Mac-Gray Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Mac-Gray Chairman and CEO Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.
Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.

1. Its the MacGray way or hit the highway

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Its a job but don't expect too much from it.

Cons

Senior Management are clueless of the operation of the organization. Most are not from this industry. There is a very serious cultural rift between sales and operations. Sales tend to be college educated, well paid and whine about everything. Operations are techs who seldom become management because there is no methodology to train them. Therefore operations tend to be blue collar, poorly paid, and the whipping boys for every problem. Sales takes great satisfaction throwing Operations "under the bus". I never heard of an organization where the branch sales team is not responsible to branch managers. The internal accounting software is not user friendly to the staff who are given P&L responsibility without any input. Sales overestimates new job revenue and operations then suffers from missed targets.

Advice to Management

Create a training program for recruiting technicians. Bring in a consulting team to review branch salaries; what they will find is sales is grossly over paid and operations grossly under paid which is evident in the high turn over. Something is seriously wrong when senior staff who accompany an acquisition are gone within 24 months. Something is seriously wrong when the customer base that accompanies an acquisition, and has been stable for years, starts to erode immediately after MacGray takes over.

2. A company that lost its way....

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prior to the acquisition, it was a solid place to work. Everyone worked hard and management had a clue and we were known for good service.

Cons

Now that CSC has purchased us, the service is lacking. Management is out of touch. They pretend it is great and send stupid praise emails. They are either clueless or just plain ignorant.

Advice to Management

Start over.

3. Stepping Stone or Just Stay Away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

The benefits are okay. They use PTO (personal time off) instead of vacation time, this is a major plus; offer tuition reimbursement after a year of employment, 401K with employer matching (there is a vested schedule and I think you get 100% matching after 6 years), and the Health Insurance is 80/20, although not the best insurance coverage. They are somewhat flexible with schedules, but I think it depends on the department and the person in charge.

Cons

Not really any room for advancement or professional growth. Most positions seems to be pretty much administrative, not much middle management. There is absolutely no communication in the corporate office, or between the corporate offices and the branch offices throughout the country. HR is pretty much non-existent, there are no kind of team building or corporate outings to, no real corporate culture, mostly each department does their own thing and doesn't know what the other departments do, not much acknowledgment of employees and the work they do (I don't even think the executives really know what their employees do), employees are not asked to be involved much or asked for their ideas. I don't see much job satisfaction, but some do. This is a good place to work if you don't like to be challenged, don't care about advancing your career and basically just want to go to work, do a mundane job and go home. I guess it is a good place to start to get some experience in an office and then move on to much better things. Many jobs do not translate to jobs outside of this company. Be warned, salaries start low and raises are a standard 3% with not much opportunity for much more, this company cares more about the bottom line and retaining good employees.

Advice to Management

Change the way employees are treated. Not that they are treated badly, just not acknowledged, rewarded, involved much in the company (offer a way employees can let management know what is not working well and ideas on how it can be improved). There needs to be some kind of employee corporate outing and/or team building, show employees you appreciate them (and the lame Christmas parties do not count).

5. What

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

They don't bother me and supply me with a vehicle at no cost to me. The benifits are also good

Cons

They don't supply me with the parts and knowledge needed to do my job properly.

Advice to Management

Get real

6. Interview - onboarding

I have been working at Mac-Gray full-time

Pros

Companies are the people you work for and report to not the companies themselves. Having a connection to your manager is key. The manager I worked for was the best they had.

Cons

Meeting Gov. requirements were in need of improvement. Not that we didn't follow and meet them but - what a waste of time.

Advice to Management

My manager should run the show, the company would be better off.

7. Unorganized

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great PTO, I had good hours. Good Benefits

Cons

Major disorganization between Customer Care Center (Woburn), Branches & Corporate locations. Most clients on the phone want to complain about service but there aren't any service managers available withing the CSC. There was only about one or two branches that actually cared about customer satisfaction and cared about actually picking up their phones. The CSC took all the beatings while the local branches and sales rep did a good job in not following up with customers. No growth. Company prefers to hire from thge outside.

Advice to Management

There has to be more connection betweens all levels of service. Need employees that actually care about whats going on within the companies. Allow current employees growth.

8. Gain great experience, don't expect advancement

Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Low-stress work environment. A pleasant place to work with nice people. - Some departments offer the ability to gain varied experience; a great foundation/stepping stone to other opportunities - Flexible schedules and very generous paid time off opportunities. Perks like Summer Fridays. - Industry leader in laundry constantly making improvements to its service offering

Cons

- Professional advancement is important to me, and was something I emphasized upon hire. As I excelled at my position and positions above me opened up, it was disheartening to see that in spite of the fact that I was told Mac-Gray hires from the inside, they absolutely prefer bringing in new hires from outside. It's discouraging and encourages high turnover - In conjunction with the above, formal annual review process is in place, but seems to be just for show. A good review does not translate to higher monetary compensation (there is a "standard annual raise") or improved opportunities. Mac-Gray does not take employee development seriously. - While some benefits (time off) are impressive, pay is very low and healthcare could use improvement. - Has a very large, corporate feel to it. Innovation is not encouraged in departments other than R&D. The corporate structure has a very slow and bloated feel to it, minimizing adaptability and creativity. - Company technology (computers/software) are slow and outdated, contributing to major inefficiency and frustration. - Service department needs improvement for the rest of the company to function effectively.

Advice to Management

- To avoid turnover it is so important to value your top employees and move them forward. I have seen promising hires leave much to the shock of management, and I can't understand their surprise. No one compensated the top employees for their hard work; their exit was inevitable. Please take annual reviews seriously and structure in monetary incentives that seriously reward hard work. Good hires are hard to come by; value them. - Throw out all of your computers and buy new ones. The technology is painfully outdated. - Human Resources needs improvement. Training is great but compensation, benefits, and a culture created by HR are sub-par.

9. Field Technician

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

Pros

Steady work, company provided vehicle.

Cons

The calls are overwhelming. Company uses used parts causing increased call load.

Advice to Management

Quality is important. Formal tech training would be valuable. A career path would be nice.

10. good place to work but difficult to get ahead.

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

flexible work schedule, non stressful, good benefits, good work environment. very supportive of employees looking for a work- personal life balance. nice boss.

Cons

I got very little feedback regarding my performance. Very cliquish environment. I didn't get the impression that while I could continue at my job for as long as I wanted..but promotions or pay raises were very hard to come by.

Advice to Management

yearly employee reviews that are discussed with the employee so that they can know what to improve on. discussion of an employee's career path so that they can know what to do to get ahead in the company.

11. Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Mac-Gray full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional group of people to work with within the department and cross-functionally!

Cons

There were definitely times when I was disappointed with the communication level. Sometimes it seemed that the right and left hands did not know what the other was doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed