Macy's

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,019 ratings)

3,591 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The best thing this job had to offer was the employee discount"
    in 421 reviews
  • "Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's"
    in 70 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employee discount is only redeemed by using your Macy's credit card"
    in 278 reviews
  • "Varies store to store, but Macy's has very little consideration for work-life balance"
    in 78 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Traffic Coordinator

Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than a year

ProsThe position provides intense experience in project management to include multitasking, decision making and creative technical expertise. Provides extensive background in Marketing practices and advertising production processes.

ConsCareer advancement and movement is encouraged but not practiced. Morale is severely low due to stagnancy and support. Advertising operations management does not back the decisions of those hired to enforce regulation. Some minor examples of favoritism when it comes to selection for special projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Traffic department is set in place to regulate traffic. Let them do so. Also, "Great job" is nice to hear now and then, but using them in place of an award, promotions, raises and or transfers to new areas causes the phrase to become worthless after a while.

a good company to start with

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

Prosenergetic work environment, good music

Constoo many go-backs and recovery, low salary

Advice to Senior Managementneed increase of salary, not only several cents for one year

Good for part time job

Fragrance Associate (Current Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Macy's part-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are working part time and can only work under 20 hours in a week, this is a good place for you. Flexible schedule, 3% commission and casual dress are ok.

ConsNot a career base job. Not much time for personal and family. Not much career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide equal career opportunity among employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Welcome to the world of retail

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Culver City, CA

I worked at Macy's part-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a flexible schedule but be on top of them since they will make mistakes and give you unneeded hours. It was easy to learn the merchandise over time and they customers that walk in. You will be tired so I suggest comfortable shoes!

ConsNot enough people to cover for your breaks
Managers won't appear when they are called to help costumers
The point system

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right employees that will work and not laze around.
Also, be available to help an employee with a tough customer.
GET RID OF THE POINT SYSTEM, because of that you have fired one of the most hard working people I have met in my two years.

Seasonal Fun

Credit Granting Representative (Former Employee)
Clearwater, FL

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

Prosthe training was very good. the new hires had coaching desk side for the first 2 1/2 weeks. After training was officially ended the leads were very supportive and did a great job of answering questions. Since I had 15+ years in customer service, I got the $12.50 / hour, the high end of the pay scale.

ConsSchedule changed every week. They said there would be a rotation every 8 weeks so I expected to have every day of the week off during the cycle. However, I never had Friday off and most Monday's I worked too. Only 2 times did I have both Saturday and Sunday off together. Meal times were scheduled so that you had to make friends with the other people on the team who had the same schedule. Hard to schedule break and meal times with people you wanted to be with.

Advice to Senior Managementthe monthly meeting was good

Decent job but very challenging and annoying

I have been working at Macy's

ProsSo many nice and friendly coworkers
Extremely flexible hours
A lot of hours available
20% discount on top of some very good deals
You get 3-10$ everytime you open up a charge

ConsIdiot customers
We return EVERYTHING!! And the company WONDERS why we are at a loss! I've taken back shoes so work out and all the customer has to say is "they hurt my feet." We lose so much commission from this.
Customers literally destroy the shoe department where I worked and every close is just cleaning up the mess
Weird coworkers
If you work for commission and don't sell enough you end up owing money to the company, but you pay it back with future commission dollars

Advice to Senior ManagementStop returning every single shoe. Clean up the department.

Good Place To Work

Director (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Macy's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay (Corporate Level)
Paid Time Off
Benefits

ConsHours
Always on the clock
You have to realize you are only a number.

Experience at Macy's

I have been working at Macy's

ProsPeople and time spent developing talent

Conswork life balance needs improvement and vertical opportunity

Mediocrity, perfected.

Associate (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Macy's full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's easy to get the job, easy to keep the job, easy to set your schedule and work around school or other commitments. Work started at 9:30. Managers are very laid back. Very. This is a great place to zone out and get paid at the same time. If this *is* your life, I am very sorry.

ConsThis job is Really. Easy. No challenges except dealing with other associates and the occasional awful customer. They make you say "outstanding" every 10 seconds during the morning meetings, which quickly becomes meaningless. There are some mean commission-obsessed employees, but for someone who was just working there for some rent money during a summer of being a part time college student with grants for tuition and books, it was simple for me to just let them go crazy and stay out of their way while they gobble up sales like that possessive fish in finding nemo "BUBBLES BUBBLES MY BUBBLES"

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't get the feeling you want to change the culture to become progressive and responsible caretakers of society, so keep doing what you're doing to continue the tolerable mediocrity you've established admirably. I would have fired myself if I had to deal with my sullen, blase attitude, but my manager liked me because I made him laugh... with my sullen, blase attitude. He also passed over an hardworking but old and unattractive employee's request to be put in a newer section that expected high sales and commission, and instead put in a sexy young lady who showed up late every day and took long lunches at her leisure. Take from that what you will.

Exciting environment, little opportunity.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Macy's part-time for less than a year

ProsGood employee discount
Hour long lunches on all day shifts
Flexible scheduling

ConsLow pay
Little opportunity to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell new employees that they will move up quickly, because they won't.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 3,591 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.