Mack Trucks

Add Photos

Mack Trucks CEO Denny Slagle

Denny Slagle

Great Intern Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCould work early or late in 8 hour shifts. Opportunities to learn in different departments. Workers are eager to share what they know. Opportunity to make the manufacturing process easier and more streamlined.

ConsThe workers are in a union, which halts progress and makes new development difficult. The warehouse is very hot during the summer.

Recently switched upper management. Leads to a lot of changes.

Terrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe operators were the best part, smart people who are dedicated and painfully underutilized

ConsHuman Resources and Upper Management. Hostile work environment.

decent place to get experience

Management (Current Employee) Macungie, PA

Prosgood pay
    exciting product to manufacture
    hard working, dedicated employees

Cons-upper management does not get along; lacking strong leadership-- there's always another dept to blame
    -despite being a part of a global company, mobility within the volvo group is limited. even within the plant itself, most people have been in the same role or dept. for 3 or more years- employees are not encouraged to grow by getting exposure to other areas of the business.
    -senior union employees have a strong influence over management. Creating work standards and enforcing discipline is extremely hard- even for simple things like absenteeism, drug/alchohol violations—it’s very hard to fire a union employee which is sad when there are a lot of good people out there who want jobs. some employees in the union seem to take their good job for granted.
    -lack of investment in the plant and IT systems makes improving and competitng in the 21st centruy a challenge

Advice to Senior Managementget along, present a vision, lead, enforce and encourage good behavior

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of heart and soul in employees, serious lacking in management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Macungie, PA

ProsGood pay and benefits, employees who want to succeed. Some leadership has vision for improvement but methods are incredibly inconsistent.

ConsLeadership is rife with unethical practices, particularly in HR. Inconsistent strategy and goals create confusion and the relationship with the union union is terrible. There is no perceived or actual value for the employee in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone knows you are scared to fail, and scrambling to regain market share, but destroying people that work for you to get there will not work. Turnover is way higher than it should be, and your lack of integrity is glaring, as everyone sees the gap between the message and how things really operate.

Big company, big benefits, big headaches.

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsExcellent benefits, pay, and vacation. The company will provide you the training and tools you need to get the job done. It's enjoyable to see the product you work on rolling down the road. It's one of the few companies that still make products in the US. Most of your co-workers are good people.

ConsToo much control from the parent company, Volvo AB, very few Americans in leadership. The size of the company lends itself to extensive bureaucracy, processes, and politics. You have to be part of the "in crowd" to be promoted to management. The company does not value an engineer's experience, opinion, or talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to develop and retain engineers. Rely less on Project Management. Streamline processes.

Its a great place to work if you like big trucks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsIts a large successful company that offers good benefits and competitive wages. The rural and suburban area is very beautiful and we are close to DC/Baltimore metropolitan.

ConsIn a large company you can sometimes feel like a number and that you don't matter much. You have to be patient as things can move a lot slower in a large organization

Advice to Senior ManagementThe different entities need to be on the same page and leave their hidden objectives behind them for the good of the company. Use common sense and listen to the people at all levels of the organization and not just the people the speak the loudest.

There are many kind employees to work with plus has a pleasant work environment

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsMany proud, knowledgeable, and professional employees to work with.

ConsIt is a competitive work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport team work and provide leadership and direction to all employees.

Not bad, not great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsExciting product and field to work in, comprehensive benefits packages

ConsInconsistent direction from upper management, burdensome "matrix" management, poor interdepartmental communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom near the bottom looking up, it would be nice to see more detail in management announcements. We often hear of a new strategy or goal of some sort, but no details on what the plan is to accomplish that. As an entry level employee, I want to contribute to the success of my company, but get very little direction on what I can do, while my own ideas generally don't get an audience because of my position.

They are "Going Steady With A Memory" Riding the waves of days gone by

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsExcellant Product in select vocational fields

ConsManagement is a rebirth of the "Good Old Boy Society" Promotions are granted on the basis of relationships rather than merit. Lack of a basic understanding of the industry by Senior Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention to the job at hand, less attention on personal gain

Good first job, wouldn't want to stay there.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsThe experience. There were some nice people.

ConsDon't go anywhere. Feel like you're doing circles.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow like you care.

Worked for Mack Trucks? Contribute to the Community!