Macado's Reviews

2.6
CEO

1. Macados is a waiting room

I have been working at Macado's

Pros

The hours were always flexible unless you were management, the pay was standard, and the staff was relaxed.

Cons

There is little room for growth. You either become a manager and work 55-60 hours a week or move on to a better job.

Advice to Management

There are always better ways to do things, if you aren't willing to try new ideas and innovate the company won't succeed.

Server

I worked at Macado's part-time

Pros

Laid back depending on the manager Allowed to take smoke breaks if you were a smoker 50% off food when on the clock Could leave early if it was slow as long as you weren't a closer

Cons

Servers had to do all the dishes, including those from the kitchen at the end of the night, yet didn't get paid any extra for this. You could be back there doing dishes and then get in trouble because it took you too long to get to your table. The tips sucked, people seemed to think since it was a sandwich place you didn't have to tip even though it was a full service restaurant. Horrible about scheduling, especially if you were in school

Advice to Management

Actually pay attention when making schedules, keep up with the people who don't do their part with dishes and cleaning, stop with the favoritism.

3. Worst job ever

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Macado's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. It's a total crap hole. They take advantage of you and all they care about is money

Cons

Everything. They treat you like garbage. You work 60+ hours a week without extra pay. No breaks. And you're treated like an idiot.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like morons!

hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Macado's

Pros

Fast passed during dinner hours, friendly guests most of the time, got tip outs

Cons

Hours were never regular, could get cut after working literally 1 hour.

6. Bar tender

I have been working at Macado's

Pros

they provide flexible scheduel for students

Cons

extra work is put on star employees

Advice to Management

s s s s s s s s s s s s s s

7. Decent, working for 3 years

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Macado's

Pros

Once you are in, your in. You won't get fired unless you serve underage or do something stupid like mouth off to the manager

Cons

Lots of dirty comments made with management not doing anything about it. Very unprofessional. Drug deals go on all the time.

Advice to Management

I would say to tighten up the reigns. The decor of these reasturants is terrible. Also, they don't allow people to work longer than 30 hours so they are not required to give them health benefits. That is wrong and should be illegal. Figure it out.

8. Good experience with room for growth

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Macado's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Despite being a restaurant, there is a lot of room for growth for those that succeed. I was initially promoted within 3 weeks of hiring (from hostess to server) and I saw many of my fellow employees get promoted to management. Overall the Macado's I worked at had good management whom I enjoyed working with.

Cons

The challenges at my branch were overworked and underpaid staff. First, many low level staff were unreliable which placed an extra burden on their coworkers. The training program could be re-vamped. People working in the position currently train new staff with little oversight. Trainers are selected from those that excel in the position, and therefore should be good trainers. However, many new staff are not open to being trained or do not pay attention. More oversight by management would help. The biggest problem I saw was understaffing. There is no dishwasher, so servers and bartenders must wash the dishes. This turns into a huge problem when the restaurant is busy. Secondly, the food line is understaffed, forcing management to work as a line cook 70% of the time, meaning that they are unable to perform their management duties. Managers are extremely underpaid and overworked.

Advice to Management

I saw management working up 12 hours at least 6 days a week. Hire more managers per restaurant to avoid overworking management. Hire more low level staff to improve customer satisfaction (for example, a dishwasher would improve customer service by freeing up server and bartender's time).

9. Good place to work if you're right out of high school

Former Employee - Retail in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Retail in Radford, VA

I worked at Macado's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, laid back place to work. Nice managers.

Cons

The staff mostly consists of young females, so there can be a lot of drama. The employee turnover rate is crazy... it seems like not many people stay there long.

10. Typical Restaurant Environment (favoritism, nepotism, and under-appreciation rampant)

Current Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Macado's

Pros

Laid back, Easy Going Atmosphere Lots of employees (positive and negative) Overall, management staff is friendly and supportive Easy job for a college student looking to work part time

Cons

Favoritism and nepotism make work environment frustrating at times Corporate price gouging is driving customers away (no customers, no tips) High turn over rate on employees and managers alike Employees are awarded for improvement, but not for a consistent job well done

Advice to Management

Look at the employees that constantly perform to the best of their abilities. You are alienating them by rewarding employees who improve from "should-be-fired" status. Also, take into account long-term employee suggestions.

11. It was a job to get by.

Former Employee - Deli
    Former Employee - Deli

I worked at Macado's

Pros

The restaurant I worked at was flexible with schedules. The co-workers and operational management were for the most part pretty laid back and team oriented.

Cons

The company really does not go out its way to give employees raises. Middle management is more micromanagement. Full time is almost non-existent except for management. At least when I was working there, the management would clock employees in and out. There was more emphasis on criticism then on seeking a balance with praise, at least with the District Management. Overall, the philosophy at Macado's is theory x and hierarchical rather than theory y (or contingent) and systems' based.

Advice to Management

Assistant management if you should move up, do not forget to keep looking out for the staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed