MacB Reviews

2.9
Sid Fuchs

1. Decent firm, but losing the culture that made them a great place to work

I worked at MacB full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits (depending upon contract). Family-oriented culture. Veteran-friendly.

Cons

New CEO is moving the company to a Washington DC-based outfit, and has eliminated a lot of the senior management that propagated the company culture.

Advice to Management

Change can be good, and processes obviously need to modernize. That said, the company was shrinking at the time I left, and by all reports has continued to do so. Most of the cultural impetus to stay with the company has been eroded. I would probably think twice about going back.

2. Some locations good, satellite offices mostly not

I have been working at MacB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, support for attending school and training. Company-wide benefits are better than average

Cons

Zero upward mobility, no budget for satellite office facilities or IT. The company only wants to put money where customers can see it, not where it will do the best good for the employees.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the mission statement of the company, and either change it to what you do now or change your management style to meet it. This is not the company many of us came to work for years ago.

3. Overall GREAT

I have been working at MacB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've read many of the other reviews on Glassdoor about MacB. I DO NOT agree with them. In my experience, MacB has been different than many other DoD contract companies. I think my local co-workers might agree. Upper management seems good to us and HQ has always been easy to work with to solve problems. HR personnel seems to always respond to inquiries quick and accurately. At least in my division our travel expenses are reimbursed in FOUR days or less. Now that really shocked me. All other contract companies have been two to three weeks for reimbursements. I know upper management has pooled unused PTO to give to an employee who was in need of it due to unforeseen circumstances. Again, I had never heard of that being done before. Again, at least in my division, our management seems to honestly care about our family losses and life situations that occur. I appreciate that! Thanks! But, not all divisions are the same and are made up of different people. Maybe their customers' fields or DoD services have something to do with that, I'm not sure. From my observations I think our group at our customer's site is quite well off salary wise. But again, I think that dependent on the specific contract and how well individuals were able to negotiate while at the table when MacB one the contract. We haven't received every annual raise, but many contractors outside our walls have taken cuts, we have not yet. If you're valuable to the customer and IF the customer has a clue, (many don't), the hard working technical people can do okay. Again, very customer dependent. Oh, they've also paid for technical customer-rated classes when the customer would not pay for them. Customer paid travel costs however. I think that's good for both MacB and the customers. I'd like to stay with MacB even if they lose the next re-bid, but maybe only in my current division. Benefits are good and I think MacB has tried to keep healthcare costs down as much as possible. Again, there's only so much a company can do with the mess the U.S. is in with healthcare.

Cons

I can only think of one off the top of my head and that's no sick time, only PTO. Again, some of that may have to do with the customer/contracts and/or the specific division of MacB.

Advice to Management

I think 5 days sick time would be a nice addition to the PTO.

5. MacB is a professional and progressive company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I have been working at MacB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MacB gives competitive salaries to all employees and fights for all rebids and new work to both ensure continued revenue and increase stability company-wide - new business creates a healthier company and grants new growth. With increased business, there have been, and will continue to be opportunity for advancement - high performance is recognized and rewarded for those individuals through raises, spot bonuses, and advancement. MacB's benefit package beats just about every other company I have considered, even beyond the individual salary. Management cares about individual employees - I know of several VPs who donated their personal leave to several junior employees who were enduring hard times and had expended their own PTO.

Cons

I am quite satisfied on all accords and look forward to seeing MacB's growth in the Augusta, GA area - they are well positioned for success.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The very large majority of employees I am in daily contact with are very happy, motivated, and loyal to the MacB way of doing business.

MacB continues to be a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

Excellent people, fair pay, great benefits, tuition reimbursement The team that I am a part of is hard working and mission focused. We work together and get results. We receive customer praise and occasional bonuses for going above and beyond. While the cost of employee paid medical expense has increase in recent years, I find that compared to some of my friends/family, it's in line with what they pay or even under. Plus the insurance is excellent.

Cons

The gov't awards for re-competes are much more competitive. As a contractor, it's difficult to swallow that the gov't is simply not paying as much for the same role. Naturally any business has to share the pain of this extra burden...

Advice to Management

Continue to support workplace flexibility

7. Company is Decietful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

Pros

Good people on job site with except in of site super.

Cons

Ok here we go contract awarded, told three weeks into the contract MACB under bid the contract track which understand is an industry standards, but told because of this you are to take off 16 hours a month to off set this difference, bs. Then 401k is stopped and medical benefits increase astronomicaly to where my actual take home salad has dropped 24000.00 dollars a year. The company 's answer Oh well it's the law you have to have medical. Insane. I pay more for medical than some one who own their own business. Management doesn't care about their employees, the company it self doesn't realize who got them where it is. By far would not recommended anyone to work for this company.

Advice to Management

Take care of the ones who do the work and quit the descieptfulness and cut throat.

Absolutely miserable

Former Employee - AGI Analyst in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - AGI Analyst in Augusta, GA

I worked at MacB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know this may sound odd but I was miserable for every second I was employed by this company as are most of the employees, everyone is looking for their way out. There are no "Pros" for working for this company.

Cons

No overtime when you work 12 hours a day 5 days a week, no shift diff when there is a day shift working opposite you. There is zero mentorship, no room for advancement, if you want your career to stall, be bossed around by a guy that looks like a serious child molester, carry 90% of the workload, and get underpaid for skilled intelligence work then please, by all means apply at: macb.com.

Advice to Management

Go to school, Shave, and get a haircut.

9. Great Operational Personnel, Horrible Upper Management

Current Employee - Analyst in Shalimar, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Shalimar, FL

I have been working at MacB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The camaraderie that is typical of military-esque companies such as MacB is one thing that gravitated me towards working for this company. I have wonderful working relationships with just about everyone I interact with.

Cons

The company verbally lied to their employees upon renewing a contract that "their pay wouldn't be cut and/or see sizeable cuts." In reflection I would imagine this was said to maintain proper manning levels so they could win the contract. Upon successfully winning the contract my co-workers and myself received 20%-25% pay cuts across the board as well as inflated cost to medical benefits piling another 10% in expenses. On top of this during my hiring phase the company expected me to shoulder 100% of the risk of relocation without assistance, only did I learn that they had a "self-help" program but the incentive was minor if at best.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to be more aware of the personnel they put in charge of individual contracts, the result of poor choices have lead to me as an employee feeling isolated from corporate and feeling like an expendable employee.

Company headed in wrong direction

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at MacB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were excellent people. Rewarding work. Was a company that really valued their employees when I first started.

Cons

Changes in upper management have led to using all resources to expand company. This has led to management forgetting what got them here. That is the employees. Have stripped away benefits and morale is quickly sinking after 3 straight years of this.

Advice to Management

Don't forget what made you the company you are today. Employees understand defense is tough in current atmosphere, but you can't strip people of raises and everything nice you once did from them while spending lots of money on newly created executive positions in Washington DC.

How do you tell your family that you just lost $10,000 to $26,000 in salary? Shalimar, FL management has no trouble...

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Shalimar, FL
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Shalimar, FL

I have been working at MacB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee's, good task and deputy lead's (lowest management).

Cons

MacB “leadership” in the Shalimar, Florida office (Site Lead, etc) had conducted many underhanded practices when it came to winning this latest “Lowest Pay Technically Allowed” (LPTA) contract. They duped the employee’s as well without us evening knowing it. They offered each of us a $1,000 bonus during contract negotiations if we would “hide” our resume’s from competing companies essentially paying for our allegiance, only to win and cut pay 25% and for some much higher (Imagine being told in “contract negotiation” that you are going to lose $10,000 to $26,000 dollars in salary for at least the next 3 years) and that it’s “Not negotiable"… no perks). Couple these large pay cuts with new contract hidden healthcare increases (because they did not feel like maintaining previous rates), and you can imagine some employee’s getting smacked with financial distress quite easily. It gets better… Immediately preceding the new contract, Shalimar management did a mass hiring of about 35 persons… but the troubling secret is that the management knew all along that the salaries they were offering were a COMPLETE lie, and that new employee’s would only enjoy those regular salaries for a month to literally days before the new contract, only to find out the truth upon contract win. Another deceitful measure was ensuring that new hires had to put in a two week notice to quit, this meant that once the new contact dropped, and the truth was out, that employee’s legally couldn’t quit during the most crucial period for MACB. Essentially, MacB they had to maintain their employee numbers to fulfill their obligation for the contract, and by forcing employee’s to give a two week notice, this left them ample time to “prove” they were reliable and contract ready, before employee’s could actually quit. All smiles upon hiring, and when in competition for contract only to be sucker punched where it hurts upon the win, but it’s business right? Least the boss gets to continue to drive his Mercedes. He sleeps just fine after telling 130+ employee’s that they’re losing so much. -No increased leave/vacation, even in light of significantly reduced salaries and drastically increased healthcare costs -Never was there any sick leave, before or after contract -401K gone, and the matching contributions that went with it in previous contract went away -Shalimar leadership maintained, if not increased their own salaries, and maintained same health care costs. -Employee’s are considered by Shalimar management, (and I quote) “Butts in seats, with clearances”. -The target employee for this company is a transitioning Senior Airman (E-4), because that’s exactly what they are going to pay you, good luck ever moving up... If you never want to move up again in the world, work for this company. Remember it is always easy to cut things like pay, but good luck ever getting those precious things back. The new standard has been set.

Advice to Management

Might as well tell the Air Force on the next contract that we will work for free. Keep fighting for your own necks, and never for your people.

RSS Feed </> Embed