Macy's

2.9 4,268 reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

(1,214 ratings)

Pros
  • The only "pro" about this job is the employee discount, but it isn't even that great(in 486 reviews)

• Work Life balance, advancement opportunities are a great part of Macy's(in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't push their credit card down the customers throat you get fired(in 315 reviews)

• They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet(in 95 reviews)

4,268 Employee Reviews

Relaxed Environment. Flexible Hours. Good Retail Job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsFlexible Hours and Relaxed Environment

ConsEarly or Late Hours, Management Issues

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees. Be on the floor. A leader shows his team and works with them. They don't just tell them what to do.

I feel I will always have a job opportunity with Macys

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job for a social person who loves makeup

ConsWeekends and Holidays. INSANE Holiday hours

It is a friendly working environment, and all the employees are well trained and respected to each other.

Merchandise Team Associate (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsAs a part-time employee here I had flexible working hours. Before I got on floor I had got a 2-day paid training in front of a computer which contained a little bit too much information and quizzes but not too bad. My manager and other associates were able to explain to me my duties and answer my questions all the time. I felt very helpful to work with them as a team.

ConsAs a part-time employee here I got my hours assigned by managers every week. Sometimes I could get nearly 30-hour work a week but once I didn't get my hours assigned for two weeks (or reassigned in a short notice). Well, as a part-time employee I guess it is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat would be more efficient for me as a part-time employee if I could pick up my times online on my own instead of talking with managers back and forth on phone. =)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Had good and bad.

Retail Support Associate (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThey worked with my schedule for the most part and there are incentives..small ones but incentives. You meet some nice people if you're lucky

ConsNot enough staff so EVERYONE seemed overworked. It's impossible to get things done sometimes. They are always cutting hours but expecting the same amount of work done. with less people, less time and very little pay. They also pull the bait and switch. I went for one interview, they hired me for different title which wasnt that big a deal at the time then when I start I'm all of a sudden seasonal when that was never discussed in the interview or follow up after. Just when I was starting.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the great employees what they're worth. Macy's money doesn't help get bills paid. People go out of their way and take on jobs people higher up should be doing more often than they need to. Also, stop hiring everyone you interview. Incompetent people only cause more work for those who know what they're doing.

Daily Confusion

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsAbility to work independently, or in a small group of co-workers depending on how you work best. a grace period in which you were taught how to do everything was extremely helpful, and left no question unanswered.

ConsI was told I would be able to pick which hours i would work each week due to the fact I was a college student, and course work varied from week to week, but about two weeks in I was informed i missed a shift even though it was not a shift i normally worked, and I did not add it. Adding shifts was also difficult due to the complicated system they used online and occasionally I signed up for the wrong department because of this. Also no directions were given where to go and there was no general meeting place you just walked in and had to figure out where to go on the fly which is hard when you first start working there.

Advice to Senior Managementthis company would benefit by having a period in between the novice level introductory class and when the employee starts their first shift, helping them to see where each section is where to check in just the basics of actually being an employee there, not just telling them how to use the register and sending them off.

Great learning experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou have the power to make your own decision to keep the customer happy.

ConsCustomers walk all over you.

Associate Planner (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey make sure to set you up for success. The EDP program is amazing for people who just graduated college and the benefits are great.

ConsThere was definitely a lack of leadership and tension between the buying and planning teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more face time with your assistants and associate and listen to what they have to say. It shows that you care and you can learn a few things from it.

fairly good job to work at

Sales (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsNice place to work, good people worked hard

Consnot able to move up in the job

Over worked, under paid

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou are able to get paid time off, after a while you get paid holidays and the schedule is easy to work with.

ConsA lot of the managers take the title "manager" to their heads. You are always easy to replace, the manager will suck up to customers and make the associates look stupid. They're always pushing our department to be clean with no help, so like 3 associates cleaning and managing 4 registers and then they get upset when the clothes start piling up. No growth or promotions. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers need to step up as managers because all they do is give the associates orders and then go disappear from their own department nagging how it's untidy yet they never lift a single piece of clothing off the floor.

Don"t do it unless you need a work experience !!!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsYou get sales experience, meet cool people, good managers

Consbad pay, standing all the time and bending to pick up items all the time. not worth what you get paid

Advice to Senior Managementtrain more and dont just leave some things blank until the person gets on the sales floor. there was so many things i didn't know i was doing wrong until i got to the sales floor and my co workers helped me out.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!