Mac-Gray Reviews

Updated February 23, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
Mac-Gray Chairman and CEO Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.
Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.

1. solid company

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great POS platform; solid management

Cons

purchased and absorbed by CSC

2. Field Technician

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

I worked at Mac-Gray

Pros

Steady work, company provided vehicle.

Cons

The calls are overwhelming. Company uses used parts causing increased call load.

Advice to Management

Quality is important. Formal tech training would be valuable. A career path would be nice.

3. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Accountant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Mac-Gray

Pros

Good work environment, good managers

Cons

There are no cons that I had seen

5. A company that lost its way....

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition, it was a solid place to work. Everyone worked hard and management had a clue and we were known for good service.

Cons

Now that CSC has purchased us, the service is lacking. Management is out of touch. They pretend it is great and send stupid praise emails. They are either clueless or just plain ignorant.

Advice to Management

Start over.

6. Wish I would have known how good I had it

I have been working at Mac-Gray full-time

Pros

Technically up to speed, for a laundry company. Great marketing team, good use of Salesforce, and good understanding of good business practices.

Cons

Sold out to Largest competitor.... sad day. They aren't as up to speed with technology. The company looks after only their own rather than the betterment of the company.

Advice to Management

When going through a merger, don't send out 3 annoucements every week letting everyone know that you have promoted yet another one of your own people to a "vice president" position rather than keep a Mac-Gray employee. It stung everytime. Start looking out for the company not just your personal favorite employees. Everyone should follow the same set of rules.

7. Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Mac-Gray full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional group of people to work with within the department and cross-functionally!

Cons

There were definitely times when I was disappointed with the communication level. Sometimes it seemed that the right and left hands did not know what the other was doing.

8. Interview - onboarding

I have been working at Mac-Gray full-time

Pros

Companies are the people you work for and report to not the companies themselves. Having a connection to your manager is key. The manager I worked for was the best they had.

Cons

Meeting Gov. requirements were in need of improvement. Not that we didn't follow and meet them but - what a waste of time.

Advice to Management

My manager should run the show, the company would be better off.

9. Gain great experience, don't expect advancement

Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Low-stress work environment. A pleasant place to work with nice people.
    - Some departments offer the ability to gain varied experience; a great foundation/stepping stone to other opportunities
    - Flexible schedules and very generous paid time off opportunities. Perks like Summer Fridays.
    - Industry leader in laundry constantly making improvements to its service offering

Cons

- Professional advancement is important to me, and was something I emphasized upon hire. As I excelled at my position and positions above me opened up, it was disheartening to see that in spite of the fact that I was told Mac-Gray hires from the inside, they absolutely prefer bringing in new hires from outside. It's discouraging and encourages high turnover
    - In conjunction with the above, formal annual review process is in place, but seems to be just for show. A good review does not translate to higher monetary compensation (there is a "standard annual raise") or improved opportunities. Mac-Gray does not take employee development seriously.
    - While some benefits (time off) are impressive, pay is very low and healthcare could use improvement.
    - Has a very large, corporate feel to it. Innovation is not encouraged in departments other than R&D. The corporate structure has a very slow and bloated feel to it, minimizing adaptability and creativity.
    - Company technology (computers/software) are slow and outdated, contributing to major inefficiency and frustration.
    - Service department needs improvement for the rest of the company to function effectively.

Advice to Management

- To avoid turnover it is so important to value your top employees and move them forward. I have seen promising hires leave much to the shock of management, and I can't understand their surprise. No one compensated the top employees for their hard work; their exit was inevitable. Please take annual reviews seriously and structure in monetary incentives that seriously reward hard work. Good hires are hard to come by; value them.
    - Throw out all of your computers and buy new ones. The technology is painfully outdated.
    - Human Resources needs improvement. Training is great but compensation, benefits, and a culture created by HR are sub-par.

10. What

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Mac-Gray

Pros

They don't bother me and supply me with a vehicle at no cost to me. The benifits are also good

Cons

They don't supply me with the parts and knowledge needed to do my job properly.

Advice to Management

Get real

11. good place to work but difficult to get ahead.

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Mac-Gray

Pros

flexible work schedule, non stressful, good benefits, good work environment. very supportive of employees looking for a work- personal life balance. nice boss.

Cons

I got very little feedback regarding my performance. Very cliquish environment. I didn't get the impression that while I could continue at my job for as long as I wanted..but promotions or pay raises were very hard to come by.

Advice to Management

yearly employee reviews that are discussed with the employee so that they can know what to improve on. discussion of an employee's career path so that they can know what to do to get ahead in the company.