Macerich

Add Photos

Macerich President, CEO, and Director Art Coppola

Art Coppola

Macerich cares about you

Real Estate (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMacerich truly cares about their associates. The evaluations are just as much on how you get along with the team as how you perform number wise.

ConsSometimes hard for a type A manager to pull back and build a group mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that achieving the key performance indicators can be acheived by more than one method.

Guest Services

Guest Services Representative (Current Employee)
Evansville, IN

I have been working at Macerich part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay, good flexibility with scheduling, I really like my manager.

ConsNot a whole lot of room for advancement, and I would like more hours.

Great Experience with Wonderful People

Coordinator (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macerich as a contractor for more than a year

ProsManagers, Team Building and the work atmosphere were all great!

ConsSometimes the work was not challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Real Estate is an exciting field

Real Estate (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

Prosoffice location is great near 3rd Street Promenade and beach in Santa Monica
large company so can learn a lot

ConsLike all big companies range of expertise and personalities that you need to work with
Did not have a strong head of the department

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have to reduce staff, do it in person, not over the phone.

A waste of my time... if I could do it over again, would not have taken the job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than a year

ProsThe co-CEOS of the firm mean well. I think they really want a company like Zappos, a company they went to visit to learn how they developed a positive work environment in a corporate world.

That's about all the positive I can muster up. It was that bad.

ConsWhile the co-CEOs mean well, the problems start at the top with the Partners, all the way down to the Managers, and into the HR department.

The Partners play favorites, ignoring those they dislike or don't care about. They give you a fake smile and then talk behind your back. I think there was maybe 4-5 Partners throughout the firm that I met who actually were genuine, and really cared about their staff. The rest just use the staff to make themselves look good.

The managers in this firm were a mix of good and bad. The bad being those who were abusive to staff. Everyone, including Partners and HR, knew about the reputations of the bad managers, but nothing was ever done. Why? Because the abusive managers brown nosed the partners, and of course, they were friends with everyone in HR. They knew the right people to befriend, so they would be untouchable. Shameful how they allowed people to be treated.

The HR department is unable to keep their mouth shut, so if you have a real complaint, your best bet is to tough it out or find another job, because if you complain about them, they usually notify the offending party, and your life becomes hell then. I saw it happen to numerous people, so I knew better than to go to HR to complain about harassment.

And forget about a career here. How can you have a career when the turnover rate is ridiculous, and on top of that is the massive layoffs every 2 years (they laid off nearly 7-8% of their staff (77 people) in May, while also having another 150-200 quit or get fired after the layoff (fired separately to avoid having the layoff number be higher than it already was).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe co-CEOs mean well, but they need to walk the walk, not talk the talk. If you really want to create a place that is a place that people will want to work, you will really need to fire off like half the managers and partners.

One lesson I got out of this, if a company you're applying for spends a lot of time telling you about all the "Best Places To Work" awards they've won, don't take the job. I work for a new place who hasn't tried to pursue honors or awards recognizing their work place as a "great place" to work. Ironically, they spend their energy and time into actually making it a great place to work.

RK spent more time pursuing awards than actually implementing changes to make it a "great place" to work. One only has to look at their turnover rates, and how many people try to leave it annually. Yes, public accounting firms get high turnover rates, but RK's rate is nearly 50-75% higher than the average, and that alone should be alarming.

Macerich is a great company loaded with lots of talent throughout the company.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCool company, innovative, great benefits/culture - Macerich was very corporate but had a very unique feel to it.

ConsSome people were promoted to very senior positions extremely quickly, while other hard workers were not.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look to promote from within.

Wonderful Part Time Oppurtunity

Guest Services Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich part-time for more than a year

ProsStaff members are mostly very welcoming and helpful. The pay was decent considering the job duties. 401k was offered for part time employees.

ConsEmployee Hours are very dependent on gift card sales, sales cold calling to business's with out any commission or bonus potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a point to include Guest Services on important updates as they are the face of the company.

Politics, bureaucracy, and bad ideas.

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly stable.
Decent pay and benefits.
Reasonable with work-life balance requirements.

ConsWho you know is much more important than what you know.
Outward appearances are more important than actual results.
Career advancement is very slow.
Type A personalities (extroverts) rewarded, while Type B personalities (introverts) are ignored.
A large portion of the company is middle management, all given "Vice President" titles.
Many people in middle management seem to feel entitled to special treatment and exemption from company policies.
After the original President was pushed into retirement, it seems like poor business decisions keep being made.
No transparency in Executive-level operations after the original President left.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the office culture of "who you know vs. what you know,", if you can, and cut out the unnecessary middle management. Make time to consider the Type B people in the company who are good at what they do but don't make themselves known. Stand by your word when you say you will help your employees with career advancement. Be more open and transparent about the decisions being made regarding the company's direction.

public company with long-tenured employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

Prosyou can work there for life, if you want a stable position that doesn't really change

Consthey are not interested in doing things differently, change is very slow and new ideas are not welcomed

Real Estate company offers good work life balance

Manager IT Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAllows good work life balance and while there aren't a ton of perks but at least you can take care of things at home when you need to

ConsThe company works in silos and sometimes that adds to frustration

Worked for Macerich? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macerich reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macerich CEO Art Coppola. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Macerich employees.