Macy's

5,259 Reviews

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren
1,540 Ratings

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Could we please have Thanksgiving off?

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers; it is a fun crowd. The hours are flexible, and it is usually not too hard to adjust one's schedule. The employee discount is generous. My particular store manager is very nice, approachable, and upbeat.

Cons

The store is often a mess, with not enough staff to process the damaged out items and returns. They pile up and pile up in the dock area. Understaffing. All black all the time saddens me--although sometimes we are allowed to wear color (pink for breast cancer awareness, orange and black for the recent World Series etc.). Management won't fire underperforming employees (even employees who are rude to the customers), because in this area of low-unemployment, it is difficult to find replacements.

Get someone (besides the sales associates who are already engaged at the register) to take away the piles and piles of post-Xmas returns. They end up in a huge heap with no time to put them away; it looks very unprofessional. More generous incentives (besides a dollar) for opening a credit would be appreciated. Please turn off the rock and roll music during the morning rally--it is too early for all this noise. Shorten the rally so we can actually open our cash registers before the customers enter.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and the ability to swap schedules with other employees. all of management and associates are kind, courteous and upbeat. there is growth and there are opportunities apparently if you push hard enough and are in the right clique

Cons

Manager's can also exhibit demeaning behavior, condescending and sometimes quippy. Also lack of payroll allotted for recovery leads to less sales involvement. Low pay just above minimum wage and macys money as a reward for doing well as observed by a manager or associate as going above and beyond. Pay raise is a last resort and then it is maxed out at 90 cents per hour increase per yearly review. This is a good place to work if you are a student or retired or a bored house wife looking for spending cash but no way to make a viable living as a by the hour sales associate. I had to threaten to quit before they offered other higher paying positions.

Really not buying into the depression era tactics of macys money, i.e. company store money to buy more macys mechandise and go further into debt with the company.

Work Experience as a Brand Specialist

Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Specialist in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store Manager very friendly and helpful. Good Benefits

Cons

Required to spend quite a bit of time in cleaning up and re-organizing merchandise resulting in getting less time to sell

Hire more part-time and full-time staff to put merchandise back to the racks

I did not like my experience at Macy's.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Macy's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were generally very nice.

Cons

The customer service was terrible, the managers were never around/available, overall a very depressing place to work, and very surprised that (as one of their better employees in my eyes) they did not even ask me why I put in my resignation or where I decided to go.

Offer better training, customer service, and an overall better environment for workers and customers. I know and have heard a lot of people say they hate shopping there.