Macquarie Group Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014

Macquarie Group Managing Director and CEO Nicholas W. Moore
Nicholas W. Moore

Pros
  • Also, work environment is great - smart peers and work-life balance is definitely apparent (in 25 reviews)

• Great people, comfortable work environment, you really feel like you work for a top notch company here (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • You may get some work-life balance in some offices but not generally not in Asia (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours - forget about having a family life; (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a great place to work if you are not Australian

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some smart, motivated individuals

Cons

Glass ceiling if one is not Australian. The firm likes to hire young, inexperienced individuals and push out older experienced individuals. Not many women in leadership roles.

Foster employees who have experience

It has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Windows Systems Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They pay well but are becoming unreasonable with how they manage costs and budgets.

Cons

Historically, Macquarie pays very well and has very low turnover rates. They knew how to make you feel loyal to the company. However, senior management is being increasingly tight and is souring the culture of the bank. People are not happy and morale is very low. They seem to care about a single penny more than they care about their employees. A lot of key people in the IT department have already left or are looking to leave.

Pleasurable learning and professional environment.

Current Employee - Tax Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Gain lots of experience. Everyone is very easy to work with. Also, they offer great benefit plans.

Cons

Communications across the country and with Sidney can be very hectic at times. There are different cultural barriers and definitions that need to be learned.

Work more closely with subordinates to make sure they understand their task.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bait and switch

Former Employee - Associate Director  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Provided breakfast, lunch, and snacks - however I think the motivation is to keep you at your desk/phone constantly.

Cons

The most unfriendly work environment I've ever experienced. It's not hostile, but very cold and impersonal. Was told I would be part of a team coming in and was essentially left to sink or swim on my own with the appearance of my supposed team OK with me drowning. Boss was super secretive and exclusionary in protection of his personal PnL. Everyone wanted to get a piece of the revenue without lifting a finger.

Banking is about dollars and cents, but try to have a little personality and make Macquarie an attractive place to work.

best paying Grad program/job

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, work life was best I had and could take on hobbies.

Cons

low pay, managment not interested in being best in class or aggressively going after deals. I would not go there to make a name for oneself.

Build your own business

I have been working at Macquarie Group

Pros

Freedom to be creative
    Smart people
    Freedom within boundary culture

Cons

Cannot act fast on opportunaties

Lots of freedom, but red tape building up with regional growth.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities for those willing to work hard. Pay is great. Work life balance is always a struggle. Face time is more important than they let on.

Cons

Very Australian culture - not a negative, but not for everyone.

great envirment

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the people i work with are great people

Cons

hard to get to
    reseption takes a long time

you guys are doing great

Club for expat aussies

Current Employee - Managing Director  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pantry. Free granola bars and cereal for breakfast. If you are not ambitious or like the environment of a government type job, then this is an ok place to stay until retirement.

Cons

All key roles are held by expat australians. Americans are treated with suspicion and generally relegated to second tier roles. Company is very bureaucratic and it is impossible to get any major deals done. We are not respected in the marketplace, and potential customers generally snicker when we mention macquarie.
    The management and its PR machine makes it worse by constantly repeating the statement "we are the goldman sachs of australia".
    Management is petty and very stingy watching nickels and dimes more closely than any other place I've been at. Moreover, very unethical management (by American standards). Top management routinely has open affairs with female subordinates, and is condoned - maybe even encouraged amongst the expat crowd.

Create uniform HR policies. Treat people with respect, have the same standards for ALL employees.

Spent 8 years in Infrastructure Operations - Wasted my time and talents

Former Employee - IT Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macquarie Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Macquarie was once a wonderful place to work. Innovative, smart people, good energy. I think what happened was they took on more they could chew.... The company was huge on training making sure their IT employees stayed ahead of the technology game. As the company begun to lose money, so did their ability to invest in technology and tools. We were constantly losing business because clients found us unreliable with all the email and network outages. I worked there from 2005 to 20012, I met some great people, but most of them were all laid-off. The talent is really no longer there.

Cons

There are many cliques formed at Macquarie. There is an us (Australians) and them (Americans) mentality which has gotten worst through years. Posturing is a way of life there and if done correctly you can move up the corporate chain.

Listen to the people and respect those doing the work. Also, Australians need to stop feeling they are superior to the locals, it's tiredsom and degrading.

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!