Macquarie Group

Macquarie Group Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Nicholas W. Moore

Nicholas W. Moore

Pros:
  • "You can getaway with great work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Working environment on the trading floor was challenging but very stimulating"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "You may get some work-life balance in some offices but not generally not in Asia"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Antiquated systems that are compensated by staff working long hours - ie working dumber not smarter"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Macquarie

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is friendly, learn a lot

ConsThe higher level are dominated by Australian people. Not very localized

Striving for profit completely overshadows the human aspect of the company culture

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt's really impressive to see a company run like a well-oiled machine. The company strives for profit and excellence in every area it does business in and brings out the best in the employees. You feel special and privileged to be selected to work there.

The majority of people are really smart, hardworking, dedicated and interesting. There is a big emphasis on the team work while being accountable for your own assignment. You are not micromanaged and have a great deal of autonomy and decision making ability when working your projects. The management believes that if you are there, you are competent enough to get the job done.

ConsThe human aspect of the company's culture is lost as the company strives for profit. Under-compensated hard work and loyalty are not going to get you anywhere - the company's philosophy is that everyone is replaceable and disposable. Regardless of your past contribution, efforts and/or potential, if you no longer fit into the big picture of profitability, you are disposed of.

The atmosphere can get very political (like in many other places, probably). If you are not liked by the right people, no matter what your productivity level is, you are not going to get far.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward high performers based on the actual performance, not the office politics. Acknowledge individual contributions and make your employees feel like they are actually valued and are a part of the success. Acknowledge the importance of support functions such as HR, Finance, etc - they make it possible for everyone to run the business as smoothly as it currently is.

It has its ups and downs.

Windows Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey pay well but are becoming unreasonable with how they manage costs and budgets.

ConsHistorically, Macquarie pays very well and has very low turnover rates. They knew how to make you feel loyal to the company. However, senior management is being increasingly tight and is souring the culture of the bank. People are not happy and morale is very low. They seem to care about a single penny more than they care about their employees. A lot of key people in the IT department have already left or are looking to leave.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work if you are not Australian

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMet some smart, motivated individuals

ConsGlass ceiling if one is not Australian. The firm likes to hire young, inexperienced individuals and push out older experienced individuals. Not many women in leadership roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster employees who have experience

Bait and switch

Associate Director (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsProvided breakfast, lunch, and snacks - however I think the motivation is to keep you at your desk/phone constantly.

ConsThe most unfriendly work environment I've ever experienced. It's not hostile, but very cold and impersonal. Was told I would be part of a team coming in and was essentially left to sink or swim on my own with the appearance of my supposed team OK with me drowning. Boss was super secretive and exclusionary in protection of his personal PnL. Everyone wanted to get a piece of the revenue without lifting a finger.

Advice to Senior ManagementBanking is about dollars and cents, but try to have a little personality and make Macquarie an attractive place to work.

Pleasurable learning and professional environment.

Tax Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGain lots of experience. Everyone is very easy to work with. Also, they offer great benefit plans.

ConsCommunications across the country and with Sidney can be very hectic at times. There are different cultural barriers and definitions that need to be learned.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with subordinates to make sure they understand their task.

best paying Grad program/job

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, work life was best I had and could take on hobbies.

Conslow pay, managment not interested in being best in class or aggressively going after deals. I would not go there to make a name for oneself.

Build your own business

ProsFreedom to be creative
    Smart people
    Freedom within boundary culture

ConsCannot act fast on opportunaties

Lots of freedom, but red tape building up with regional growth.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLots of learning opportunities for those willing to work hard. Pay is great. Work life balance is always a struggle. Face time is more important than they let on.

ConsVery Australian culture - not a negative, but not for everyone.

great envirment

Managing Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosthe people i work with are great people

Conshard to get to
    reseption takes a long time

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys are doing great

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macquarie Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macquarie Group CEO Nicholas W. Moore. All 262 reviews posted anonymously by Macquarie Group employees.