Macmillan Publishers

Be The First To
Add Photos

Macmillan Publishers CEO Annette Thomas

Annette Thomas

Pros
  • Inclusiveness Openness Intellectual Smart Innovative - work life balance(in 3 reviews)

• Nice and friendly people, supportive work environment, very little pressure, good on working hours for women, flexible on home working(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor pay, incompetent and ignorant leadership, decision making based on covering leaderships mistakes and not what's best for the company(in 3 reviews)

• Low Pay, Doesn't guarantee further employment(in 3 reviews)

Overall - a good experience

Marketing Director (Current Employee)

ProsHardworking, friendly people throughout the various imprints. Provides training to existing staff to keep up with the digital revolution. Decent bonuses when profits are up.

ConsSalaries are among the lowest in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries, fix the bathrooms, and update meeting room furniture and AV equipment.

Book publisher struggling to produce digital products and technology

ProsI've worked with great people over the years. They provide decent benefits. The industry, while changing in a way that challenges publishers like Macmillan, is an exciting one.

ConsVery top-down approach to running things. Because of the structure of the whole Macmillan company, the technology group is very separate from the rest of the business, and has historically performed very poorly. Salary is not great and has been stagnant (1.5% raises the last several years)

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch expectations and rhetoric with the reality that everyone sees.

Publisher's sale representative

sales rep (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsThe culture is second to none. Understanding manager that want to coach/ mentor their reps. Supportive team environment.

ConsTechnology issues but that is it. Nothing else negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet up the good work! The managers at my current employer could learn a lot from you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great second or third internship

Editorial Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThrown directly into real work, not merely filing or mailing (though that is a part of the job.)
    Very friendly staff — if you can get them to spare a few minutes to chat (somewhat difficult, as everyone is usually very busy).
    Opportunities to go to 'book fairs' and parties, and my editors took me out for lunch a few times
    Paid internship at above the minimum wage! In publishing, no less!

ConsNo real training or education on industry trends.
    You can't directly apply to particular imprints through the internship application, and you may not like/feel passionate about the job you get selected to interview for. (That said, if you know someone, you can bypass the corporate application process and submit your resume/cover letter directly; if you work for a semester with Macmillan, your editor will likely be willing to put you in touch with an editor in the department in which you'd like to work.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little more time tutoring interns

Restructure was necessary but same bad leadership survived

An Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice co-workers, nice neighborhood good health benefits. Flexible vacation time.

ConsPoor pay, incompetent and ignorant leadership, decision making based on covering leaderships mistakes and not what's best for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't drag things out, business is business and if you come to your decisions quickly and in a clean manner people will not care if you "could have done it better". Instead you foster a false sense of hope that people will survive (though non-communication, fake rhetoric or repeating coined terms) which makes layoffs even worse. Anyone who can read a business book could run a company but only the smart ones earn respect. All of you have lost respect from the entire company but they will never tell you the truth to your faces. The ones you kept in upper management are just as unproven as the ones you let go. If you really want to do well, you should make a better effort to really understand what your customers want and not what your hired goons tell you is good.

Continuous Layoffs at Macmillan

Programmer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNYC office is in a great location.

ConsYou won't be there forever. Macmillan's sales force (which control the direction of the company) WANT to sell paper books (not internet based learning tools for a modern world). They do not care about the students (their customers).

I know it sounds like I'm bitching - but Macmillan's market share is down to 5%. Hopefully they'll turn this around - but it may already be too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare, or don't, none of us (you included) will be there long enough to help this company turn around.

Good benefits and people to work with. Management does limit mobility and isn't very supportive of the employee.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMajor publisher of all type of books, online materials and curriculum products. They pay well.

ConsNot open to moving people up the ladder or to other offices. HR is pretty non-existent. Upper management is not open or available either.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow good people to move Internationally from US to London

Macmillan has gone from good to bad.

ProsMost of the people are fun to work with and want to contribute to the educational enterprise.

ConsThe culture has changed for the worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with high level messaging. Start focusing on correcting the turmoil you have brought upon the rank and file in the past year. The previous leaders may not have lived up to your expectations but there is little that you are doing to right the company for the medium/long term. You are ignoring the culture of the workplace and your workers are adrift because all trust has been lost. Start rebuilding the trust with the amount of energy and zeal you have been spending on fixing the "profitability" issue.

Excellent authors and beautiful books. remote, and out of touch leadership

Editorial (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proswonderful authors
    great colleagues: interesting people all interested in making the best books possible
    highly committed book teams

Consweak and decentralized leadership
    lack of clear messages about company direction
    behind in media development
    over worked staff
    poor internal communications

Great place to start out, but no a lot of long term planning

ProsVery friendly and accepting team that creates a wonderful work environment
    Good work is noticed and appreciated

ConsCompensation is not equivalent to work expectations
    Re-organization is not done with short term and long term goals properly accounted for

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication, if need be over-communicate.

Worked for Macmillan Publishers? Contribute to the Community!