MWR

Summer Job

Lifeguard (Former Employee)
Kingsville, TX

I worked at MWR

ProsFriendly staff. Flexible Hours. Tolerable Patrons. Above average pay, regular raises.

ConsHOT! WEATHER. Its in Kingsville, Tx. Knit-Picky Management, not enough trust to let employees handle what we are trained for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the lifeguards do their jobs. They are there everyday and keep a re pore with the patrons. They are capable of running the entire operation by themselves, the management is in place simply as an image; it's really not necessary for this establishment. I'm sure they run other things without a hitch, but that pool is out of their realm.

Pretty decent company if you can dodge the Two-Face'ness and worker rings...

Recreation Assistant (Current Employee)
Fort Irwin, CA

I have been working at MWR full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPretty flexible with schedules if you want to go to school or have two jobs, It's easy money if you get into Recreation, Dodged the Furlough in my position so that great also, Fun environment

ConsTwo-Face staff's, Feels like you constantly have to fight for hours, No benefits, No vacation or Sick leave, Too many worker rings and cliques, Poor communication from management, Absolutely no room for advancement....well unless you're a female, Constantly have to watch your pay because payroll makes ALOT of errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the communication between Management and Subordinates. Improve the payroll system. Please take notice how the Directors only promote women and women only. Try to get everyone together as a team and make things fare so social rings don't get created as often.

Not a good company to work for.

I have been working at MWR

ProsThe military guys and girls are a pleasure to work with.

ConsHard to get promoted. They hire people in management positions that are not qualified. It is definitely a good ole boys club. I definitely would not count on this company for a career but just a side job while you finish school.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you work hard or don't work at all you are treated the same. You are not even told Thank You and definitely not compensated for going that extra mile. Hire people that are qualified and you would not have to close facilities and would actually make money. MWR has taught me that women have a long way to go to be equal.

Thankful to have a job and proud to serve the finest of people.

Pizza Driver (Current Employee)
Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at MWR part-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunitry of free Training for Employees.

ConsHourly wages should be higher, minimum is 9.20 outside of NC. If people want the service of Food delivered to their doorsteps then they should aknowledge this in form of tips. Could not make ends meet the last two month because sometimes people come from oversees where tips are included or the younger folks just don't know that this is our main income. I drive a company car but made last month only 40 Dollars driving 12 days, 3 hours each. Can not pay my bills. NC is called a at will state and employers can hire and fire as they please.

Good job for college students or retirees, but not exactly a career choice

Recreation Aid (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at MWR

ProsThis job was at a fitness center on a Navy Base in San Diego. If you want a job that is very casual and light labor this is it. I was in college and there was a lot of down time on the job, so my manager permitted me to do homework and study while I worked. The community is good to work with if you have experience around the military. The MWR staffs are usually very small per facility, so the group tends to feel a lot like a family, where everyone takes care of each other. Time off, breaks, etc are very easy to negotiate; either you do it via paperwork or simply ask the manager and he or she will say, "sure, no problem!"

ConsIt's not a career. It's a part-time, in your spare time job that pays minimum, with no opportunity for raises unless the state raises the minimum or if you stay long enough to receive the annual pay raise of less than a dollar an hour. Overtime is not usually permitted because MWR facilities don't typically have the budget to pay employees that extra money (it is funded by the profits of the Navy Exchange). Since the staff environment is very casual, it can sometime cause lack of discipline where it's needed, and so employees take advantage by working less efficiently. Rules and standard operating procedures are not spelled out specifically enough for employees to know precisely what to do in specific situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe casual atmosphere may make employees more comfortable in their jobs, but since it leads to a lack of discipline, I would recommend that the leadership of MWR take a stand and require more responsible behavior from the employees.

Like NYC this base is not like any other base in the world

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I worked at MWR

Prosbenefits for permanent employees full-time and part-time

Status as a federal employee

ConsConstant restructuring that waste resources

High-turn over in talented employees

Personal agendas and motives taking president over professional goals

Lack of professionalism and confidentiality for personnel complaints and issues

Large number of over paid, low preforming management that is covered up with paper work

Abuse culture that is destructive to a positive work environment : gossip leading to personnel
actions

But because human capital is constantly moving, most employees on the base who started at other bases agree that this location is a poor representation of what the army workforce has to offer. It has on several occasions been called not a real base, where federal civilian and active duty employees go to be forgotten, dye, and to completely throw caution to the wind and do what they please.

Advice to Senior ManagementA major house cleaning needs to be done of all management. Having high numbers is not indicative of a successful program, the population that is reached is captive and limited to what they know which is army resources. More consideration needs to be taken in creating a professional atmosphere rather than the jeans and sneakers approach of much of the management, which leads to a "mean girls" "highschool" mindset.

Great place to work!

Projectionist (Former Employee)
Sasebo (Japan)

I worked at MWR

ProsFlexible hours, great 2-way communication, good pay.

ConsNot enough hours, lack of resources.

My experience overall at his company has been very good.

I have been working at MWR

ProsIt would be a great idea to work for this organization as long as you work at great location. You have great potential for growth at this organization.

ConsYou can sometimes apply to a location and then once you begin to work you might realize that you are in a stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise them to make some management changes because at my particular location there were a lot of things that should be fixed.

I love working for this comapny

I have been working at MWR

Proswork with great people and great work in/

Conssometime have to work on the weekend and holidays

Decent job for College Student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MWR

ProsGreat place to work if you are going to school or have a family life before work. I would highly reccommend the job for those just looking for some help to buy extra bills or for christmas money.

ConsHowever, would not reccommend as a career cause there is little hope for advancement, and the effort that you put in is rarely ever compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the cailbur of people that you have working for you that would allow to use all assets for the best work environment.

Worked for MWR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MWR reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by MWR employees.