MacAllister Machinery

MacAllister Machinery Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014

Chris MacAllister

A very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Salesman in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MacAllister Machinery full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented, driven to be the best.

Cons

Too many upper management people unfamiliar with their departments day to day operations, but still want to make the best decision for it.

Have less meetings and reports for your managers and let them get back involved with their teams and run their business.

RACIST Company. Do not work here

Current Employee - Cannot Say Company Retaliates in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Cannot Say Company Retaliates in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MacAllister Machinery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay, day shift hours, weekends off

Cons

All management is Caucasian.
    African American and Hispanic personnel are not treated equally.

Corporate personnel has made RACIST comments about my race in front of multiple Caucasian employees. The incidents were reported to Corporate management. A reply or resolve has not been received.

It would be wise of HR to investigate this matter with Management/Supervisor staff before a discrimination claim is filed with EEOC for Civil Right Violations.

A successful company with little respect for their employees.

Current Employee - Generator Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Generator Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MacAllister Machinery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, good earning potential, successful company, many opportunities within the company, well respected company, challenging work environment if desired,

Cons

lack of respect for their employees. their sole priority is profitability of the company and only the company, they do not value their employees and they are only seen as a dollar symbol,

treat the employees with more respect.

MacAllister Machinery- Rental Services.

I have been working at MacAllister Machinery full-time

Pros

The rental store division of Macallister machinery is the real money maker for the company so the majority of my review will be regarding this particular division.
    This company spends a great deal of time and money on training its employees. They provide an almost overwhelming amount of opportunities to better yourself and in turn you will better the company. I listed the hiring process as a "CON" due to the slow process involved. sometimes they can take 4-5 months to hire someone in. However the caveat to that is, they rarely have to hire for the same position twice. The potential for growth is great. A majority of applicants for new openings come via intercompany applicants. I would say 70 percent of the hires are intercompany hires. The do not limit you to positions within your division, which allows you to move laterally throughout the company or up within the company. This is great for going from say the rental industry to the dealership side. ( dealership employees typically make 18-25 percent more for the same position they held in the rental field.) This is further explained in the CONS sections. Overall this company values education but does not require a degree for many of its positions. I know a vast majority of management outside of HR and the Corporate officers that do not hold bachelors degrees. Rather they value a strong work ethic a desire to learn and better yourself accompanied being a generally intelligent person. Some would call it common sense smart. It really is a breath of fresh air in the job market today when so many companies want you to have a degree for a job that shouldn't require it. I enjoy working for this company despite the Cons listed below. I believe that as the company continues to grow the negatives will work themselves out.

Cons

- Do not value work life balance
    - It is made very clear the company is the priority and you will never be thanked or told you are doing a good job.
    - Good ol boy type of culture. This company works very hard and plays harder. If you are not drinker you won't last. Take it for what you will. Some people thoroughly enjoy that aspect of the culture others do not. It is not limited to this company either. It is a product of the industry as a whole. When you work with construction equipment that means you work with contractors and you need to be available 24/7. In turn when opportunities present themselves you capitalize on them.
    - This leads me to the largest negative aspect about this company.....LONG HOURS. It is not uncommon to work 70+ hour weeks during peak business season. This is not something that is necessary. Most of this is due to the lean and mean mentality that is MacAllister Machinery. - Hiring process is extremely slow moving. It is hard enough to find qualified people to work on heavy equipment. When you put them through a hiring process that can last up to 4 months spanning 3 sometimes 4 interviews you tend to lose their interest in the company.
    - Overall the pay is decent, however it is not up to nationwide standards. On average you will see compensation rates roughly 18-20% below market value. This is a problem that truly needs corrected. Macallister Machinery houses a dealership and a rental division. What you find is employees that use rental services to get their foot in the door and after the six month waiting period they start applying for dealership opportunities and thus more money for same position. It is also important to note that the dealership works a fraction of the hours. As far as I know they work standard hours. None of the craziness listed above. The willingness to work the long hours stems from the fact that most of your income is in the form of overtime. This is both a pro and con. Why you have to work exceptionally long hours to earn good money, this company will never tell you to cut down on your hours.

I am not an unhappy employee by any means. I thoroughly enjoy what I do and the company I work for. This is just fair assessment of what to expect if you are interested in employment with this company. I hope this information is helpful. Please take it at face value.

We need to close the gap between dealership wages and Rental wages. In my opinion losing good people due to compensation is unsatisfactory.

Solid company with eye on expansion and growth all the time.

I worked at MacAllister Machinery full-time

Pros

People, great crew of employees. Plenty of O/T available. Good ownership family.

Cons

Needs to offer more PTO and vacation to help employee "burn out" Pay scales could be better

on the right track. just need to fine tune benefits and hopefully help retain employees and slow down turn over rates.

Sales

Current Employee - Salesman in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at MacAllister Machinery full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome fun atmosphere, high pay and hot girls

Cons

Watching customers cry after they've been robbed by United Rentals and Rustbelt

Buy more new buildings. It's looking trashy.

EEOC should have an office in this company.

Former Employee - Confidential in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Confidential in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at MacAllister Machinery

Pros

It's a job with a pay check. But, with luggage.

Cons

Unfair practices...illegal labor practices. Poor retirement program. Poor health care benefits. Poor growth potential. Poor working atmosphere. Unfair treatment of SOME employees.

Chris MacAllister should fire the VP, the HR Mgr. and the Finance Mgr. They all lie, practice illegal labor tactics for their own gain.