Macmillan Cancer Support

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
4.1

CiarĂ¡n Devane

Great to get hands on experience and a real insight into the charity sector- if only they paid their interns!

Current Employee - World's Biggest Coffee Morning Intern
    Current Employee - World's Biggest Coffee Morning Intern

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great training opportunities- would do anything to help their interns gain knowledge and understanding in a given area
    Able to get your hands dirty and do things that you find interesting, my supervisor was very clear that I wasn't there to be the teams admin assistant. This means that I have been able to do anything that I have thought might be useful and use my personal judgement- they are really keen to know my ideas and opinions.
    I am left to do things on my own if I feel I can but they are still there to support me if I need

Cons

The IT situation is not ideal, limited training in using the portal, been on the phone to numerous IT technicians to try and help me and they are still unable to resolve my issues
    The internship is not paid- I know this is a charity so this is not surprising but it would be nice- I still really enjoy it- it's just not that good for the bank balance
    I work from home and meet the team in Coffee shops- it can sometimes be a bit tricky working from home and not being able to pop into your managers office for a chat but this might just be me.

Get the IT sorted

Lovely people, not a great working environment

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's very sociable, and there's quite a lot of effort made by management to have good internal comms, help people with their learning and development etc

Cons

The office block is overcrowded and uncomfortable to work with - IT is dated. I'm not even going to mention the lift situation!

Great company, just don't work in the IT department

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fabulous company, great team spirit, very satisfying to know you are helping people affected by cancer. Some great colleagues with a good attitude. Inspirational chief exec.

Cons

Working on the IT ServiceDesk is such a chaotic, demoralising experience. A real lack of standard processes and procedures, which leads to a poor quality of customer service, meaning low level of job satisfaction. We work very hard and try our best, but are thwarted at every turn by not having standards and proper processes. Also, unpleasant cramped, dated, badly-lit offices in London. Queuing for the lifts to a high floor in this busy building can make you late for work.

You have such fantastic people working for you. Please invest in training them, and concentrate on defining and standardising processes and procedures for the ServiceDesk team.

Financial volunteer

Former Employee - Financial Volunteer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Financial Volunteer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

very nice and helpful team,
    good to get some office experience while being still at university

Cons

repetitive tasks no any other found

The best, Friendly place to work

Current Employee - Service Desk in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Desk in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Macmillan Cancer Support

Pros

Beyond expectations, the atmosphere is relaxed

Cons

Suitable for anyone, best place to work in

Keep it up