MZ Berger Reviews

Bernard Mermelstein

Overworked, Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at MZ Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of time off: 19 Holidays in a year plus 16 vacation/personal days. Two company outings a year.

Cons

They let you loose and pray you can swim. The people who work the hardest and longest hours are underpaid. Office looks like a warehouse. Benefits are not the greatest.

Invest in your employees.

Awful place with inappropriate behavior and extremely low pay!

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Long Island City, NY

I worked at MZ Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jewish Holidays, Sick days, and personal days

Cons

It took me a long time to even think of writing this. When I got out of here, I ran fast and never looked back.
       It is true, to get noticed and get higher in the company you must sleep around. If you are female, some of the higher ups (Even the CEO) will regularly linger around your desk at random times of the day "talking on the phone" but they are really there to check you out. HR... won't help you at all and they know exactly what goes on. This place has had so many lawsuits by former employees for sexual harassment.
       Hard work gets you nowhere. I pride myself on being a hard worker... unfortunatly they will just throw a lot more work out at you and they will still say you aren't working hard enough. You will never leave on time, even though you've done plenty of work for the day. You will be called into your bosses office and they will go over all your work that still needs to be done for the week and ask why you felt the need to leave "early" (when really you jet left on time). By the way, need to come in late or leave early (like actually early before the work day ends) for something important like a doctor checkup, don't be surprised if you are threatened of being fired. I'm young so I rarely need to go to many doctor visits within a year. My doctor happened to notice some irregular lumps so she wanted to get a CAT scan done ASAP. I gave my Boss 2 days notice that I would be about 2 hours late so that I could get this procedure done. Boy, was I given a hard time over this. Things like "I should've scheduled it earlier in the day", "I better not fall behind", and "there's plenty of people who would love to have my job".
       Standards are so low here. There's more concern with getting more quantity of watches done in a day than actually quality and designing something nice. There were so many times when a boss had said "it's for Walmart. They don't care, these watches are cheap anyway. Just give them more options and they will be fine". And putting together presentations... for big companies like hot topic, Walmart, Sears (the list goes on, they are so fortunate to have them as clients), wow the way thing are thrown together are embarrassing. I never presented anything in that manner even in college. I don't know how the companies don't laugh in their face during meetings... or maybe they do. You will never know because even though your work is being presented, you will never be asked to join meetings or to even brief your boss on your work before a meeting. It's too much since it would show a little appreciation or importance to the work you have done and they must always talk down to you here.
       Lastly keep dreaming about a raise (or a decent one). Around the time of my one year mark, I had grown a lot in the company and was given a lot more responsibilities. It was very fair and understandable to ask for a raise as i felt I deserved it (especially with the awful pay I had started out with). Well, my boss proceeded to explain that the company actually can not afford much as far as raises (but in fact MZ Berger is a million dollar company). I started to explain why I deserved a raise and went over my normal work day with her and how much my responsibilities had grown in a year. In response she told me she would try her best and proceeded to lecture me on my spending habits and asked how much my credit card bills were. She told me I should save my money and not shop as often and mentioned that my parents should help me if anything.
       Oh, Also don't even think about internships here... Useless as well. The first intern I was told to "train" was so desperate for a full time job and she was a good, hard worker. When I told my boss about her progress, her reply was "You know I don't care about how she will do. We will never hire her, the company doesn't want to pay. Just make sure she helps you with all of your work. Make sure she's always busy."

None, It would be a waste of my time. Keep running your company like you do and hopefully you'll run it to the ground.

Not a place to hang your hat or pay your bills on time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I worked at MZ Berger as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting daily graphic design work

Cons

Being paid. Being told the truth about being paid. Getting the constant run around.
    Lame management. Not very good actors and actresses when it come to finding lost paychecks.Surprised no-one took them to court yet.

Advice to management is to actually have one. There is no mangement.
    No one has any authority or doesn't want it or just lies about it.
    "PAY YOUR FREELANCE EMPLOYEES"

Good if you suck up to the right people

I worked at MZ Berger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of time off
    laid back- management doesnt stand behind you making sure your work is done
    easy going environment
    never need to stay late

Cons

unorganized and dirty work environment- boxes piled everywhere
    have to get in with the right people to get ahead
    gossiping, never seem to get rid of the worst people in the company even though they get into fights and scream at people

value employees who do a good job and listen to the real complaints about the true troublemakers

Ruthless Back Stabbing Place where Anything Goes

Former Employee - Sales Support in Long Is City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Long Is City, NY

I worked at MZ Berger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Brands thanks to a few talented individuals. There is a lot of creativity here and the team is able to develop a lot of new things in minimal time.

