MWR Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
CEO

1. I loved the many jobs and there was plenty of training for both lower and higher up employees.

Former Employee - Recreation Aid in Santa Rita, GU
    Former Employee - Recreation Aid in Santa Rita, GU

I worked at MWR part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours Tranferable Jobs lots of training Avalibility of Advancement Benefits Great work enviroment

Cons

Low pay for alot of hours Short breaks Working on Holidays

Advice to Management

Dont be afraid to change or learn something new!

2. Decent but not great job

Pros

Family friendly Steady paycheck Decent office space Formerly had top tier clients Gym in building

Cons

Very much an old boy work environment Low salaries for all but top management Oddball employees Not a congenial firm atmosphere

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. Train junior employees. Offer room for advancement. Treat women fairly.

3. Working for MWR has been a great experience as my first job.

Current Employee - Recreation Aide in Fort Gordon, GA
    Current Employee - Recreation Aide in Fort Gordon, GA

I have been working at MWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for MWR is great because everyone is so committed to supporting the armed forces and nice. Most people are friendly. Very flexible depending on your position, worked around my schedule even with school, and it was fulfilling. There were many opportunities for meeting higher ups and networking.

Cons

My challenge is the lack of benefits. They weren't available for me. Although I didn't have things like built up time for time off, I could just put in a leave request form. There's no insurance plan or other benefits.

Advice to Management

Management is great! All of the higher ups work hard and even help in lower positions when needed. They do their best with every task and promoting and supporting the military.

5. Bad Management

I have been working at MWR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wish I could think of some positives of this particular position but I can't. I would like to believe that my experience with MWR Management is/was isolated to just Ft Sill.

Cons

Generally in business building profits is largely what performance is based upon from a business manager. If you agree or disagree with the premise at least it's generally understood. Ft Sill MWR is run by gossip and a "gotcha" type atmosphere. I just can't imagine anyone actually liking it there.

Advice to Management

Management is the problem right from the top. I understand how with some jobs it's healthy to rotate to different posts/bases to avoid individuals building too much political capital and garnering too much control. The entity becomes less about serving those who serve and becomes about reinforcing the power that has been built up. If they continue to go down the road they are currently on they will need to outsource some of the services of MWR. A business cannot sustain making decisions that have no basis in building profitability.

6. Good and Bad

Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MWR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Great programs for military families. Depending on who you work for it can be very pleasurable.

Cons

Very difficult to move up unless you know someone. Very difficult to get a raise, and when you do it seems pretty pointless cause it is only twenty cents. Work load gets heavy, they like to give you other people's jobs and keep you low in pay. Typical office drama gets old hearing people complain about the same stuff day after day. Difficult to fire people so people who wouldn't be working in any other job are nice and secure in theirs.

Advice to Management

Fire those who deserve to be fired. How many chances can you give a person? Give some people a raise! They may just be willing to work a little bit harder if they were being paid what they deserve.

7. Very interesting atmosphere work environment, communication is not being heard or taught well.

Current Employee - Cook in Dugway, UT
    Current Employee - Cook in Dugway, UT

I have been working at MWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy helping the customers needs.

Cons

Supervisor doesn't train their employee's very well in some areas. Lots of employee's are uptight in the work environment.

Advice to Management

Need better leadership, training, understanding, communication, listening skills from the supervisor to better the employee's so everyone can be on the same page in work environment.

8. Pretty decent company if you can dodge the Two-Face'ness and worker rings...

Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Fort Irwin, CA
    Current Employee - Recreation Assistant in Fort Irwin, CA

I have been working at MWR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible with schedules if you want to go to school or have two jobs, It's easy money if you get into Recreation, Dodged the Furlough in my position so that great also, Fun environment

Cons

Two-Face staff's, Feels like you constantly have to fight for hours, No benefits, No vacation or Sick leave, Too many worker rings and cliques, Poor communication from management, Absolutely no room for advancement....well unless you're a female, Constantly have to watch your pay because payroll makes ALOT of errors.

Advice to Management

Improve the communication between Management and Subordinates. Improve the payroll system. Please take notice how the Directors only promote women and women only. Try to get everyone together as a team and make things fare so social rings don't get created as often.

9. Not a good company to work for.

Pros

The military guys and girls are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. They hire people in management positions that are not qualified. It is definitely a good ole boys club. I definitely would not count on this company for a career but just a side job while you finish school.

Advice to Management

If you work hard or don't work at all you are treated the same. You are not even told Thank You and definitely not compensated for going that extra mile. Hire people that are qualified and you would not have to close facilities and would actually make money. MWR has taught me that women have a long way to go to be equal.

10. Thankful to have a job and proud to serve the finest of people.

Current Employee - Pizza Driver in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Pizza Driver in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at MWR part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunitry of free Training for Employees.

Cons

Hourly wages should be higher, minimum is 9.20 outside of NC. If people want the service of Food delivered to their doorsteps then they should aknowledge this in form of tips. Could not make ends meet the last two month because sometimes people come from oversees where tips are included or the younger folks just don't know that this is our main income. I drive a company car but made last month only 40 Dollars driving 12 days, 3 hours each. Can not pay my bills. NC is called a at will state and employers can hire and fire as they please.

11. Summer Job

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Kingsville, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Kingsville, TX

Pros

Friendly staff. Flexible Hours. Tolerable Patrons. Above average pay, regular raises.

Cons

HOT! WEATHER. Its in Kingsville, Tx. Knit-Picky Management, not enough trust to let employees handle what we are trained for.

Advice to Management

Let the lifeguards do their jobs. They are there everyday and keep a re pore with the patrons. They are capable of running the entire operation by themselves, the management is in place simply as an image; it's really not necessary for this establishment. I'm sure they run other things without a hitch, but that pool is out of their realm.

RSS Feed </> Embed