Macfadden

Macfadden Reviews

Updated Mar 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

The management was very good and very friendly. I like the people working

Environmental Data Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsJust like I said I am very satisfied to work in this company

ConsI like being in the company and enjoyed working

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Task Manager

Task Manager (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsVery good Company, very friendly people.

ConsEvery 4 years to renew the contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing much to advice . I was very please to work for this company until the management changed to another company that I lost my job.

It was ok

Environmental Data Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood benefits, compressed work schedules

ConsPay was really low, no room for advancement, work is not very challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should create more challenging oportunities or do more to show employee appreciation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible work environment

Program Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsLocated in the heart of DC next to many facilities

ConsAs stated before, this company has a high turn over rate and is extremely client oriented. This is the most immoral place I've worked for, with no one looking out for your future. Do yourself a favor and don't think twice about working here. Horrible atmosphere with people in managerial positions who don't know a thing about managing a staff.

It was fine

Consultant (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsPeople were nice and personable. My pervious manager gave me the freedom to perform better.

ConsSalary was at the low end; missing long term development and no bench time or reassignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and effort on client management to sustain the accounts. Invest in you employees

Macfadden

Environmental Data Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey have nice staff, and working with them is a good experience.

ConsThe health plan is not that great and their flex spending plan is only $2500 which is not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer management courses for your employees to advance to and change the flex spending cap.

Mismanaged company, a joke of a leadership team.

ProsClose to a metro station.

ConsOne of the most unethical companies I've ever worked for. Do yourself a favor and do not consider interviewing or taking a job here. I am on my way out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe executive team and senior leadership are barely keeping their heads above water with their lack of knowledge of how to run a company let alone manage personnel. The turnover rate is abhorrently high--a lot of hardworking and smart individuals have left on their own accord due to the extreme lack of accountability here and "pointing fingers" mentality. It is a door-shut and whispers-in-the-hallway culture that breeds insecurity.

Decent USAID Institutional Contractor

Information Specialist/Officer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMacfadden provides decent benefits. The work is often interesting with lots of opportunities to travel under the USAID/OFDA contract and work on a variety of humanitarian responses. The staff at USAID/OFDA are very engaging and friendly people (as an information officer, I have more working contact with USAID/OFDA staff than with staff from Macfadden).

ConsDisorganized and often unresponsive HR.

For information specialist position: Long hours under the USAID/OFDA contract. Not much forewarning for deployments overseas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush back on unreasonable demands from USAID. The current mantra is "please the client" (i.e. USAID), even when staff are burned out, resulting in high turn-over.

Provide overtime compensation across the board for people working under the USAID/OFDA contract.

Great place to get started professionally, but those seeking to grow may eventually need to move on to greener pastures.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsVery client-driven, so very client-dependent job. If your client is awesome, your job can also be awesome. Growing, improving company.

ConsDon't expect a lot of corporate reach-back. Good if you like being of the client mind, but bad if you have ideas about how to improve services or grow your operating unit.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on organic growth potential rather than always looking for the big contract wins.

reputable government contractor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEnergetic atmosphere. They know how to interface successfully with government clients. I would take a position with them in the future if the right position opened up.

ConsI found very few opportunities for career advancement. I was pigeon-holed as a tech kind of asset and that became the extent of my expected contribution

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to cultivate expectations for growth from your employees... especially the younger ones. Encourage that growth even if it is beyond what that employee consistently does well.

Worked for Macfadden? Contribute to the Community!