Macro International

Macro International Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014

Sudhakar Kesavan

Wonderful company, very professional recruitment process

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Macro International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Training, Opportunities for professional development, Great facilities

Cons

There don't seem to be many opportunities for promotion. That's disappointing.

Good place to learn and grow professionally.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Macro International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and projects. Almost all supervisors were cordial and truthful. Corporate culture allowed multiple events to help every new employee feel welcomed. Defined career paths (though I'm not sure how easy it is/was to move between different paths).

Cons

On supervisor had a way of talking about others (management or staff, it didn't matter) in one on one meetings and had an irritable personality if you were not perfect. I should have paid attention to the warning signs in the interview with this particular supervisor. Not a good person at all. Apart from that, my experience was good in that I learned a lot about my role and professional aspirations.

I heard company was later acquired by ICF International which could have been a good and/or bad experience.

Make sure you are looking at the complete picture as some people are not who they seem to be.

Poorly organized

Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Macro International

Pros

The people that you work with are great.

Cons

No Leadership from upper management - promotion decisions are arbitrary and expectations are never communicated. Emphasis on growth over quality of the work, no recognitions for extra employee effort. Random huge tasks dropped on you last minute as the boss sails out the door with
    a "I don't care how it gets done just get it done" makes for a depressing and stressful work environment.

Lead -we cannot read minds and shouldn't be judged on criteria you can't or won't communicate.
    Don't hold your employees to standards you won't maintain yourself.

Critique of Macro International's Support for Employees

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Macro International

Pros

It was great when the core company was small. Great support by original company's president, good opportunities to advance one's knowledge.

Cons

With each buyout as company became larger and larger, the corporate environment became more and more impersonal, until its buyout by Macro International couple years before layoff.

You're kept in the dark most of the time when it comes to contract bids which may result in loss of your job if bids don't go through.

Listen to your employees, give them good resources for advancing their skills. If layoffs must happen, don't just offer positions that are a step down but also offer real, meaningful assistance if equivalent positions cannot be found.

Nice people, good company.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Macro International

Pros

Good people. Interesting projects - especially for those interested in health sciences, research, evaluation, and global health projects.

Cons

Sometimes a bit too politically correct. Salaries top out at a certain level.

Figure out ways to pay employees more.

district manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Alexandria (Egypt)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Alexandria (Egypt)

I have been working at Macro International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the stability is very high and suitable career

Cons

there is no cars or and car expenses is very low

be quite

Get your degree before coming here, because travel will prevent you from pursing it

I worked at Macro International

Pros

If you want international experience, most positions offer it. Most trips are 3-4 weeks in length, so you have plenty of time to get over jet lag and potentially see a bit of the country. It's also gives you a much better feel for the country working with the locals, rather than just driving through as part of a tour group.

Cons

Travel is also a negative! Traveling 3-4 times a year (sometimes 5, depends on the project) can impact your personal life. And you're working in rather difficult situations: countries w/o reliable electricity so they use generators (which are also problematic, as they break down or don't have enough petrol), bad communication (i.e., don't always have internet access, cell phone usage can be spotty), quality of local staff can be low (i.e., in most parts of Africa educational system isn't particularly good, so quality of local counterparts is not up to Western standards), etc. So personal satisfaction in a job well done is not always attainable.

Persons with PhDs don't necessarily know more, or know better, than those without a PhD. Management should integrate data processors into the survey cycle much earlier, as they often find mistakes in the questionnaire or sample design.

Macro International Photos