Macmillan Cancer Support

Updated Nov 24, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ciarán Devane

Great to get hands on experience and a real insight into the charity sector- if only they paid their interns!

World's Biggest Coffee Morning Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat training opportunities- would do anything to help their interns gain knowledge and understanding in a given area
Able to get your hands dirty and do things that you find interesting, my supervisor was very clear that I wasn't there to be the teams admin assistant. This means that I have been able to do anything that I have thought might be useful and use my personal judgement- they are really keen to know my ideas and opinions.
I am left to do things on my own if I feel I can but they are still there to support me if I need

ConsThe IT situation is not ideal, limited training in using the portal, been on the phone to numerous IT technicians to try and help me and they are still unable to resolve my issues
The internship is not paid- I know this is a charity so this is not surprising but it would be nice- I still really enjoy it- it's just not that good for the bank balance
I work from home and meet the team in Coffee shops- it can sometimes be a bit tricky working from home and not being able to pop into your managers office for a chat but this might just be me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the IT sorted

Great company, just don't work in the IT department

Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time for less than a year

ProsFabulous company, great team spirit, very satisfying to know you are helping people affected by cancer. Some great colleagues with a good attitude. Inspirational chief exec.

ConsWorking on the IT ServiceDesk is such a chaotic, demoralising experience. A real lack of standard processes and procedures, which leads to a poor quality of customer service, meaning low level of job satisfaction. We work very hard and try our best, but are thwarted at every turn by not having standards and proper processes. Also, unpleasant cramped, dated, badly-lit offices in London. Queuing for the lifts to a high floor in this busy building can make you late for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have such fantastic people working for you. Please invest in training them, and concentrate on defining and standardising processes and procedures for the ServiceDesk team.

Financial volunteer

Financial Volunteer (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support as an intern for more than a year

Prosvery nice and helpful team,
good to get some office experience while being still at university

Consrepetitive tasks no any other found

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best, Friendly place to work

Service Desk (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support

ProsBeyond expectations, the atmosphere is relaxed

ConsSuitable for anyone, best place to work in

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for Macmillan Cancer Support? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macmillan Cancer Support reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macmillan Cancer Support CEO CiarĂ¡n Devane . All reviews posted anonymously by Macmillan Cancer Support employees.