Macerich

Be The First To
Add Photos

Macerich President, CEO, and Director Art Coppola

Art Coppola

A waste of my time... if I could do it over again, would not have taken the job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than a year

ProsThe co-CEOS of the firm mean well. I think they really want a company like Zappos, a company they went to visit to learn how they developed a positive work environment in a corporate world.

That's about all the positive I can muster up. It was that bad.

ConsWhile the co-CEOs mean well, the problems start at the top with the Partners, all the way down to the Managers, and into the HR department.

The Partners play favorites, ignoring those they dislike or don't care about. They give you a fake smile and then talk behind your back. I think there was maybe 4-5 Partners throughout the firm that I met who actually were genuine, and really cared about their staff. The rest just use the staff to make themselves look good.

The managers in this firm were a mix of good and bad. The bad being those who were abusive to staff. Everyone, including Partners and HR, knew about the reputations of the bad managers, but nothing was ever done. Why? Because the abusive managers brown nosed the partners, and of course, they were friends with everyone in HR. They knew the right people to befriend, so they would be untouchable. Shameful how they allowed people to be treated.

The HR department is unable to keep their mouth shut, so if you have a real complaint, your best bet is to tough it out or find another job, because if you complain about them, they usually notify the offending party, and your life becomes hell then. I saw it happen to numerous people, so I knew better than to go to HR to complain about harassment.

And forget about a career here. How can you have a career when the turnover rate is ridiculous, and on top of that is the massive layoffs every 2 years (they laid off nearly 7-8% of their staff (77 people) in May, while also having another 150-200 quit or get fired after the layoff (fired separately to avoid having the layoff number be higher than it already was).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe co-CEOs mean well, but they need to walk the walk, not talk the talk. If you really want to create a place that is a place that people will want to work, you will really need to fire off like half the managers and partners.

One lesson I got out of this, if a company you're applying for spends a lot of time telling you about all the "Best Places To Work" awards they've won, don't take the job. I work for a new place who hasn't tried to pursue honors or awards recognizing their work place as a "great place" to work. Ironically, they spend their energy and time into actually making it a great place to work.

RK spent more time pursuing awards than actually implementing changes to make it a "great place" to work. One only has to look at their turnover rates, and how many people try to leave it annually. Yes, public accounting firms get high turnover rates, but RK's rate is nearly 50-75% higher than the average, and that alone should be alarming.

Macerich not the place to be if you value job security and back stabing.

Security Manager (Former Employee)
Schenectady, NY

I worked at Macerich

ProsWhen there was a good team in place it was a great place to work.

ConsGood teams were far and few

Advice to Senior ManagementTo much micro management

Politics, bureaucracy, and bad ideas.

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly stable.
Decent pay and benefits.
Reasonable with work-life balance requirements.

ConsWho you know is much more important than what you know.
Outward appearances are more important than actual results.
Career advancement is very slow.
Type A personalities (extroverts) rewarded, while Type B personalities (introverts) are ignored.
A large portion of the company is middle management, all given "Vice President" titles.
Many people in middle management seem to feel entitled to special treatment and exemption from company policies.
After the original President was pushed into retirement, it seems like poor business decisions keep being made.
No transparency in Executive-level operations after the original President left.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the office culture of "who you know vs. what you know,", if you can, and cut out the unnecessary middle management. Make time to consider the Type B people in the company who are good at what they do but don't make themselves known. Stand by your word when you say you will help your employees with career advancement. Be more open and transparent about the decisions being made regarding the company's direction.

public company with long-tenured employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

Prosyou can work there for life, if you want a stable position that doesn't really change

Consthey are not interested in doing things differently, change is very slow and new ideas are not welcomed

Decent, but nothing special

Lease Revenue (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work time, work/life balance, good office location, respectful workplace.

ConsLack of corporate culture, most work is data-entry, creativity is not rewarded or desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementFine place to work if you want to shut off your mind for 8 hours a day. Some managers completely lack people skills, but others are fine.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Macerich

ProsMost people were good to deal with

ConsYou only advance if you kiss a managers butt, def not based on experience or qualifications

Great executive and SVP leadership at company.

Senior Manager, Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macerich

ProsStrong executive level people running the company. Most executives consider the employees their greatest asset. Conservative financial management (which is good given the current economy). Many good SVPs who have long term experience in the industry. Good benefits package.

ConsToo many personal agendas and corporate politics. Positive Company messages and agendas do not trickle down past VP level. Most talented and hardest working are not always looked at for promotion or advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure company messages are being communicated and "enforced" below the VP level. Pay attention to the talent at lower levels, particularly those who are not always in the spot light. Create better communication on sensitive issues to lower stress and non-productive behaviors.

Top heavy, but has potential.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Macerich

ProsGenerally, a positive corporate culture - there are a lot of good people that work there. Excellent benefit package.

ConsMany of the departments suffer from a top heavy organizational structure, with a staggering number of vice presidents in place shoveling out projects to the property level - most of which have little, if any, apparent relevance other than justifying the existence of their positions. Limited advancement potential for individuals in non revenue generating operational positions, as those departments tend to have a much leaner organizational structure - not to mention a constant battle to justify one's own existence through countless reports and metrics since you're not bringing in money. Often the company as a whole feels like it is managed directly out of whichever management theory book is in vogue at the moment - far too much emphasis on drilling the slogan of the moment into the collective minds of the employees versus genuinely putting into practice. Becomes Dilbert-esque after a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementThin the ranks of the meaningless VPs and AVPs.

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macerich

ProsOpportunity to learn new fields; encourages advanced career education; good at promoting from within.

ConsWay too top-heavy in senior management and understaffed in the support roles;

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of sending clear and consistent messages.

Macerich cares about you

Real Estate (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMacerich truly cares about their associates. The evaluations are just as much on how you get along with the team as how you perform number wise.

ConsSometimes hard for a type A manager to pull back and build a group mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that achieving the key performance indicators can be acheived by more than one method.

Worked for Macerich? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macerich reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macerich CEO Art Coppola. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Macerich employees.