Mac's Convenience Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Real Plourde

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLearnt a lot about customer service.

ConsUnder paid job and long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with more incentives to work harder for the company.

Bad

Cashier (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsYou don't have to do much, just sit around, wait for customers, scan items and accept money.

ConsThe lotto machines are a bit confusing at first, some of the customers are just mean. Coworkers are all very sketchy, one of my coworkers stole tickets right infront of me, I was new so I didn't know what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider increasing base pay.

GOOD RETAILING COMPANY

Prosvery good job. good salary

Consnot much products in the store

Advice to Senior ManagementGOOD

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Angus, ON (Canada)

ProsGained some vital experience in a retail store environment. Manager was good. Not too much work.

ConsNo benefits and no breaks as you have to work alone and there are always customers.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to look after ur employees

Pretty good but lots of work!

Cashier (Former Employee) Windsor, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible schedule and understanding managers

ConsStanding for long periods of time

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the training for newbies better. I don't think I was trained properly.

Good company for a student job

Cashier (Former Employee) Surrey, BC (Canada)

ProsFree slurpees
    Free soda pop
    Leftover donuts

ConsGets crazy busy in summer

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendly to employees

hmmm

ProsGood benefits and work environment

Consnot sure of any here.

Overall A Boring Existence - Good For Extra Cash Though

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Clinton, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's a relatively easy job and the majority of the customers are wonderful. You get the odd idiot but that will apply in any profession. If you enjoy dealing with people this is a great way to earn some extra cash but I can't imagine doing this full time.

ConsAfter training you are in the store by yourself which means there is no opportunity for a break; lunchtime or bathroom, forget about it. You are on your feet for the entire shift and even though you get paid to work straight through for the full 8 hours you cannot leave for any reason because you are the ONLY person on the premises.

I thought there was a law about mandatory breaks but it clearly doesn't apply here.

There are no staff discounts or bonuses and you must pay full price for everything, even your coffee that you are not allowed to sit and enjoy.

I was fired because I refused to take any more crap from a verbally abusive daily customer. This is a small town and this person has a reputation; he is always under the influence of alcohol and has been barred from many businesses; he threatened to call the police on me which I could have dealt with but when he threatened to have my manager charged (with what, we weren't sure) I was let go and the reason I was given was because it would have caused too much grief for the company; I dread to think what reason my manager gave head office but it's water under the bridge.

Bottom line is that my boss fired me instead of backing me up and doing the right thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw your staff under the bus when things go wrong. Your employees are your first line of customer service and treating them like crap only hurts you in the long run. Back them up when things go wrong, especially when it comes to difficult customers. The customer is NOT always right, and you need to remember that.

the community slave

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsI can't say many great things about this place it was horrible working there I only stayed because the money.

ConsOh where do I begin... When I was hired there I was taught to do nothing except the cash. I nearly got fired because the people I had training me were constantly breaking the rules and I had learned that to be right. This was my first job I ever had so I didn't know any better, I hard to learn for myself. The boss and the employees would constantly abuse me by calling the boss and saying that I refused to come in when they didn't call me in the first place. According to my boss I wasn't allowed to turn down a shift because "you don't have kids, school, a second job, or dating". My boss was dating a family member so she could always get a hold of me and would often tell the other employees to do the same because I'd end up being forced to cover their shift. I stayed there two years because the money. I remember one time I turned down going to the employee Christmas party, because I had a prior engagement, and my boss threw a temper tantrum, like a little child, in attempt to make me go it failed and she ended up breaking her leg. The customers... When you go into this job you believe your job is to be a cashier, price the merchandise, and make sure everything is presentable to the public this is not the case. You are actually more like a maid to pigs and children. Even though there is signs all over your store people will throw their garbage everywhere but the garbage and will say "that's not my job" well its not mine either. I signed on to be a cashier not their maid or parent.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much to say you banned my boss for being corrupt and abusive id honestly love to shake your hand.

No help from Corporate

Operator (Current Employee) Kingston, ON (Canada)

ProsSelf Employed, Great Staff, Small Store, Great Customers

ConsLosses are unbearable especially when corporate charges the operator RETAIL prices for all shrink. Expected to lose around $2000 every 8 weeks after inventory usually to bad counts, but Market Managers not willing to spend the time needed to train operators on reports to find out what was happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication to operators, more training for operators on back office reports. Train Market managers on back office systems, they should know them inside and out so they can help the operators. Market Managers need smaller territories to spend more time with each operator.

Worked for Mac's Convenience Stores? Contribute to the Community!