MWW Group

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael W. Kempner

Don't let the smoke and mirrors fool you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Rutherford, NJ

Prosdress code, culture, great coffee selection, nice co-workers

Consdisconnected HR department, inconsistent interview process, inadequate salary, work/life balance, inability to place talent properly.

If you are considering working at this agency, be prepared for a lot of late nights, heavy workload, and inadequate compensation. My advice is to network as best you can and get out ASAP. They are money hungry and will nickel and dime anyone, including their employees. Although I met the CEO a handful of times, he asked me "who I was and what I do for the company" on my last day of employment.

Thanks for the "free" bagels, but I'll pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo at first this place seems great - You can wear jeans (always a plus!) and if you find yourself on a great team like I did, you will likely make some long-lasting connections and maybe even earn yourself a great mentor. I thoroughly enjoyed my team members, co-workers, and general atmosphere most of the time. However, HR needs to step it up a bit. They truly have no idea what's going on in terms of team dynamic, interview process, or candidate qualifications.

Traditional PR Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChance to learn about PR industry and clients

ConsLack of responsibilities given
    Little trust in interns
    Front desk responsibilities expected

Not the place I thought it was

Account Coordinator (Current Employee) East Rutherford, NJ

ProsBagel Thursdays, Happy Hours, work from home possibilities, flexible with commuting, very supportive ENTRY level staff, easy to be independent

ConsTerrible supervisor, management is terrible, too corporate-y, bad pay, boring work, getting emails and expected to respond at all hours of the night, no room to move, very political, 9-6 hours (who works from 9-6?).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program and learn to care about your staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good junior staff, management needs improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsJunior staff members are enthusiastic and hard workers.

ConsSenior management is not engaged and do not give feedback to team; too many top level hires

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged in the development of your staff members to improve performance. Hire more people at the junior level to help produce.

Risky agency to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting clients, nice people in the offices outside of NYC and NJ. Pay was good.

ConsLike most agencies, your success is completely contingent on how much business you bring in the door. The pressure to bring on new clients is intense, except when you are successful, you can't hire to staff the team. The answer was often "we can do it NJ." Satisfaction is completely contingent on which office you work in - wouldn't work in the NJ office for all the money in the world.

They also had NYC and NJ staff trying to service clients in cities where MWW has an office and they don't consult the local office at all. Even when the local office could have offered expertise and of course cost efficiency.

This is not an agency that invests in its people outside a core group. The people who succeed at MWW fall into 3 categories A) Been with Michael Kempner forever B) Are Jewish C) Have pitbull personalities and/or wolves in sheep clothing.

Training resources - non-existent. HR - one person who is always overburdened.

The biggest problem with MWW is the owner has a very, small core group of people who have been with him forever - and these people are not leaders and make the environment toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some 360 reviews of your core senior team and not with the employees who will tell you what you want to hear.

Sink or Swim

Account Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat client base, relatively friendly employees, CEO makes an effort to talk to everyone in the office

ConsLittle to no training, low pay, long hours, expected to perform above your level

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to on-board your employees. New employees aren't mind-readers and aren't going to know for day one that they are supposed to reach out to you to have weekly check-in meetings. Paying attention and caring for your new employees is only going benefit everyone on the team in the long run. The MWW environment is very "sink or swim." If you are not blessed with great managers, you will sink.

Overall good company, a lot to work on.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice office
    Summer Fridays
    Lots of vacation time
    Very friendly founder/CEO (knows everyone's name, friends with employees on Facebook, very hands-on)
    Collaborative admin team

ConsEveryone is over worked and underpaid
    Constantly hiring but never seem to have enough staff
    Execs too busy to mentor, need more support

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's good to be private and small, but need to follow models from larger companies for procedures. Needs more structure. It will make the employees feel more secure. Too much chaos to be truly successful.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAllows for interns to participate in the creative process and allows for input. The final internship project in which interns present a pitch to the CEO is invaluable experience.

ConsSometimes work can be mundane daily tasks and the public relations field is fast and stressful but overall not your typical internship

Advice to Senior ManagementGood overall job try to avoid anything that would make interns bored or that doesn't push them to challenge themselves intellectually but overall good experience.

The lion's den

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI must say the greatest benefit of working here is having big name clients to fluff your resume.
    The free fruit, snacks, and breakfast food is a nice touch as well.
    The company is growing which normally means growth opportunity
    The NY office location though on a local train is in a really cool neighborhood

ConsWhere do I begin - first I'd say this is a place full of people hungry for power but lack the expertise and ability to lead; very top and bottom heavy with little to no middle managers;
    Employees are frequently overworked - avg 60 hours or more a week
    There's no such thing as work life balance here the expectation is that your life is work and work is your life
    Nepotism is rampant - make sure people really like you
     A lot of hires are relatively inexperienced in the job they've been hired to do
    Despite working with huge companies and having employees over service clients regularly - the company takes shortcuts that compromise the quality of work (I.e poorly maintained subscription services, lack of logins, frequently changing vendors, no company accounts/cards and frequent issues with billing and expenses)
    Teams are extremely unorganized (i.e. new hires lack direct managers for months) as are a lot of important business functions (hiring, performance reviews, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople make a company great - really invest more in your people, value them and treat them with respect;
    Work on establishing quality leadership that lead by example and eliminate micromanaging as a practice
    Motivate employees don't police them
    establish training and development for all levels of employees, not just entry level employees

Internship

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Clients, great opportunity for learning new skills, team was beneficial

Conscompensation was not very good when factoring commute.

Worked for MWW Group? Contribute to the Community!