need to outsource some of the services of MWR. A business cannot sustain making decisions that have no basis in building profitability.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MWR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Great programs for military families. Depending on who you work for it can be very pleasurable.

Cons

Very difficult to move up unless you know someone. Very difficult to get a raise, and when you do it seems pretty pointless cause it is only twenty cents. Work load gets heavy, they like to give you other people's jobs and keep you low in pay. Typical office drama gets old hearing people complain about the same stuff day after day. Difficult to fire people so people who wouldn't be working in any other job are nice and secure in theirs.

Fire those who deserve to be fired. How many chances can you give a person? Give some people a raise! They may just be willing to work a little bit harder if they were being paid what they deserve.

Very interesting atmosphere work environment, communication is not being heard or taught well.

Current Employee - Cook in Dugway, UT
    Current Employee - Cook in Dugway, UT

I have been working at MWR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy helping the customers needs.

Cons

Supervisor doesn't train their employee's very well in some areas. Lots of employee's are uptight in the work environment.

Need better leadership, training, understanding, communication, listening skills from the supervisor to better the employee's so everyone can be on the same page in work environment.

Pretty decent company if you can dodge the Two-Face'ness and worker rings...

Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Fort Irwin, CA
    Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Fort Irwin, CA

I have been working at MWR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible with schedules if you want to go to school or have two jobs, It's easy money if you get into Recreation, Dodged the Furlough in my position so that great also, Fun environment

Cons

Two-Face staff's, Feels like you constantly have to fight for hours, No benefits, No vacation or Sick leave, Too many worker rings and cliques, Poor communication from management, Absolutely no room for advancement....well unless you're a female, Constantly have to watch your pay because payroll makes ALOT of errors.

Improve the communication between Management and Subordinates. Improve the payroll system. Please take notice how the Directors only promote women and women only. Try to get everyone together as a team and make things fare so social rings don't get created as often.

Not a good company to work for.

I have been working at MWR

Pros

The military guys and girls are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. They hire people in management positions that are not qualified. It is definitely a good ole boys club. I definitely would not count on this company for a career but just a side job while you finish school.

If you work hard or don't work at all you are treated the same. You are not even told Thank You and definitely not compensated for going that extra mile. Hire people that are qualified and you would not have to close facilities and would actually make money. MWR has taught me that women have a long way to go to be equal.

Thankful to have a job and proud to serve the finest of people.

Current Employee - Pizza Driver in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Pizza Driver in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at MWR part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunitry of free Training for Employees.

Cons

Hourly wages should be higher, minimum is 9.20 outside of NC. If people want the service of Food delivered to their doorsteps then they should aknowledge this in form of tips. Could not make ends meet the last two month because sometimes people come from oversees where tips are included or the younger folks just don't know that this is our main income. I drive a company car but made last month only 40 Dollars driving 12 days, 3 hours each. Can not pay my bills. NC is called a at will state and employers can hire and fire as they please.

Summer Job

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Kingsville, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Kingsville, TX

I worked at MWR

Pros

Friendly staff. Flexible Hours. Tolerable Patrons. Above average pay, regular raises.

Cons

HOT! WEATHER. Its in Kingsville, Tx. Knit-Picky Management, not enough trust to let employees handle what we are trained for.

Let the lifeguards do their jobs. They are there everyday and keep a re pore with the patrons. They are capable of running the entire operation by themselves, the management is in place simply as an image; it's really not necessary for this establishment. I'm sure they run other things without a hitch, but that pool is out of their realm.

Good job for college students or retirees, but not exactly a career choice

Former Employee - Recreation Aid in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Recreation Aid in San Diego, CA

I worked at MWR

Pros

This job was at a fitness center on a Navy Base in San Diego. If you want a job that is very casual and light labor this is it. I was in college and there was a lot of down time on the job, so my manager permitted me to do homework and study while I worked. The community is good to work with if you have experience around the military. The MWR staffs are usually very small per facility, so the group tends to feel a lot like a family, where everyone takes care of each other. Time off, breaks, etc are very easy to negotiate; either you do it via paperwork or simply ask the manager and he or she will say, "sure, no problem!"

Cons

It's not a career. It's a part-time, in your spare time job that pays minimum, with no opportunity for raises unless the state raises the minimum or if you stay long enough to receive the annual pay raise of less than a dollar an hour. Overtime is not usually permitted because MWR facilities don't typically have the budget to pay employees that extra money (it is funded by the profits of the Navy Exchange). Since the staff environment is very casual, it can sometime cause lack of discipline where it's needed, and so employees take advantage by working less efficiently. Rules and standard operating procedures are not spelled out specifically enough for employees to know precisely what to do in specific situations.

The casual atmosphere may make employees more comfortable in their jobs, but since it leads to a lack of discipline, I would recommend that the leadership of MWR take a stand and require more responsible behavior from the employees.

Like NYC this base is not like any other base in the world

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at MWR

Pros

benefits for permanent employees full-time and part-time

Status as a federal employee

Cons

Constant restructuring that waste resources

High-turn over in talented employees

Personal agendas and motives taking president over professional goals

Lack of professionalism and confidentiality for personnel complaints and issues

Large number of over paid, low preforming management that is covered up with paper work

Abuse culture that is destructive to a positive work environment : gossip leading to personnel
    actions

But because human capital is constantly moving, most employees on the base who started at other bases agree that this location is a poor representation of what the army workforce has to offer. It has on several occasions been called not a real base, where federal civilian and active duty employees go to be forgotten, dye, and to completely throw caution to the wind and do what they please.

A major house cleaning needs to be done of all management. Having high numbers is not indicative of a successful program, the population that is reached is captive and limited to what they know which is army resources. More consideration needs to be taken in creating a professional atmosphere rather than the jeans and sneakers approach of much of the management, which leads to a "mean girls" "highschool" mindset.