Macy's

5,276 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,543 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Macys

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People opportunity and clothes

Cons

pay sucks would like to see a commission on regular sales

Rotate the commission jobs with other employees

Could call off sick days, but pay was so mediocre and your life had to be dedicated through holiday season.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Point system, easy tasks, easy to excel at job (just not rewarded)

Cons

Pay, coworkers, inexperienced management, ONE HR REPRESENTATIVE, managers, blackout days

Not bad for a first job

Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Seasonal Recovery Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was good for what I was doing, and the supervisor was really casual and friendly. Even during the (stressful) holiday retail season, my supervisor and full-time colleagues never broke from a calm, friendly demeanor.

Cons

One thing that kind of bugged me was that they seemed to severely overstaff, and so I was periodically asked to not come in for my shift. I'm glad they didn't have me come in and do nothing, but it was a little disappointing that I didn't get as many hours as I was told I would get in this job.

All in all, not too bad.

nice 1st job

Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate In Macy's in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a good experience gaining interpersonal skills. You get a 20% DISCOUNTS on store products with special macy's store employee credit card. You can CONVERSE in different languages depending on customers and MEET DIFFERENT PEOPLE - you can work in different areas of store like beachwear or shoes or men's or teen, people mantain somewhat of a professional appearance, AND GREAT music from the perfume dept's almost alwaysplaying!

Cons

hectic, low pay, no one sticks around long....but this is expected for a first job actually...Personally, I think it's a very good maturing experience if you've never had a job - consider it during a summer in college. The only really annoying thing is some sales managers are always on you case about refolding what you just folded to make it the right way....tsao

provide more benefit and incentive to meet sales goals

Sales Rep In the Men department

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time

Pros

Flexable Hours Fast pace nice mangers

Cons

Low Pay Long hours no room To grow

Best retail EVER

Former Employee - Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not only do you work for the money, but you make it what you get out of it. Communication with everyone on all levels from store manager to customer is at your hands to utilize and if you don't do this in a positive way you will have poor experiences. I've had my great, good, better, bad, and worse days but you dominate your day and each time you'll have a different experience. I loved the opportunity they gave me while in school and bettering myself, but even if you choose to be a life long employee you'll enjoy the smiles, laughs, and tears, we all have good and bad days and Macy's has never been a hated job. I'd recommend anyone to work here. I loved my job, but I've had to move on towards my career focus.

Cons

I only had one supervisor I had an issue with but she was undergoing her own personal issues and it took me communicating with someone over her FOLLOWING THE CHAIN OF COMMANDS, but I made my days what I wanted them to be....

If possible offer a protected suggestion box that is read by one person and kept confidential. Associates may need to speak with someone higher than their supervisor/floor manager about some presiding issues that are not taken care of when they address their direct manager and following the chain of command may feel like its too much work when it can be handled internal. Maybe offer a mediation with the associate because they may be complaining a bit too much and don't realize it isn't as large as what they see, but don't allow them to feel like they have no one to talk to and suggest other routes to having an outstanding day, and being the reason the customer(s) leave happy that they encounter.... (Situation of another co-worker)

my time at Macy's has been great

Current Employee - Shoe in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Shoe in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work atmosphere and a great challenge everyday

Cons

not enough hours and sometime completely to much down time.

100% AWFUL STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor Estee Lauder in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were nice co-workers in my department.

Cons

My counter manager, the store manager, the hours, the pay, the conditions. The environment at Macy's is disgusting. Beware young people and elderly or you will be "tricked into opening a credit card". Pay very very close attention to the words used by the person ringing up your sale at the register when they ask if you want to open a credit card. DO NOT DO IT. DO NOT HAVE THEM " LOOK UP " your Macy's credit card for you, they will try and run a new credit card for you!!! My Counter manager used our area managers password to change the schedule without telling anyone(not her job to do so). The hours are obscene, working until 11pm midnight, 2 am, please. The upper management, at least in the columbus area is without a doubt the most underhanded,meanest, double-dealing, ignorant group of people let alone management I have ever seen in my life.They take great pleasure in talking down to people and treating them as second class citizens. Stay as far away from this company as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try or pretend that you care a tiny bit about the people that work for you.

Overall Customer Service vs Sales Volume

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity, sales staff reflects local community. There is a sense of pride in the Brand Macy's. Advertising reaches the public and drives foot traffic. Stores are attractive and clean.

Cons

In-store human resources somewhat clueless when you have questions. Managers more interested in self advancement than teamwork. Competition for sales outweighs the importance of putting the customer's needs first. Scheduling is confusing at best and does not allow work/life balance.

Better lines of communication with human resources within local store (without fear of retribution.) Employees are likely to unionize to achieve better consideration of work/life balance.

Great job for flexability

Former Employee - Flex-Team Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Flex-Team Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Macy's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent discounts
    Excellent co-workers
    Fun work enviroment

Cons

If flex person, no increase in pay
    hard to move to another department
    Manangers changes like the winds. Never constant

Be more involved in co-workers lives