Mackin Educational Resources
www.mackin.com Burnsville, MN 150 to 499 Employees

Mackin Educational Resources Reviews

Updated Feb 20, 2014

Randal Heise

Mackin is a family friendly company.

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources

ProsFriendly people. Flexible hours. Convenient location. Fairly modern facility. Weekends off. Most co-workers are truly team players that want to get the job done.

ConsCommunication is a little lacking. Problems are a bit slow to be addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to improve communication within the company, maybe a regular newsletter or email. Trust your workers, most really are trying to do a good job for you.

Worst place I've ever worked.

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and working arrangements for some people. A couple of times a year, there is a company "party." I'm hard pressed to come up with the 20 word minimum here.

ConsThe pay is mediocre, no way to advance, management spies on people, employees are treated like naughty children, no cell phones out, no personal nothing, no chatting, no looking at the books (that we're supposed to sell). Worst thing: I've seen several good employees canned in ways that involved some serious strategy. For no good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are lunatics. Stop it.

I hope that this review will make a difference to potential employees.

Processor (Former Employee)

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources part-time for more than a year

ProsCentrally located for south metro residents. Very flexible hours for workers. I made some very strong and long lasting friendships.

ConsWhen hired I was not introduced to fellow employees. It was a sink or swim attitude every day for the two years I worked there. Many times had to work in other departments with little or no training. You wouldn't dare ask a question because then you are 'watched' The 'watching' continues until you can't take it anymore. It is not a positive work environment. I did not miss working there when I quit, It was a relief, though I did miss my co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the 'spy networking' within the company. As an employee you should want to come to work and tell others to work there too.

Happy with my job.

Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Passionate colleagues : everyone works hard to "do the right thing" by the customer.
-Casual work environment : jeans are acceptable
-Highly rewarding when working with appreciative customers (almost all of them are)
-Quick paced creative problem-solving is intellectually stimulating

Cons-Not a great system for internal communications, so sometimes messages don't get relayed or work may get duplicated.
-IT team is stretched thin, so system improvement requests don't happen quickly

Fail - Happy with my job

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources full-time

ProsNot many pros anymore. Most of the lower staff are nice to work with. Many of the middle management team have good intentions for staff and company, but no proper tools or communication to do the job they want to do.

ConsNo communication. Outdated IT from overworked IT. Lower staff are treated like disposable parts and intimidated if they suggest improvements. Middle Management are neutered, scapegoats, responsible for all of the day-to-day without any support, communication, job security, respect or trust. Upper Management are in a bubble of denial.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't post "anonymous" 5 star reviews the same day you post propaganda pictures on Glass door. In 2012, the owners pulled a Scrooge and didn't have a holiday party.

You just had an anniversary write-up in a trade mag, but did nothing to celebrate the employees who have kept you in business so long.

Your actions toward employees don't match your words or Christian values. If you want to turn the company around start with a hard look in the mirror.

Run away, fast!

Prosbest part is checking out the new books in if it is part of your job. It feels great to leave and never go back!

ConsI wish there were more reviews up at the time I was offered a job here, because I could have avoided this sad, sad, place. Please do not work here. The other reviews are all true, it will suck the life out of you, you are treated as second class, the owners are prejudice, you are micromanaged and watched and there is a lot of tattling, and dysfunctional people that are very rude. On the plus side, the future of the company does not look good, they are laying people off and citing financial problems as the reason. Unless, this is a lie and what they wanted to do was to lay off those who make the most and later on hirer on people for half of what they were paying the others. Which is what I believe they are doing. Or on the plus side, maybe they'll just go out of business. Do not work here.

Once family friendly company that lost its way.

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources

ProsGood product. Good staff. Good customers. The original company mission was to help put books in kids hands and make it easier for educators to spend more time with students.

ConsSerious growing pains. The owners lost the family feel and heart as they allowed more "corporate policy" to stand in the way of any communication, feedback or honest dialog.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the consistent results from your best people, instead of focusing on the squeaky wheels who don't have the companies best interest at heart. Talk to the low level employees. They know what's really causing your problems.

I'm very disappointed and expected more

Professional (Current Employee)
Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources part-time for less than a year

ProsThe work I do is just fine. Somewhat flexible hours, lighting is fine, the break room is clean. The location of the building is good for commuter because it is close to 35W and on a bus route.

ConsWhat is bad about Mackin is the temperament of some employees and the dysfunctional environment. I expected better interpersonal skills and expected all people treat each other with respect and dignity. I am mostly shocked by the behavior of a few people who manage to upset and yell at many people. I do not feel HR is supportive to employees who find the workplace environment unacceptable.

Here is the best example of what Mackin is like.
I often feel "on guard" when entering and exiting the building because I fear being scolded for not walking in the "correct" area of the building. It is hard to explain because the situation is so strange. Basically, one department does not like it when other people walk past them. The head of this department has full support of HR in making everyone else in the building walk out of their way in order to not walk past this one department. I and others in my department have been scolded, disrespected and condescended from the head of this department because we walked past them. If you walk by and others see you, you get tattled on.

I dread walking into the building each morning. I sometimes enter through a different door, a door I'm not supposed to enter the building through, in order to avoid these people. But then I am afraid of getting a similar reaction from someone else on that side of the building. I have never been in such a strange situation in my life. Once I make it to my cubicle and turn on my headphones, my job is fine. But when I'm walking about the building I feel paranoid someone is going to scold me for not walking the preferred path from A to B. This is very much the reality, this is not exaggerated.

HR explained to me that "it is distracting to walk by another person while they are working, because then that person looks up." This bizarre environment is created because someone may look up from there work for a few seconds, a few seconds loss of productivity.

I'm very disappointed the owners for creating and supporting such an environment and I do not think it is morally right.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are creating a safe and supportive encironment and make sure all people are paid equally. Be open to the advice you get.

Degrading for Professionals

I worked at Mackin Educational Resources full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work schedule. Nice, clean break room. And when you leave, you will feel a happiness you never thought possible.

ConsEveryone is treated like they are untrustworthy teenagers who are to be seen working at all times and not heard. The owner of the company would lurk behind cubicles, spying on employees to make sure we were working. We had to clock in and out so every minute working was accounted for. As a professional, I felt degraded to work in a place that did not encourage creativity or ideas. You are treated like another "cog in the wheel." In fact, that is what we were often called and that is how we felt - easily replaceable and worthless.Women were consistently paid less than their male coworkers who performed the same work, even if the male was hired several years after the female started. We weren't allowed to discuss our salaries and quickly figured out why when we actually discussed how much we were making.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees like human beings. If you trust them to be the professional adults they are, then everyone will be much happier. If you treat people like children, they respond in kind. Start paying employees a living wage and stop paying male employees more. Perhaps if you put more effort into really caring about the people who work for you, more would actually stay and you wouldn't have to train in so many new workers every year.

Do your job well, and you will be rewarded.

Processor (But Now More) (Current Employee)
Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Mackin Educational Resources full-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible in scheduling to accommodate your schooling or second job hours. Work hard and do it well and you will likely move up to higher positions within the company. I have seen this happen to numerous individuals within the organization despite myself and others having not worked for the company for even a year. The people at Mackin are nice. Treat them respectfully and you will be treated the same. Also, the company is doing very well.

ConsSome tasks are very monotonous and/or tedious. Monetary compensation merely adequate. You are probably unlikely to find your dream job unless you _love_ books.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any complaints, but I know others who would like to be listened to, even if they have not been with the company long. People like to know where they stand.

Worked for Mackin Educational Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mackin Educational Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mackin Educational Resources CEO Randal Heise. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Mackin Educational Resources employees.