Macy's Reviews in Chicago, IL

4,934 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,427 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 568 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 362 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 109 reviews)

More Highlights

126 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent company

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers. Steady job. Always have hours. Paid holidays

Cons

Collaborating with other store employees not willing to always partner together

Listen do your employees and there needs to get the jobs done effectively

Provided customer service, answered questions regarding various information needed for various customers.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work, good quality product, awesome associates.

Cons

Very little compensation, very strict about work policies, not enough incentive to work there.

Consider people who are struggling and also do not fire people just because of one or two mistakes, consider more people for long term job growth and help, for people such as associates who work for the Christmas season.

Great first retail job

Current Employee - Cashier in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of working at Macys was making my own schedule

Cons

No cons that I can think of

More communication with employees.

Macy's Loss Prevention is an excellent role for young and middle level professionals to develop their career.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The ability to meet everyone within the company at all levels, flexible work schedule, opportunities to learn and move up in the company. You get exposed to people from all walks of life, and this is an essential skill to build while advancing in your career. most importantly, as weird as that company is, I have met some of the best people in my life. the company certainly does not function brilliantly, however it does function with magic. for someone seeking experience that will help them in a career, I would recommend any this company for a anyone at any career level. Upon reflection of many of my positions, this was by far one of my favorites.

Cons

Supervisors without college degrees, politics where they run the show, inferior job wage to the real world, no room to advance to managerial positions, the company that utilizes technology that may have been relevant/effective 1980's. unabashedly not receiving compensate, not receiving a compensation package as a full time employee--even though it's promised within the job description. Roughly speaking, this is a great entry level job, or for a student to looking for work between classes. if you can motivate kings of people, this is a great position for you.

Don't be an idiot--your customers and criminal certainly aren't, why should you be one? It's no secret you pull in record sales, how come you can't offer a salary that makes your employees feel appreciated? Also: you're supervisor at a competitive large-cap company, how can you succeed without a college degree?

The Macy Experience

Former Employee - Support Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Support Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like that you encounter varies types of people, working with a great team, training was easy, with flexible hours

Cons

Constant standing on your feet, low pay, and not enough hours

Great part-time opportunity

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, if you enjoy fashion you get to be immersed in it, training opportunities, flexible scheduling, and employee encouragement, store meetings were valuable to help you know about promotions that could help you to make your sales goals

Cons

Lower pay, leadership was sometimes too absent, not enough training,store meetings could sometimes end up being a time for management to complain about associates, lack of accountability,

I think it's important to remember that it is important to train associates so that they feel confident when they are on the sales floor

Meh

Former Employee - Flex Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Flex Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount,pretty nice coworkers. I liked the online schedule & how you could manage your shifts.

Cons

So much expected of you. It is hard to learn about departments when you are forced to move around so much.

Upper middle management only interested in protecting their jobs.

Former Employee - Kitchen in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Kitchen in Chicago, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous vacation time is offered to start with the company, but getting permission to use it is another issue all together.

Cons

Management was not interested in original ideas. "Do as I say, not as I do." Every bad thing is your fault, all good things, were their idea.

Stay out of the way, do not micro-manage that which you know nothing about

Coworkers friendly, managers just want you to sell sell sell and sign up credit cards

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun and you some freedom while working. Managers are not breathing down your neck. Also its fun to find someone that great outfit

Cons

Getting credit cards or promoting whatever charity event we have going on. Customers don't understand why their reward passes won't work on certain days and managers expect you to be doing everything at once and never get to you when you call them.

Get us the help we need when we ask and calm down with the credit card quotas

The people made the job bearable, not the job itself

Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Big Ticket Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here because my fellow employees and even managers were very nice people and fun to be around. Management wasnt too strict, and hours were somewhat flexible. Top performers will get the most hours, doesn't matter the circumstances.

Cons

Pay was terrible, had commission with a draw (worst pay structure I have ever been a part of). Every hour that went by that you did not sell anything, you would owe them the $9 an hour they paid you for that time. So basically, if you go a day without selling anything, and the next day you sell $18 an hour (double the draw) you will only make $9 an hour because you owed them for the time you didn't sell anything.

Get rid of the draw. Listen to employees suggestions more often. We are the ones in the dirt of the work, we know what we need best.