MacArthur Foundation Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
3.2
Julia Stasch
1 Rating

1. Amazing Foundation, awesome mission statement - dedication to making the world a better place.

Current Contractor - Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the kind of dream job everyone should hope for, working for a foundation that provides world solutions to problems that effect lives of children, mothers, women and developing programs in collaboration with other organizations to make the world a better place

Cons

work-life balance is tough; especially when everyone brings so much caring and dedication to the many causes.

Advice to Management

Please continue your work in Africa

Disappointed in leadership and treatment of administrative staff

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; support of some great causes

Cons

Very poor management skills especially from the senior leaders. A few self-proclaimed super stars dominate the decision making. There is no clear vision for success for most. Staff members are encouraged to speak up and then are reprimanded when they do.

Advice to Management

Show that you value all levels of the staff. People from non-ivy league schools can have good ideas too!

As a Temp for several months I gave 100% for very little pay hoping it would make a difference, it didn't.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MacArthur has incredible staff who are friendly and willing to help you when you need resources. It's one of the best cultures I've ever worked in. There is a lot of self-sufficiency through-out Director and Manager levels but that may be because they aren't willing to hire full-time administrative help. I really enjoyed my position there and was really hoping that they would hire me but I did know their reputation going in.

Cons

MacArthur hires temps and interns who have a shelf life of just a few months. It's a shame because just when you get up to speed they let you go and bring on another temp or intern. Also, I could have been given more crucial work to do. When they interviewed me they were especially interested in my editing skills but they never gave me anything to read or edit. They didn't use most my talents or skillsets; they seemed to be content with my basic administrative skills.

Advice to Management

The constant use of temps is not an efficient way to run an organization. You spend months getting a temp up to speed and then you push them out the door to do it all over again.

5. Awkward environment, micromanagement in certain areas.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous benefits and time off policy including holidays. Shortened workday of 7 hours.

Cons

Micromanagement - doesn't allow you to make decisions. They need to go all the way up through the CFO.
    Favoritism over some areas - a lot of areas work from home or are never in the office, while other departments are tied to their desk in the office.
    MacArthur Foundation is such a great place on the outside, but the inside is completely different.
    No opportunities for advancement
    A lot of older folks who are at retirement age, but still work there. So the foundation has an older more outdated way of handling things.

Advice to Management

Recognize good talent before they leave. Consider more flexibility across all departments instead of playing favorites. Be aware of individuals who are not adding value to the department and who treat others badly.

Wonderful passionate people!

Current Contractor - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely one of the most passionate group of people who here. I was a temp for 5 months with the International Peace and Security and Conservation group. As a fresh graduate, I was in complete awe of all the staff's incredible knowledge and care for one another.

Cons

- They don't really hire as often as some others would like considering there is a need to have additional staff and some temps stay there for years before they are full time. :(

Advice to Management

For the upper management, please open up new positions that are needed for your staff! They do want permanent help and for people like myself, who were so eager to work for your company, this would would be a wonderful opportunity!
    I love the MacArthur Foundation!

Entire negative environment caused by Jonathan Fanton.

Former Employee - Program Officer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation

Pros

Working to support good causes

Cons

Very poor senior management - loses sight of balance between quality of work product and efficiency of time.

Advice to Management

control President's excesses