Mac Papers Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
3.7

Sutton McGehee

Very nice people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mac Papers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People there were all very nice, easy to work with, and willing to assist. Great organization for an older worker to feel right at home.

Cons

Many long time employees, not wanting any change.

Moderinize a little bit, even if a little at a time.

Great company, but CEO is out of touch with how Managers are treating employees

Former Employee - Rather Not Disclose in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Rather Not Disclose in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mac Papers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEO and Senior upper management are down to earth and pleasant to be around. Company has solid history and pay is decent. Most upper management (on third floor) are great to work with and are very cordial. Dealing with branches was almost always a pleasant experience.

Cons

CEO, Sutton, is out of touch with the employees. Most employees, unfortunately, have been unhappy in the last 1-2 years and most are looking for a way out. Some of these employees have been with the company 10+ years. The morale in certain departments is at an all time low. There are certain managers that treat employees with little dignity and as if they are well beneath them. There is no where to air grievances outside of going straight to the top, which is highly frowned upon, as there is no department that will listen to non-management employees . The choice for employees if to stick it out and put up with being talked down to or get out. Quarterly Bonuses are low when compared to the work flow and annual bonuses of Upper Management.

To Sutton, please get in touch with your employees. Once upon a time you did anonymous surveys, I would highly suggest you do that again. You are one of the kindest men I've ever met, I know you would be hurt if you only knew how your employees felt about their managers. There is truly no where to go to talk about problems with supervisors because of the favoritism in certain departments. Notice the employees that work hard to keep the company running through all the acquisitions, notice them through their bonuses, like you did in years past. Upper management gets bonuses enough to buy houses and cars, but the real work is done by the non-management employees.

High School

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time

Pros

Pay is decent for the job you do. Some people are cool but not in management. Hard to find a lot of positive things to say honestly.

Cons

Favoritism runs wild here. Hardly rotate shifts for people who deserve it. When you address problems with supervisors and you are a newer employee they are very quick to dismiss you. Most managers will treat the people they don't like worse than dirt and get away with it. Unless you are in the cool crowd you are a outsider and any ideas or solutions are thrown away. I do not recommend working here. Trying to find the fastest way out.

For the most part, I enjoyed working at Mac Papers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mac Papers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good group of people (with the exception of a few bad apples). A lot of flexibility for doctors appts, etc

Cons

Salary scale is horrible. That company is making money hand over fist and they pay their employees very little. Quarterly bonuses, if that's what you want to call them. Any problems with direct supervision/mgmt are not addressed by higher ups. A lot of blatant favoritism and rules are on individual basis, not across the board.

Handle the problems for you non-management employees when they are presented to you. Increase your pay scale considerably.

Nearly Eight of the Best Years of My Life!

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mac Papers is family owned and operated and they treat their employees as if they were family. Mac Papers is continuing to grow. They are diversifying and I can tell that they are ensuring the longevity of their company for their employess and for the next generation of owners.

Cons

It is a distribution company so the locations are convenient to major highways, not to restaurants or shopping centers...

Forward thinking company, determined to evolve.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mac Papers is a forward thinking company, that was built on a solid foundation. It has made several key acquisitions over the past 10 years, and continues to show that its committed to growth. Each employee is provided with ample opportunity to succeed, and hard work does not go unnoticed.

Mac Papers is a family owned business, so decisions and change can be made quickly. Mac Papers has a strong set of core values, and it's reflected in the leadership. At Mac Papers, you're a name, not a number, and it honestly feels like a family... we all look out for each other. Mac Papers is extremely loyal to all of its employees.

The devotion to growth, shown by the management at Mac Papers, is a key element to its success. In a changing world, Mac Papers continues to evolve with the times. It will not settle for being second best.

Cons

The pros far outweigh the cons.

Continue to listen to your staff.

It is such a blessing and privilege to work for such a great company.

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mac Papers truly cares about its employees. With the economy the way it is, times are tough and many companies are looking to cut back cost. Mac Papers did the opposite and gave back to the employees in appreciation for their hard work. Its great to work for a company who cares and genuinely respects their employees!

Cons

Turnover is rare because everyone loves working for Mac Papers so advancing in the company may be tough.

Keep listening and respecting your employees because that goes a long way!

Greed driven

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riviera Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riviera Beach, FL

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The day is pretty much your own

Cons

Micro-managed, no expenses, sub-standard pay, lots of paperwork, no support

Pay according to industry standards

A successful family-owned company who values its employee's success as well

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From day one, it was apparent people want to be at Mac. Tenure is long, environment is welcoming, and the leadership is available. While much is still expected, I have never worked for a company who encouraged me to keep my family as my priority.

Cons

With such low turnover, change in internal positions are not frequent. Patience and letting your hard work speak for itself is a lesson to learn.

While everyone does work hard, help to keep the challenge in front of us. Hold us more accountable of how we can go beyond what we can become comfortable doing.

It has been an incredible experience and a honor to work for such a great company.

Current Employee - General Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mac Papers has a very friendly staff and everyone works together as a team to help each other out.

Cons

They only let me work 8 hours a day.

Continue to listen to your sales force because the sales force is the voice of Mac Papers customers.

Mac Papers Photos

Sutton, David and Mac McGehee are second-generation leadership of Mac Papers, a family-owned distributor of paper, packaging, printing and office supply products.
Wide format printing equipment and consumables.
Mac Papers' Atlanta Branch