Mac's Convenience Stores

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Real Plourde

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mac's Convenience Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learnt a lot about customer service.

Cons

Under paid job and long hours

Provide employees with more incentives to work harder for the company.

decent student job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Mac's Convenience Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

free slush, coffee. friendly store owner if you are lucky to have one

Cons

no breaks, you work straight hours without any kind of breaks. salary is low for the amount of hard labor and paperwork

Bad

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Mac's Convenience Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

You don't have to do much, just sit around, wait for customers, scan items and accept money.

Cons

The lotto machines are a bit confusing at first, some of the customers are just mean. Coworkers are all very sketchy, one of my coworkers stole tickets right infront of me, I was new so I didn't know what to do.

Consider increasing base pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GOOD RETAILING COMPANY

I have been working at Mac's Convenience Stores

Pros

very good job. good salary

Cons

not much products in the store

GOOD

Pretty good but lots of work!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mac's Convenience Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule and understanding managers

Cons

Standing for long periods of time

Make the training for newbies better. I don't think I was trained properly.

Customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Angus, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Angus, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Mac's Convenience Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gained some vital experience in a retail store environment. Manager was good. Not too much work.

Cons

No benefits and no breaks as you have to work alone and there are always customers.

try to look after ur employees

Good company for a student job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at Mac's Convenience Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free slurpees
    Free soda pop
    Leftover donuts

Cons

Gets crazy busy in summer

Be friendly to employees

hmmm

I have been working at Mac's Convenience Stores

Pros

Good benefits and work environment

Cons

not sure of any here.

Overall A Boring Existence - Good For Extra Cash Though

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative  in  Clinton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Clinton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mac's Convenience Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a relatively easy job and the majority of the customers are wonderful. You get the odd idiot but that will apply in any profession. If you enjoy dealing with people this is a great way to earn some extra cash but I can't imagine doing this full time.

Cons

After training you are in the store by yourself which means there is no opportunity for a break; lunchtime or bathroom, forget about it. You are on your feet for the entire shift and even though you get paid to work straight through for the full 8 hours you cannot leave for any reason because you are the ONLY person on the premises.

I thought there was a law about mandatory breaks but it clearly doesn't apply here.

There are no staff discounts or bonuses and you must pay full price for everything, even your coffee that you are not allowed to sit and enjoy.

I was fired because I refused to take any more crap from a verbally abusive daily customer. This is a small town and this person has a reputation; he is always under the influence of alcohol and has been barred from many businesses; he threatened to call the police on me which I could have dealt with but when he threatened to have my manager charged (with what, we weren't sure) I was let go and the reason I was given was because it would have caused too much grief for the company; I dread to think what reason my manager gave head office but it's water under the bridge.

Bottom line is that my boss fired me instead of backing me up and doing the right thing.

Don't throw your staff under the bus when things go wrong. Your employees are your first line of customer service and treating them like crap only hurts you in the long run. Back them up when things go wrong, especially when it comes to difficult customers. The customer is NOT always right, and you need to remember that.

the community slave

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Mac's Convenience Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't say many great things about this place it was horrible working there I only stayed because the money.

Cons

Oh where do I begin... When I was hired there I was taught to do nothing except the cash. I nearly got fired because the people I had training me were constantly breaking the rules and I had learned that to be right. This was my first job I ever had so I didn't know any better, I hard to learn for myself. The boss and the employees would constantly abuse me by calling the boss and saying that I refused to come in when they didn't call me in the first place. According to my boss I wasn't allowed to turn down a shift because "you don't have kids, school, a second job, or dating". My boss was dating a family member so she could always get a hold of me and would often tell the other employees to do the same because I'd end up being forced to cover their shift. I stayed there two years because the money. I remember one time I turned down going to the employee Christmas party, because I had a prior engagement, and my boss threw a temper tantrum, like a little child, in attempt to make me go it failed and she ended up breaking her leg. The customers... When you go into this job you believe your job is to be a cashier, price the merchandise, and make sure everything is presentable to the public this is not the case. You are actually more like a maid to pigs and children. Even though there is signs all over your store people will throw their garbage everywhere but the garbage and will say "that's not my job" well its not mine either. I signed on to be a cashier not their maid or parent.

Nothing much to say you banned my boss for being corrupt and abusive id honestly love to shake your hand.

Worked for Mac's Convenience Stores? Contribute to the Community!