MWW Group

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.2

Michael W. Kempner

Positive experience with great people

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at MWW Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

MWW is a friendly environment. There is a strong willingness to help other employees. Always, work to do, but work is never too difficult. Can listen to music while working.

Cons

Long hours and an older office. Some employees do not integrate well with the office culture. Oftentimes, a lot of travel is required around the DC area.

Tough clients, tough to get promoted

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at MWW Group full-time

Pros

Summer Fridays, free snacks and drinks, flexible WFH days, decent benefits, fun office culture, some big-name clients, travel opportunities

Cons

It depends on your client and your manager, but they are generally tough on lower-level employees. Most senior-level staff is off-site more often than not, so junior staff members are left alone in the office. You are always expected to be available. I would sometimes get harassed on PTO. Not a lot of positive reinforcement. Top-heavy teams make it difficult to get promoted. High turnover.

See the cons above...

An agency on the decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MWW Group full-time

Pros

Some prestigious clients, better work/life balance than other agencies, HR really tries to create and maintain a positive culture. Great location.

Cons

MWW is on a serious decline. There is more turnover than there has been in recent history and moral is pretty bad overall. Teams are very segmented and there are new people being added all the time and nobody seems to know what they do.

The new "Chief Social Strategist" is a cancer to the organization and has been a big reason for killing the morale for many people, not just those on the digital team. MWW's digital group had been one of the shining stars of the industry but that is not the case anymore. Creatives and strategists at all levels are treated like morons, constantly disrespected and overloaded with too much work with too little staff. What's worse is that everyone across the entire network of offices knows this but nothing has been done to fix it.

Stop being so stubborn and admit you made some bad hires. If you don't think one bad egg can ruin an organization, you need to get your head out of the sand and see what's happening around you.

It's all office politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MWW Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, bagel Thursdays, handful of really talented people

Cons

There are so many office politics going on in this place that nothing ever gets done. Senior management spends all their time talking behind each others backs and it is a constant power struggle.

Meanwhile, the talented young professionals slave away on client deliverables while upper management stamps their name on it. Want to try something innovative at this agency? Don't waste your time - it will never get approved. Client work is mediocre at best, take your talents somewhere else.

Unless your family is connected to the CEO somehow, don't plan on sticking around long. They'll replace you with the son or daughter of a big client or local politician.

Stop badmouthing each other. It sets a bad example for younger staff and makes for an uncomfortable work environment. Nothing gets done this way.

Great team members with indecisive management

I have been working at MWW Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Talented team members who are driven and results oriented

Cons

No time to settle in to your roles or responsibilities; no onboarding or training offered.

MWW is an entrepreneurial firm where smart self-starters can do very well.

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at MWW Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MWW has interesting clients and challenging assignments from them. They reward hard work. It is a terrific company for junior level staff to start their careers and learn about the PR business from the ground up.

Cons

Like all PR firms, it requires people to multi-task and work independently. MWW is a hands-on firm, that runs very lean.

Penny Dreadful

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at MWW Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Listen up and listen good - this agency is a pro at keeping people way passed their expiration date - no seriously - we are talking folks who have been there 15 plus years doing nothing - but the pro is still making top dollar

Cons

Wow where does one begin - it's like a dog chasing its own tail round and round and just doesn't understand it's going around in circles

Wake up, make proper decisions, reinvent agency from media relations chop shop to a 21st century pr agency - and telling people you are global is like me saying I'm the president - even that spin doesn't worn

Revolving Door for Young Talent- Dead End for Managers

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at MWW Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good amount of vacation time, sharp employees, decent consumer practice

Cons

Horrendous middle manages, very poor corporate PR practice due to Account Supervisors and Directors

Listen to the lower-level employees, learn to actually respect the administrative staff and think outside of the box. Just because and idea doesn't fit into the a job function of any current staff, listen to it, evaluate it and look into its potential benefits- there are some eager people working here who want to see you succeed. Stop firing people after 9 months, giving the work to an intern and not hiring them after such dedication to the company- it's sad.

Last, please learn that PR is more than simple media hits in outlets no one reads. This is a 5 star company operating at a 1.5 and look forward to leaving the company for bigger and better things in the near future.

Good internship experience

Former Employee - Public Affairs/Government Relations Intern in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Public Affairs/Government Relations Intern in Trenton, NJ

I worked at MWW Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people who work at MWW were all extremely welcoming, friendly, and helpful. They created an atmosphere that was both challenging and rewarding.

Cons

I only had the opportunity to experience one of the practice groups. It would have been nice to be able to experience some of the other areas of the company.

Don't let the smoke and mirrors fool you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rutherford, NJ

I worked at MWW Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

dress code, culture, great coffee selection, nice co-workers

Cons

disconnected HR department, inconsistent interview process, inadequate salary, work/life balance, inability to place talent properly.

If you are considering working at this agency, be prepared for a lot of late nights, heavy workload, and inadequate compensation. My advice is to network as best you can and get out ASAP. They are money hungry and will nickel and dime anyone, including their employees. Although I met the CEO a handful of times, he asked me "who I was and what I do for the company" on my last day of employment.

Thanks for the "free" bagels, but I'll pass.

So at first this place seems great - You can wear jeans (always a plus!) and if you find yourself on a great team like I did, you will likely make some long-lasting connections and maybe even earn yourself a great mentor. I thoroughly enjoyed my team members, co-workers, and general atmosphere most of the time. However, HR needs to step it up a bit. They truly have no idea what's going on in terms of team dynamic, interview process, or candidate qualifications.