Macerich Reviews

Art Coppola

1. No room to grow

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed working environment. There are several volunteer opportunities and philanthropic events throughout the year if you like to be involved with the community. Decent healthcare plan.

Cons

Promotion from within the company is not something that happens here. They almost always hire from outside and frown upon encouraging lower level employees wanting to move up.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the loyal and talented employees you already have working for you and promote from within.

2. Right by the Water

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Associate in Wilmington, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Associate in Wilmington, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Macerich due to the managable workload and laid back managerial approach by my superior. The atmosphere was very comfortable and I got along with all of my coworkers especially those I worked directly with. The pay and location were also favorable.

Cons

Upper management was incredibly inept and it felt that a lot of people in top positions got there due to past friendships or family connections. Despite a pleasant atmosphere one did have to look out for the occassional snitch and back stabber. There's one in every office and seemed to be more at Macerich.

Advice to Management

Keep the hard working and dedicated employees while dismissing those lazy people who milk the system and perform poorly.

3. Recptionist

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

Pros

Great place to work for! Enjoyed working everyday.

Cons

Not much room for growth

Manager, Lease Administration

Former Employee - Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some good people there.

Cons

Management sucks. They are horrible people.

Advice to Management

Next time, sell the company to Simon.

6. Good Company

I have been working at Macerich full-time

Pros

Good people working for a good company

Cons

Having their HQ in Santa Monica can be a travel challenge for many employees

Advice to Management

Keep focused on your people and company culcure

7. Mostly a good experience.

Pros

For the most part, you're can work without micro management.

Cons

Too many people trying to do the same thing.

8. Accounts Payable

I have been working at Macerich full-time

Pros

Great Team building in each department.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.

9. Good Benefits, Great Location, Terrible Culture

Former Employee - Asset Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits - health, dental, decent compensation. Great Location in Santa Monica - lots of shopping & great restaurants - places to hang out with co-workers.

Cons

Least creative, most boring job ever. Micro-managing supervisors who will hassle you over ever unimportant details. Also, an old boys club of Texas real estate buddies, with no real management or technical skills.

Advice to Management

Be more creative, in your investments, in the types of people you hire - your feeding all your resources into a dying market.

Amazing group of people who take pride in their work.

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the mall office environment. I've worked at several different locations and loved my coworkers at each one. Lots of autonomy to do what the team believes is best. Very exciting work environment, never live the same day twice. In the past, the company was willing to make significant investments in employee growth.

Cons

Too much time spent talking about what we're going to do and not enough time spent actually executing plans. A lot of meetings, conference calls and reporting that don't generate results. Too many cooks in the kitchen with conflicting opinions leaving field level employees with lack of clear direction. Constant demand to do more with less compromises our standards. Focus has moved entirely to driving income and reducing expenses at all levels.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are more productive, it's time to take a look at how employees really feel about the current work environment and make changes accordingly. Tenured employees are committed to our company and, sadly, will give until we can give no more. Look at the number of employees who are maxed out on vacation... You know how a dog will be so loyal to its master, it will literally die trying?

11. Great Company, Terrible Managers

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful values, nice office, great co workers, great mission statement. Holiday parties are nice.

Cons

Supporting 3+ people at a time is too overwhelming, felt more like a personal assistant at times than an admin. There are too many egos and personalities to handle for one person. I think some of the people don't realize that this isn't vogue or glamour magazine they're working for, it's property management. One mistake, and they're quick to write you off and make you feel like garbage. Micro managing doesn't exist and if you ask a question, you get lectured. Upper management should have their own Personal/Admin assistant. They act like they're way too above to do certain things for themselves. I had to get out because I was tired of feeling low and afraid to attend work.

Advice to Management

You all should have one assistant or realize how much of a workload you put on them. Understand that they try as hard as possible but when you ignore the person that helps you, it becomes less encouraging which leads to a new job search.

RSS Feed </> Embed