MacDonald-Bedford, LLC

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
3.2

J. Zachary Bedford

MacDonald-Bedford is a great employer to work for.

Current Employee - Program and Project Management Specialist(Management in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a field employee working at Joint Base McGuire- Dix-Lakehurst Mr. Bedford and his HQ have been very responsive to my needs when I call. In my case my salary is set by the DoD so dealing with pay level is really out of his hands ,but if pay issues come up he works diligently to get them resolves. He makes it a point to visit his field employees once a year so he puts a face with a name. I believe his company offers a good benefit package and I have found that his staff is very respectful when dealing with me and they resolve any issues that may come up. Although I've never met Mr. Herrera in person , when dealing with him either by telephone or teleconferencing I'm left with the feeling that he has giving my problem 150% and he appears to run a tight ship. Mr. Bedford is lucky to have a person of his caliber .

Cons

Since I work on the east coast at Joint base McGuire-Dix- Lakehurst and his company is on the west coast you would expect that logistical problem come up now and then and they do. But as stated earlier once I identify them they work diligently to resolve them. I do feel that he should do his in house training on scheduled work days and not on the holidays.

Consider changing the in house training to scheduled work days.

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Albans, WV
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Albans, WV

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very straight forward managemnt style.....The organizations CEO is ex-military so he brought those core values with him. High expectations and good people to work with.Gave me my assignment, offered support but did not try and micromanage.....Treated you like an adult and were expected to act like an adult.....no problems there.

Cons

Don't really have any.....good folks to work with.....office manager and day to day staff were great.

Again, don't have any.....overall a great experiance. Gave me a job when I was looking for a job....allowed me to take care of my family and I am grateful for that.......

Field Engineering Position

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Zach and staff made coming on board for a specific 2 yr timed project simple. The staff works hard to support remote contractors. A company that is built by veterans for veterans.

Cons

Prefer to conduct corporate training on own time by webex log-in vs during federal holidays in conflick with closed federal offices.

Clerical Staff

Current Employee - Clerical Staff
    Current Employee - Clerical Staff

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a family feeling to it, and the owners make their employees feel like they are a part of the family. They go out of their way (way out of their way) to take care of each and every employee and client, no matter how much effort it takes. Working for MacDonald-Bedford is an experience that a person is not likely to have in any other company, because the owners make working with them a very gratifying experience.

Cons

MacDonald-Bedford has very high standards for excellence, which means that there isn't very much fluff nor latitude to produce sloppy work. The employees are given a job to do, and they are expected to apply high standards in the performance of their duties, which can be difficult for new employees to understand and accept, especially if they have come from a previous company that has low standards and accepts sloppy work.

I hope that the management keeps doing what they are doing, and that they never waiver in their high standards.

Good company to work for, as a field employee.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-When interested in working as a service contract representative for the DoD, the government (military base) furnished my name to M-B, and they contacted me for a phone interview with Mr. Bedford. The interview was a relaxed conversation, that identified common interests and work styles. Mr. Bedford has a strong belief in his company and operates it in his own management style. He is a hands-on owner, that expects high quality work from his employees.
    -Excellent pay and benefits (as prescribed by DoD contract)
    -Field employees work autonomously from M-B, and work directly with their respective military base management
    -In-house support staff are knowledgeable, receptive, and helpful in answering questions and resolving issues. See cons below.

Cons

-When contacting the in-house staff, they seem to be overwhelmed in tasks, and working on short deadline projects. They seem stifled, because they need to run most decisions through Mr. Bedford (for approval). I have experienced this feeling with many of my concerns.
    -The time card reporting system was very cumbersome (when I worked there). An on-line payroll company (like ADP) may be a worthwhile investment.

Study the business model of JM Waller and Associates. Show more trust toward the in-house staff in their making decisions in their respective areas.

Current Employee for almost 2 years

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at MacDonald Bedford for almost two years as a contractor and I have had minimal issues with them, the staff, or the owner. They have paid for my continuing education to retain my design Build Certification and for my Professional Engineer license. The office staff has always been easy to contact when needed and they have provided prompt answers to my questions. The pay has been great and my workload reasonable.

Cons

I work outside the office thus I have very little knowledge of the inter-office working culture. The training on federal holidays could be completed at some other time and allow the individuals working for the federal contract to have this time off. I only negotiated 8 Paid days off in my contract so that is my issue not theirs.

Not sure if they have mastered the two books "From Good to Great" and "Built to Last:" that is the background for the firm. But by business terms, they are still a young business and have struggled in some areas.

Eh!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC

Pros

The Money is pretty good

Cons

Dealing with management is a pain

Get a life

You are nothing!!!

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you need money/job and it is the only reason, it is ok for a while.
    If you are superb skilled and important person, the company take care of you like a king!

Cons

There is only one decision authority in the company; Mr. Bedford. He thinks he knows everything and he is the most important person. He never let you to change anything and if you walk agaist his decisions or opinions, you become his enemy and he tries to get rid of you. The office employee work under high stress and they look like they do not enjoy it. Things change minute to minute. The company just focuses on the image and use your name for that image. The quality of the company is almost none but the field employees saves him with good work. However, field employees not related with the company and work for the goverment under MacDonald-Bedford which pays your salary.

Leave the management to someone who knows how to manage a company.

Headhunter

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any TO SAY

Cons

Management is Impersonal and dismissive

Treat employees better

Was able to gain an incredible amount of added experience.

Former Employee - Design Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to take on as much responsibility as I wanted, which allowed me to learn so many aspects of project management and the nuances of day to day running of the business side. Thanks to upper management my skill set grew exponentially during my time with them. I worked with a high caliber group of self-starting professionals, causing the bar to continually be raised. The monthly group social gatherings and annual festivities were definitely a much appreciated venue to relax with my co-workers and loosen up. The

Cons

I would be lying if I didn't say that it was sometimes stressful trying to push the envelope while gaining new experience. Sometimes long days and nights were required to get the job done.