Mac Tools Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014
2.4

Michael Murray
1 Rating

Good company to be a dealer for if you can handle the work and stress

Former Employee - Owner  in  Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Owner in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Mac Tools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Independance, never boring, dealing with many people, performing many functions, no one to blame except yourself.

Cons

Your a one person business. Hard work, long hours, stress, having people owe you money, dealing with people that are angry with their lives, having to sell, sell, sell.

Evil

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mac Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The money and benefits are really good for the work you do.

Cons

Despite the benefits the constant need of management to treat people like dirt makes the job not worth it. They'll follow some policies while ignoring others. Will fire you for the smallest misstep. I worked there for 6 years doing twice the production quota while my co-workers were doing half that and management keep saying "we're doing something about it" for over 6 months. Despite my hard work I made one mistake and was tossed aside and terminated without a warning or write up. Co-workers are petty, lazy, vindictive and will do their best do get under your skin and get you fired. Like me.

Stanley needs to look at management because they make the Soviet Union look like Tibet. Communist to the core.

Almost communist. DC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mac Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits. Great brand, has potential

Cons

They worry about the looks of building but not the quality or even the employees who bust ass everyday. Newer employees are expected to kill themselves while older ones are lazy. If they don't like you they'll do anything to get rid of you.

Stop acting so evil, don't know where you learned it, but happy employees are good employees. The way things are people just skate under the radar so they don't get fired but that's it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent

Current Employee - Distribution Center  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Distribution Center in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mac Tools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and used to be a good tool company.

Cons

Management has got the art of disrespect down. Supervisors treat you like your a moron if you make a suggestion, but ten minutes later they will use it and act like it was there idea. Plus laying off people so you can pay for a less efficient picking system, was just criminally stupid. Having to work a year as a temp and them acting like it didn't exist. Lower paid employees are expected to kill themselves while higher waged employees are talking and slacking off.

Dear Stanley Black & Decker you need to clean house of management.

Need a better support system

Former Employee - Distributor  in  Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Distributor in Golden, CO

I worked at Mac Tools

Pros

You are your own boss

Cons

you have to deal with Collections and bad debts.

Support Needed

Solid Company With Great Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mac Tools

Pros

Great bralnd name with strong leadership and a clear direction for growth. Owned by Stanley Black & Decker.

Cons

Decision making can be slower because of companies size and scope.

Stay the course.

Terrible

Former Employee - Dealer  in  Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Dealer in Edison, NJ

I worked at Mac Tools

Pros

Was a good brand to sell

Cons

No money. People dont trust buying from you. You get zero support from the company. Run and hide if you are asked to mortgage your life for below minimum wage salary.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves

Great people to work with, but in a restrictive environment.

I worked at Mac Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First and foremost, the people at Mac Tools, with few exceptions, are outstanding. They care about the direction of the company and the success of the distributors/franchisees. Mac makes great products and has wonderful people implementing its daily business process.

Cons

The business model is old and front loaded. Mac can at times spite the "nose on its face." There is a layer of management that doesn't need to be there, and as a result the company is too focused on itself and not enough on the success of its distributors/franchisees. Decisions come from the top down and little attention is truly given to innovation, creativity and profitability. Bad financing program (to end users for purchases).

Stop micro-managing everything around you. You can do without Region Managers. Paint the concept, set long term goals and let the District Managers actually manage their districts. Revamp the sales model to get rid of Business Builders; implement a real finance program instead of constantly applying band-aid fixes.

Mac Tools HQ

I have been working at Mac Tools full-time

Pros

Great People, Great Brand, Great Location. There is a clear focus on our Distributors, end users, and taking market share from our competitors. A good combination of small and big company culture. You can have fantastic relationships with individual Distributors and have the support of the biggest tool company in the world at the same time.

Cons

There are times the Company may not move fast enough.
    Some internal support structures could be better developed (e.g. internal IT systems)

Stay focused on Distributor Health

Worked for Mac Tools? Contribute to the Community!