Macquarie Group

Macquarie Group Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Nicholas W. Moore

Nicholas W. Moore

Pros:
  • "You can getaway with great work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Working environment on the trading floor was challenging but very stimulating"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "You may get some work-life balance in some offices but not generally not in Asia"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Antiquated systems that are compensated by staff working long hours - ie working dumber not smarter"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people and great atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTake care of their employers; senior staff was very approachable; great perks; good salary; able to move up in the company.

ConsI think because it's such a global company, it can be a challenge to get recognized amongst all of the employees.

This is an open, friendly environment unlike most in its industry. They put a lot of energy into fostering their people.

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood training opportunities, Cafeteria with a selection of free food, and great people to work with

ConsIt takes effort to make the work-life balance work for you. But I have only been here a short time and have nothing bad to say about the company

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have better continuing education/ tuition reimbursement

I'm continually impressed with the new product and services innovation at Macquarie

National Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsStrong brand name across the world

ConsFinancial services is a tough market to be in right now

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should implement "skip level" interviews to get a real feel for how management is performing in the field

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intelligent staff, lots of silos, entrepreneurial culture, too conservative

New York, NY

ProsAlways trying to grow, interesting niche businesses, people are very smart, can progress quickly if you do well, lots of opportunity to move between businesses and countries, safe balance sheet company no going anywhere.

ConsThe entrepreneurial culture leaded to people working in silos. Can create problems such as disorganized interactions with clients which looks unprofessional.
    A little overly conservative. Too much power given to risk management function.
    Systems are terrible as a result of growing fast and under-investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are too conservative, the company will not grow.
    Spend more money on systems.
    Don't hire people who are not adaptable.

Mixed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey tend to hire highly qualified people, so it is not likely that you will run into incompetent people. They don't just fill seats.

ConsMost compliance environments in financial services are known for having a high stress factor and this is no different. It comes with the territory.

Horrible

Accounting Associate (Former Employee)
    Sydney, FL

ProsApparently high pay if you're in certain positions.
    Good reputation - so good place to 'come from'.

ConsLarge bureaucracy.
    People live the job and have no life outside.
    Only see $$ signs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the bank needs to stop thinking of itself as an audit firm that can take in young talent and grind them to the bone, and expect them to be thankful for the privilege of working there.

Great experience, not so great pay

ProsGreat open environment. Can get really close to the senior MDs and VPs.

ConsNot well recognized brand. Need to grow platform in US more

Roller coaster, great potential.

ProsLarge firm with resources and structures. Generally there are few obstacles in talking to other business units. However as I work in a regional office in the Americas my experience is not standard

ConsWell like I said, regional office. Our business unit made minimal investments in technology and overall office which is a disappointment. There are also so many layers of management in my business unit, I feel like I have multiple bosses- because I essentially do!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees market rate and build loyalty and trust.

Very Sydney-centric culture, not global or forward thinking despite the tagline.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsVery smart people with strong work ethic.

ConsToo much outsourcing and very little autonomy given to the regions. One-size fits all approach across the regions, which doesn't work for a global firm. When someone leaves, rather than replace them, they make the rest of the team do more with less. No raises for years and nominal bonuses. WAY behind on technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff up and take a more global view. One size does not fit all. Allow the regions to operate in a manner that makes sense for their region and make decisions without everything having to be approved by Sydney. Improve technology.

Executive Assistant for 2 Managing Directors and 6 other direct reports. Organize meetings, client dinners, and travel.

Senior Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSalary is competitive but on a low scale. The executives I support are appreciative and down to earth.

ConsGrowth potential for Executive Assistant's isn't a priority. Technology needs to be more of a priority,

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise them to value the Executive Assistants who go above and beyond in their reviews either monetarily or providing them with skill building classes.

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macquarie Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macquarie Group CEO Nicholas W. Moore. All 262 reviews posted anonymously by Macquarie Group employees.