Cons

Better have a thick skin if your going to survive here. Sales people are cut throat and out for themselves. Management will knife you in the back when saving face becomes necessary. Lots of discrimination and sexual harrassment. There is no one to complain to because a human resource departmen is non-existent. High Stress, High Pressure Think Tank where only the ultra thick skinned can survive.

They wouldn't listen so whats the point. I think management is okay with the current corporate culture. This company has been around for many years and this culture is deeply embedded. My advice is more for someone considering taking a job here. Just realize this is what it is before you join this company. If your ultra thick skinned than go for it.

Graphic Designer? That's what i was told

I worked at MZ Berger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some great brands.
    Some of the most friendly and talented people (non-management) i have worked with.
    You get Jewish holidays off.

Cons

Very unorganized, sometimes it seemed like management had no idea what they were doing. Every project is last minute with no real sense of priority.
    Little to no forethought on managements part.

No appreciation or compensation for hard work and long hours.
    Really Low salary (1%-3% annual pay increase if you get anything at all), with no where to move up to.

Have a problem in the company? To bad no HR department exists!

Not really a design job, you wont be designing anything, its more like graphic and product plagiarism, with a dab of appropriation, company heads are laughably other the impression that they keep up with tends, by the time they copy and produce an item most of the time the trend came and went.

The most commonly used phrase in this company is "i don't get payed enough to give a sh_t".
    This company as a serious moral problem.
    Share your wealth with the creatives not just the managers and heads of the departments, this would help productivity.
    You guys are working on a business model from 100 years ago, the world is changing you need to modernize.

Learn the rules of etiquette the fact that this needs to be brought up is ridiculous, for example walking by your employees and not acknowledging their presents when they say hello, is very rude weather its the "CEO" or anyone else, show appreciation, a thank you for good job goes a long way. Get off your high horse!

Your a company that works with other peoples brands but you can't seem to get your own brand together, this is really sad. This is like buying a watch that doesn't tell time.
    For example, when i was there you had several different MZB logos, the logo at reception desk is different from the logo on the business cards, and in some cases the MZB logo is different from department to department. This makes the company look very unorganized and disjointed, even if its true, you don't want to seem that way outside the company.
    Expand your brand, stop being so reliant on licensors to make money, time to cut out the middle man, i realize this is not easy, but you need to try.

Let your creative people be creative, weather you agree or not, this will help you in the long run.

Unprofessional

I worked at MZ Berger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are lucky to have great licenses thanks to the hard work of former employees. Such as Disney and Nickelodeon.

Cons

NO HR department. Unfortunately if you are not jewish or don't sleep with top management you won't get recognized at this company. Top management is not experienced, unorganized, and cold, unless they are putting up a facade for the licensors.

Since this company was handed down to the current CEO, he wouldn't care enough to bother to read this. They are very fortunate to have had great employees and these licenses. Surprised that these licensors would work with this type of company.

Horrible

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at MZ Berger full-time

Pros

-you learn to design as fast as you can
    -you work on a large variety of brands
    - co-workers are young
    - you get Jewish holidays off

Cons

-you are ALWAYS working as fast as humanly possible
    -Manager was rude, unhelpful, and over demanding
    -Salary is very low for the amount of hours you put in and the pace of work.

Don't act like you are so high above everyone else. At the end of the day, your business is making $0.99 watches.

Embarresing

I have been working at MZ Berger

Pros

Among all the employees, there are select few that are good people.

Cons

Expect to be overworked, severely underpaid (unless you are sleeping your way to the top!), and dont expect hard work to get you promoted. Nothing about this company is ethical, not even an HR department exists, and if you doubt any of this, just ask the employees what their turnover rate looks like.

good amount of holidays but that's it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at MZ Berger

Pros

Easy to see how business people work in field.

Cons

Not many things to learn about design. Low salary. No appreciation.

There is no rule.