Mac Papers Reviews

Sutton McGehee

1. Treats employees well, stable company and honest family

Current Employee - Sales, Sustainable Initiatives in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales, Sustainable Initiatives in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked at Mac Papers for 8 years and don't ever plan to leave. The company looked out after me and my job during the recession and made it's people a priority. They are fair, respectful, hard working and it's a fun group.

Cons

The paper industry is in a decline, so business is hard to grow.

Advice to Management

Focus on innovation.

2. It is such a blessing and privilege to work for such a great company.

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mac Papers truly cares about its employees. With the economy the way it is, times are tough and many companies are looking to cut back cost. Mac Papers did the opposite and gave back to the employees in appreciation for their hard work. Its great to work for a company who cares and genuinely respects their employees!

Cons

Turnover is rare because everyone loves working for Mac Papers so advancing in the company may be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and respecting your employees because that goes a long way!

3. Forward thinking company, determined to evolve.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mac Papers is a forward thinking company, that was built on a solid foundation. It has made several key acquisitions over the past 10 years, and continues to show that its committed to growth. Each employee is provided with ample opportunity to succeed, and hard work does not go unnoticed.

Mac Papers is a family owned business, so decisions and change can be made quickly. Mac Papers has a strong set of core values, and it's reflected in the leadership. At Mac Papers, you're a name, not a number, and it honestly feels like a family... we all look out for each other. Mac Papers is extremely loyal to all of its employees.

The devotion to growth, shown by the management at Mac Papers, is a key element to its success. In a changing world, Mac Papers continues to evolve with the times. It will not settle for being second best.

Cons

The pros far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your staff.

5. Nearly Eight of the Best Years of My Life!

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mac Papers is family owned and operated and they treat their employees as if they were family. Mac Papers is continuing to grow. They are diversifying and I can tell that they are ensuring the longevity of their company for their employess and for the next generation of owners.

Cons

It is a distribution company so the locations are convenient to major highways, not to restaurants or shopping centers...

A successful family-owned company who values its employee's success as well

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From day one, it was apparent people want to be at Mac. Tenure is long, environment is welcoming, and the leadership is available. While much is still expected, I have never worked for a company who encouraged me to keep my family as my priority.

Cons

With such low turnover, change in internal positions are not frequent. Patience and letting your hard work speak for itself is a lesson to learn.

Advice to Management

While everyone does work hard, help to keep the challenge in front of us. Hold us more accountable of how we can go beyond what we can become comfortable doing.

7. I haven't met someone who doesn't love working at Mac Papers

Current Employee - Director of Marketing and Communiacatoins
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing and Communiacatoins

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, strong corporate values that drive daily decision making and operations, significant loyalty to employees, entrepreneurial spirit, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The company sometimes acts like it's smaller than it really is.

Advice to Management

Focus on stronger accountability.

8. It has been an incredible experience and a honor to work for such a great company.

Current Employee - General Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mac Papers has a very friendly staff and everyone works together as a team to help each other out.

Cons

They only let me work 8 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your sales force because the sales force is the voice of Mac Papers customers.

9. Hard-working, family-owned, values-centered, successful company that puts employees first

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Mac Papers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Mac Papers. It's a medium-sized, family-owned company that treats its employees with respect, honesty, loyalty and genuine care. Mac Papers provides an opportunity for me to put previous work experience to good use and learn from other talented people who work here. In my role, I am allowed to be entrepreneurial, innovative and make a noticeable contribution. Leadership is firm but fair and my manager is encouraging and educational. Compensation is competitive and incentive-based in many cases, which makes us work harder to make this company even better. Incredible work/life balance.

Most of all, this is an ethics-based company and leadership makes decisions (tough as they may be) every day on strong values and moral conviction. I feel good coming to work every day because of this.

Cons

Downsides of working at Mac Papers are harder to come by. Sometimes the company is so loyal to its longstanding employees, and in turn it gives some people the comfort to remain at status-quo. I think increased accountability at various levels could push the company forward at an even faster rate.

Advice to Management

Hold us more accountable for the work we do. You do a great job of giving us room to succeed without micro-management, but some people will do a better job with a bit more close-knit accountability.

10. Very nice people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mac Papers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People there were all very nice, easy to work with, and willing to assist. Great organization for an older worker to feel right at home.

Cons

Many long time employees, not wanting any change.

Advice to Management

Moderinize a little bit, even if a little at a time.

11. Great company, but CEO is out of touch with how Managers are treating employees

Former Employee - Rather Not Disclose in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Rather Not Disclose in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mac Papers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO and Senior upper management are down to earth and pleasant to be around. Company has solid history and pay is decent. Most upper management (on third floor) are great to work with and are very cordial. Dealing with branches was almost always a pleasant experience.

Cons

CEO, Sutton, is out of touch with the employees. Most employees, unfortunately, have been unhappy in the last 1-2 years and most are looking for a way out. Some of these employees have been with the company 10+ years. The morale in certain departments is at an all time low. There are certain managers that treat employees with little dignity and as if they are well beneath them. There is no where to air grievances outside of going straight to the top, which is highly frowned upon, as there is no department that will listen to non-management employees . The choice for employees if to stick it out and put up with being talked down to or get out. Quarterly Bonuses are low when compared to the work flow and annual bonuses of Upper Management.

Advice to Management

To Sutton, please get in touch with your employees. Once upon a time you did anonymous surveys, I would highly suggest you do that again. You are one of the kindest men I've ever met, I know you would be hurt if you only knew how your employees felt about their managers. There is truly no where to go to talk about problems with supervisors because of the favoritism in certain departments. Notice the employees that work hard to keep the company running through all the acquisitions, notice them through their bonuses, like you did in years past. Upper management gets bonuses enough to buy houses and cars, but the real work is done by the non-management employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed