Macomb Community College

Macomb Community College Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Easy, minimal effort job for a serious student

Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee)
Macomb, MI

I worked at Macomb Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsThe position had a lot of down time which I could use to do homework. As a result, it's a great student position to use for studying and completing assignments while earning some money on the side. The faculty and supervisors are generally laid back and understanding.

ConsThe amount of downtime to actual work is crazy. If you don't have other things to do, you have to find ways to fill the time.

People are great/ upper management is hard on part time employees

I have been working at Macomb Community College part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly staff, helping the students is a plus, learn alot

ConsNot a good place to work if your a part time employee.
Union is very bad

Really fun, but sometimes challenging, dead-end job.

Tutor (Current Employee)
Clinton Township, MI

I have been working at Macomb Community College part-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get to work with lots of different people/students every day. The college is great with scheduling and working around your home life or other job. Provides good experience for resume.

ConsThis job doesn't lead anywhere. There aren't any incentives to stick around.

Tutor

Tutor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macomb Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsSchedule flexibility, very team-oriented environment, free-time.

ConsLow wage, too many subjects to tutor, students seem to know absolutely nothing, and expect you to teach them the entire lesson.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the amount of subjects that a tutor can tutor. Every math,physics,chemistry is too much for one person to remember. You can only remember so much.

Good place to earn entry level tutoring experience

Foreign Language Tutor (Former Employee)

I worked at Macomb Community College part-time for less than a year

ProsGive you a chance to get tutoring jobs with no previous experience provided that you know the material very well and can provide a letter of recommendation. Next to no supervision so you can pretty much run the tutoring session as you see fit. Very enjoyable work. Easy to do in addition to another job/school. Looks good on a resume.

ConsVery few hours. You may only be scheduled one hour a week. You would do this job because you enjoy teaching the material, not because you need it to pay the bills.

Excellent opprtunity to develop as an instructor

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macomb Community College

ProsGood atmosphere, good constructive feedback, flexible schedule, excellent technology

Conslow pay, no benefits, little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more opportunity for advancement to full time status or increase allowable teaching hours for part time instructors

Average jobs, but poor management and insulting wage for part time employees

Computer Support Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macomb Community College

ProsMCC (Macomb Community College) is a convenient place to work, at either campus, since it's located off of easily accessible highways, and have nice looking campuses. There is tasty and moderately inexpensive dining on campus (available during the fall and winter semesters), and an abundance of water fountains and bathrooms available. Many of the people who work for the organization are pleasant, and taking time off isn't often a problem (this may depend on the particular area of coverage). The colleges are also in close proximity of several fast-food options for lunch, and for a lot of people it's convenient to take classes (extremely affordable classes) at night after working during the day.

ConsTo put it lightly, part-time employee compensation is insulting. There are several different "levels" of wage for part time employees, which correspond to the job role. For example, a computer technician may be a level three, while a library clerk may be a level two. This is mandated by the union that is in place, which despite claims about protecting employees and offering great benefit, have wages for a level three (the top "normal" tier of worker) starting around $10/hr after 90 days, capping out at ~$14 after eight years of service (not including the 2.5% annual increase per pay grade). This can be contrasted with a level one worker earning a paltry ~$7.75 after their 90 days. Additionally, the annual raises begin on July 1st, and if you haven't reached your one-year at that date, you'll have to wait until the NEXT July 1st to begin receiving your annual raise. So, for example, if you were hired in August you won't receive your "annual" raise until you've worked for 23 months.

Benefits are essentially non-existent. On July 1st of the year if you've come to a full year of service you will begin to accrue time off at 1% of what you work, which given a 30 hour a week maximum, you'll have a little more than two days off. Of course, just like the pay raises, if your start date was after July 1st, you'll need to wait another year to begin accruing time off. Over time, this grows to 1.5% for years 3-6 and 2% for 6+. The only insurance option to buy in to is an offer for 1% off of Metlife. There are a few discount offers through the union, the best of which is a 15% AT&T contract discount. There are a multitude of holidays and days off, but for part time workers this isn't a vacation day as much as it's a "don't bother coming in because we're not paying you" day; part time workers do not get any kind of vacation pay for holidays, regardless of whether it's a day like Memorial day, or Christmas.

Management in my department doesn't manage much at all. There is little, if any leadership, and the opportunity to move up to a full time position is wholly dependent on either someone quitting or dieing, provided that a position isn't eliminated to save on payroll. Please bear in mind that this may be different based on your department. The full time positions pay very well (too well, in my opinion) and offer good benefits as far as I can tell, but with financial hardships for the college and a lack of government funding (and an increase in attendance) there is a constant need to save money and eliminate positions. Additionally, there is a move to make more positions part time, thus saving the college money. In fact, in a recent "state of the college" address, the president proudly displayed on his Powerpoint presentation that less than ONE THIRD of the employees at the college are full time. This is ironic, given the fact that many managers and administrators are more than happy to request expensive equipment and room changes, such as unnecessary computer hardware and printers, expensive software, and electrical/network installations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the useless union, and offer a fair wage to employees. The work is what it is; a computer repair guy won't repair computers any differently here than at a large company, but the lack of competitive wage and upward mobility mean that employees have little, if any incentive to stick around for the long term. This means high turnover, and workers who aren't as skilled or motivated. The pay scales for part time employees are on-par with McDonald's, which isn't saying very much with the maximum 30 hour per week allowance.

Assistant

Purchasing (Former Employee)
Grosse Pointe, MI

I worked at Macomb Community College

ProsDiscount on tuition. Flexible with other work schedule or classes. Reasonable pay and days requested off were mostly honored if within reason.

ConsNo possibility for growth since this was a part time position. Management was not organized and was often on vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors should be able to work with the rest of the staff effectively and have greater ability to communicate effectively to ensure all operations are running smoothly.

A great employer.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Macomb Community College

ProsThe past president, Al Lorenzo, made the college a great place to work. He had an open door policy and listened to his employees.

ConsHuman resources should be up to date on college and state policies that affect the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe like Al Lorenzo.

No Opportunities

I have been working at Macomb Community College

ProsConsidering the economy in the area, employment is relatively stable.

ConsUnless you are female there is little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementThe college depends on part time employees, but there is little respect for part timers based on compensation and benefits.

Worked for Macomb Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macomb Community College reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Macomb Community College employees.