Macado's

Updated July 11, 2014
Updated July 11, 2014
2.8

CEO

Good experience with room for growth

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Macado's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Despite being a restaurant, there is a lot of room for growth for those that succeed. I was initially promoted within 3 weeks of hiring (from hostess to server) and I saw many of my fellow employees get promoted to management. Overall the Macado's I worked at had good management whom I enjoyed working with.

Cons

The challenges at my branch were overworked and underpaid staff. First, many low level staff were unreliable which placed an extra burden on their coworkers. The training program could be re-vamped. People working in the position currently train new staff with little oversight. Trainers are selected from those that excel in the position, and therefore should be good trainers. However, many new staff are not open to being trained or do not pay attention. More oversight by management would help.

The biggest problem I saw was understaffing. There is no dishwasher, so servers and bartenders must wash the dishes. This turns into a huge problem when the restaurant is busy. Secondly, the food line is understaffed, forcing management to work as a line cook 70% of the time, meaning that they are unable to perform their management duties. Managers are extremely underpaid and overworked.

I saw management working up 12 hours at least 6 days a week. Hire more managers per restaurant to avoid overworking management. Hire more low level staff to improve customer satisfaction (for example, a dishwasher would improve customer service by freeing up server and bartender's time).

Good place to work if you're right out of high school

Former Employee - Retail in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Retail in Radford, VA

I worked at Macado's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy, laid back place to work. Nice managers.

Cons

The staff mostly consists of young females, so there can be a lot of drama. The employee turnover rate is crazy... it seems like not many people stay there long.

Typical Restaurant Environment (favoritism, nepotism, and under-appreciation rampant)

Current Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Macado's

Pros

Laid back, Easy Going Atmosphere
    Lots of employees (positive and negative)
    Overall, management staff is friendly and supportive
    Easy job for a college student looking to work part time

Cons

Favoritism and nepotism make work environment frustrating at times
    Corporate price gouging is driving customers away (no customers, no tips)
    High turn over rate on employees and managers alike
    Employees are awarded for improvement, but not for a consistent job well done

Look at the employees that constantly perform to the best of their abilities. You are alienating them by rewarding employees who improve from "should-be-fired" status. Also, take into account long-term employee suggestions.

It was a job to get by.

Former Employee - Deli
    Former Employee - Deli

I worked at Macado's

Pros

The restaurant I worked at was flexible with schedules. The co-workers and operational management were for the most part pretty laid back and team oriented.

Cons

The company really does not go out its way to give employees raises. Middle management is more micromanagement. Full time is almost non-existent except for management. At least when I was working there, the management would clock employees in and out. There was more emphasis on criticism then on seeking a balance with praise, at least with the District Management. Overall, the philosophy at Macado's is theory x and hierarchical rather than theory y (or contingent) and systems' based.

Assistant management if you should move up, do not forget to keep looking out for the staff.