MacDonald-Bedford, LLC

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

2.7

J. Zachary Bedford

Was able to gain an incredible amount of added experience.

Former Employee - Design Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to take on as much responsibility as I wanted, which allowed me to learn so many aspects of project management and the nuances of day to day running of the business side. Thanks to upper management my skill set grew exponentially during my time with them. I worked with a high caliber group of self-starting professionals, causing the bar to continually be raised. The monthly group social gatherings and annual festivities were definitely a much appreciated venue to relax with my co-workers and loosen up. The

Cons

I would be lying if I didn't say that it was sometimes stressful trying to push the envelope while gaining new experience. Sometimes long days and nights were required to get the job done.

Headhunter

Former Employee - Support Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can't think of any TO SAY

Cons

Management is Impersonal and dismissive

Treat employees better

Generally no complaints.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership recognizes the value of an employee's experience level.

Cons

Leadership sometimes disorganized, last minute requests for information.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very positive experience working for and supporting their contract needs.

Former Employee - Project Schedule Lead  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Project Schedule Lead in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

For a small company they were very supportive of their employees and their families. They tried very hard to provide us with the technical and onsite support we needed for our jobs.

Cons

Contract limitations for Long-term employement.

Continue you hard work and goals that you have set for your future.

Company that truly takes care of their employees

Former Employee - Management  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Alameda, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best in class compensation, treats employees like a family, personal + professional growth opportunities, and fun parties

Cons

Wish we had more face time with the President

Keep doing what you are doing

Not even if my life depended on this job!

Former Employee - Contract  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Contract in San Diego, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing to brag about - read the Cons.

Cons

FYI: I have over 10 years of government contract experience, and an MBA, just in case any of you readers questions the legitimacy of this review.

- Abusive owner and co-owner/ wife. "Mr. Bedford" has a I-am-the-king mentality, and expects the employees to do as he says and not be questioned. Smart leaders love open conversations and are open to suggestions by employees. Dumb/ narrow minded leaders control the employees' every move and treat the employees like children. He also loves to verbally abuse his employees - calling them names, berating them, and if you work anywhere else outside of the Alameda office, there is a high chance that "Mr. Bedford" would send you home crying for being treated like a piece of garbage.

His wife/ co-owner (Mrs. Macdonald) makes the employment experience even worse. She used to be an elementary teacher, which explains why she likes to get on the computer every morning and get inside the employees' Outlook Inbox to check ALL emails being written by the employees, and literally nit-picks their grammars/ use of English sentences, just like how teachers grade the students.

- Illegal activities going on inside the company. I would elaborate more, but upon naively accepting the job offer, I was required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, to not disclose anything that goes on in the company. Go figure!

- Invoicing issues that lead to delay in employees' paychecks. Yes folks, that's what I was told by one of the office branch managers - this company has experienced delaying employees' paychecks, just so the "Bedford King and Queen" can keep their lavish lifestyles.

Go back to Government contracting 101.

Not a place to choose for a career

Former Employee - Management  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Alameda, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing about this company is positive.

Cons

Incompetent ownership. Lack of focus and no business sense.

Close the doors and save the Tax Payers money.

Only as a last resort

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Landing a contract position with MacDonald-Bedford will provide one income
    - They provide compensation that I found to be fairly commensurate with the private, professional market in terms of benefits and health insurance.
    - I found stress to be incredibly low and contractually was limited to 40 hour weeks
    -With current market conditions being what they are, ie - state and federal government reluctant to hire full-time (long term) employee's, this is the new path to filling vacant positions.

Cons

- Poor mangement, particularly at the senior level. They talk about leadership but witnessed little.
    - When you work for them as a contract employee one only interacts with them for HR items which they constantly talk about improving, so apparently realize needs improvement, but there is very high turnover in their home office (Alameda, CA) so what should be basic tasks become pain-staking and annoying when you're constantly dealing with someone new and not up to speed on the idiosyncrasies of federal contracting.
    - Senior managment don't deliver on promises and are capable of conveniently 'forgetting' that they have made them so get them in writing!
    - In summary, after working for MacDonald-Bedford about a year, I'm left with the impression that they're wasting tax-payer's money and DO NOT provide value but rather take a high percentage of what could be the employee's compensation and use it to pay themselves regardless of how they perform.

Instead of talking about being a 'good to great' or 'built to last' company, focus on the basics of managing your assets which, HELLO, are your employees!

An organization with unrealized potential due to poor leadership

Former Employee - Associate  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Alameda, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC

Pros

Workaholic culture is attractive to some one who is solely focused on work and strives to make that a way of life.

Cons

No work-life balance, coupled with poor compensation amkes it a less attractive place to work; especially considering the many hours the employees put in despite lower compensation.

Win-win is more than a catch phrase! In order for any organization to thrive it needs to take care of its most important resources - employees!

A great company to work for short-term. The salaries are great, but promotion opportunity is very limited.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer/Design Manager  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer/Design Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC

Pros

Value employees. Salaries are very competative. Encourages employees to attend training to increase job skills.

Cons

Mostly government contracts. Not much opportunity for advancement within the company. No opportunity to advance to a leadership role.

Diversify the company.

Worked for MacDonald-Bedford, LLC? Contribute to the Community!