Mac Tools

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Murray

Good company to be a dealer for if you can handle the work and stress

Owner (Former Employee) Petaluma, CA

ProsIndependance, never boring, dealing with many people, performing many functions, no one to blame except yourself.

ConsYour a one person business. Hard work, long hours, stress, having people owe you money, dealing with people that are angry with their lives, having to sell, sell, sell.

Evil

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe money and benefits are really good for the work you do.

ConsDespite the benefits the constant need of management to treat people like dirt makes the job not worth it. They'll follow some policies while ignoring others. Will fire you for the smallest misstep. I worked there for 6 years doing twice the production quota while my co-workers were doing half that and management keep saying "we're doing something about it" for over 6 months. Despite my hard work I made one mistake and was tossed aside and terminated without a warning or write up. Co-workers are petty, lazy, vindictive and will do their best do get under your skin and get you fired. Like me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStanley needs to look at management because they make the Soviet Union look like Tibet. Communist to the core.

Almost communist. DC

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits. Great brand, has potential

ConsThey worry about the looks of building but not the quality or even the employees who bust ass everyday. Newer employees are expected to kill themselves while older ones are lazy. If they don't like you they'll do anything to get rid of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting so evil, don't know where you learned it, but happy employees are good employees. The way things are people just skate under the radar so they don't get fired but that's it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent

Distribution Center (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood pay and used to be a good tool company.

ConsManagement has got the art of disrespect down. Supervisors treat you like your a moron if you make a suggestion, but ten minutes later they will use it and act like it was there idea. Plus laying off people so you can pay for a less efficient picking system, was just criminally stupid. Having to work a year as a temp and them acting like it didn't exist. Lower paid employees are expected to kill themselves while higher waged employees are talking and slacking off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Stanley Black & Decker you need to clean house of management.

Need a better support system

Distributor (Former Employee) Golden, CO

ProsYou are your own boss

Consyou have to deal with Collections and bad debts.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport Needed

Solid Company With Great Potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat bralnd name with strong leadership and a clear direction for growth. Owned by Stanley Black & Decker.

ConsDecision making can be slower because of companies size and scope.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

Terrible

Dealer (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsWas a good brand to sell

ConsNo money. People dont trust buying from you. You get zero support from the company. Run and hide if you are asked to mortgage your life for below minimum wage salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should all be ashamed of yourselves

Great people to work with, but in a restrictive environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFirst and foremost, the people at Mac Tools, with few exceptions, are outstanding. They care about the direction of the company and the success of the distributors/franchisees. Mac makes great products and has wonderful people implementing its daily business process.

ConsThe business model is old and front loaded. Mac can at times spite the "nose on its face." There is a layer of management that doesn't need to be there, and as a result the company is too focused on itself and not enough on the success of its distributors/franchisees. Decisions come from the top down and little attention is truly given to innovation, creativity and profitability. Bad financing program (to end users for purchases).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing everything around you. You can do without Region Managers. Paint the concept, set long term goals and let the District Managers actually manage their districts. Revamp the sales model to get rid of Business Builders; implement a real finance program instead of constantly applying band-aid fixes.

Mac Tools HQ

ProsGreat People, Great Brand, Great Location. There is a clear focus on our Distributors, end users, and taking market share from our competitors. A good combination of small and big company culture. You can have fantastic relationships with individual Distributors and have the support of the biggest tool company in the world at the same time.

ConsThere are times the Company may not move fast enough.
    Some internal support structures could be better developed (e.g. internal IT systems)

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on Distributor Health

Worked for Mac Tools? Contribute to the Community!