Mackin Educational Resources

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.0

Randal Heise

Slow progression in technology and market trends.

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

Coworkers were friendly, supportive and great to work with. There was a true team spirit in my department where everyone was available to help where they can when things got backed up. Small company which gave opportunity for individuals to wear multiple hats and pick up different skills; a good place to gain work experience.

Cons

Technology is behind and changes were slow to get implemented. Too much focus on insignificant details which prohibited work to get done in a timely manner. Not much room for career growth and advancement. If looking to stay competitive in technology and market trends, this place has the potential with their staff but is being held back by company veterans and their resistance to changing their 'old ways'.

Trust the staff and welcome team members to contribute their skills and fresh ideas to the company. Let them be the experts in their field, give them ownership of their work and entrust that philosophy on senior staff members.

Time to find a new job!

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Not usually a big deal to get time off. Having a hard time coming up with a 20 word minimum on the PROS of working here.

Cons

Very low pay. Everyone gets a raise, or no one gets one. Raises are based upon how well the company is doing and not an individual's job performance. Not everyone is treated equal. A lot of spying and talking behind employees backs. They like to accuse you of something before knowing the facts and it is up to you to prove your innocence. HR department is very biased and gives certain people within the company permission to do whatever they want. Certain department managers will go out of their way to stick their noses into other departments. Rules don't apply to everyone. Certain department managers will run to HR dept. with complaints about individuals while breaking the same rules themselves and nothing is done about it. Certain department managers like to think they have their own personal parking spot and will throw a fit if anyone parks there. Employees are not allowed to walk through certain departments because of distracting their workers. If you are seen going out to the parking lot at any time, you will be accused of doing so while still on the clock.

Grow with the company. Quit paying people what would've been considered a decent wage back in 1985 and realize that your employees need more than that to live off. Don't let the HR department make all your decisions. Have some faith and trust in your employees before you lose them. Instead of the all or none approach on raises, start giving them based on an individual's job performance, otherwise it's not fair that even employees that aren't pulling their weight are getting the same reward. I've been with the company over 12 years and I would love to see some proof that you care about your employees, not just some of them....ALL OF THEM!

Problems start at the top and there are tons of problems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

Good service, nice staff, good location.

Cons

No communication. No trust. Blink and you worry about getting fired. Blink and you worry someone will tell on you for using your cell phone on your break time. Blink and you worry you'll get scolded for just walking through the check-in department.

You should have retired years ago when you really wanted to. You're not doing your customers or staff any good by doing your job half-heartedly and always with a micro-mangement eye only on the bottom line. Sweating every penny and slave-driving every "on the clock" second has cost you $$$Millions.

Undervalued, Underpaid, and Treated Like a Child

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, time off requests rarely denied

Cons

Pay is insufficient, supervisors are often disrespectful to employees for no good reason, no opportunity for growth or pay increase if you're female, blatant gender discrimination, huge disparities in pay for people hired at the same time for the exact same position, no opportunity for professional development, poor job security (people often disappear without explanation and are never seen or mentioned again), management spies on employees and treats them like children, lack of respect for anything that does not reflect a white, heterosexual, English speaking, Christian point of view.

Learn to recognize, respect, and appreciate the knowledge and talents of your employees and pay them a living wage.

Mackin is a family friendly company.

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

Friendly people. Flexible hours. Convenient location. Fairly modern facility. Weekends off. Most co-workers are truly team players that want to get the job done.

Cons

Communication is a little lacking. Problems are a bit slow to be addressed.

Find ways to improve communication within the company, maybe a regular newsletter or email. Trust your workers, most really are trying to do a good job for you.

Worst place I've ever worked.

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and working arrangements for some people. A couple of times a year, there is a company "party." I'm hard pressed to come up with the 20 word minimum here.

Cons

The pay is mediocre, no way to advance, management spies on people, employees are treated like naughty children, no cell phones out, no personal nothing, no chatting, no looking at the books (that we're supposed to sell). Worst thing: I've seen several good employees canned in ways that involved some serious strategy. For no good reason.

You are lunatics. Stop it.

I hope that this review will make a difference to potential employees.

Former Employee - Processor in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Processor in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Centrally located for south metro residents. Very flexible hours for workers. I made some very strong and long lasting friendships.

Cons

When hired I was not introduced to fellow employees. It was a sink or swim attitude every day for the two years I worked there. Many times had to work in other departments with little or no training. You wouldn't dare ask a question because then you are 'watched' The 'watching' continues until you can't take it anymore. It is not a positive work environment. I did not miss working there when I quit, It was a relief, though I did miss my co workers.

Ease up on the 'spy networking' within the company. As an employee you should want to come to work and tell others to work there too.

Happy with my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Passionate colleagues : everyone works hard to "do the right thing" by the customer.
    -Casual work environment : jeans are acceptable
    -Highly rewarding when working with appreciative customers (almost all of them are)
    -Quick paced creative problem-solving is intellectually stimulating

Cons

-Not a great system for internal communications, so sometimes messages don't get relayed or work may get duplicated.
    -IT team is stretched thin, so system improvement requests don't happen quickly

Fail - Happy with my job

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources full-time

Pros

Not many pros anymore. Most of the lower staff are nice to work with. Many of the middle management team have good intentions for staff and company, but no proper tools or communication to do the job they want to do.

Cons

No communication. Outdated IT from overworked IT. Lower staff are treated like disposable parts and intimidated if they suggest improvements. Middle Management are neutered, scapegoats, responsible for all of the day-to-day without any support, communication, job security, respect or trust. Upper Management are in a bubble of denial.

Don't post "anonymous" 5 star reviews the same day you post propaganda pictures on Glass door. In 2012, the owners pulled a Scrooge and didn't have a holiday party.

You just had an anniversary write-up in a trade mag, but did nothing to celebrate the employees who have kept you in business so long.

Your actions toward employees don't match your words or Christian values. If you want to turn the company around start with a hard look in the mirror.

Once family friendly company that lost its way.

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

Pros

Good product. Good staff. Good customers. The original company mission was to help put books in kids hands and make it easier for educators to spend more time with students.

Cons

Serious growing pains. The owners lost the family feel and heart as they allowed more "corporate policy" to stand in the way of any communication, feedback or honest dialog.

Look at the consistent results from your best people, instead of focusing on the squeaky wheels who don't have the companies best interest at heart. Talk to the low level employees. They know what's really causing your problems.

Mackin Educational Resources Photos