Macy's

Macy's Chairman, President, and CEO Terry J. Lundgren

Terry J. Lundgren

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome second job

Sale Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosschedule flexibility, decent pay and commission, employee discount

Constime off/ call in policy is not very friendly

Advice to Senior Managementadjust points system for time off/ calling in

A lot of wasted potential

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThey will hire anyone, so if you need a job come on down.
    I enjoy the online schedule system, I think its convenient

ConsYour managers are WAY over worked, and the only thing they will discuss with you is opening credits.
    The storage room in womans shoes is a law suit waiting to happen. Its a shame they havent invested in training for their stock workers, so they would know better than to leave things out the way they do.

They dont have a lot of management, or support. It is BARE BONES. I am surprised the place doesnt just collapse into a pile of rubbish. Its really running on fumes.

Pay is erratic in commision departments, and downright awful in hourly positons.

Macys works against itself alot when it comes to properly investing in its employees. When the womens shoe department has a clearance sale they need help to pull all those shoes, 1 part time stock guy cant do that. And when he didnt do it, they fired him.. And what happened was we had 100's of mis-mated shoes and alllll day you were on the floor apologizing to women for teasing them essentially with a great deal they could have had.

They intentionally will hire you as a part time employee, and regardless of how many hours you pick up, you will never gain benefits. And in my own department they stopped hiring full time employees 4 years ago.

Sneaky company. Shady. down right awful to its employees. The poor loyal management core left in these stores is shaken and crumbling. I would anticipate the end of Macys soon as they are unable to see their own errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your next add campaign about doing the right thing and paying your American workers no less than $13 an hour. And then do it. And see how proud people are to shop at Macys again. And see how hard your employees will work for you. PAY US A LIVING WAGE. That isnt anything less than $12 in any major city.

Give us more than $1 for opening a credit. That relationship we helped foster with that customer will bring in potentially thousands of dollars over the lifetime of the account. $1 is downright greedy, and it makes opening a credit a synical thing. And candy? Come on.. We arent little monkeys needing sugar to operate. We are hopefully seen as professionals. Treat us as such.

Give the department managers support! Assistant managers, supervisors. Have less meetings too. My department manager has 3-5 hours worth of meetings daily. Its too much when shes the only one to manage a department. QUALITY guys. We want QUALITY. You cant deliver quality with a bare bones approach.

Macy's a wonderful place to work

Denver, CO

ProsI like the flexible schedules. I am able to select at least one day a week when I know I will always be off. The rest of the days the hours work great for my volunteer work and other fun activities. The Management staff are genuinely interested in helping you grow to your full potential and willing to provide feedback where needed.

ConsThe weekend hours, unfortunately, that is when the majority of people do their shopping, so it is expected you will work on those days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, they understand the sales associated are the ones in front of the customer. Many things are done to ensure the associates have what they need to be effective in front of the customer.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's was retail what else do you expect.

Denver, CO

ProsThe people who you work with.

ConsPay was terrible, and sometimes your daily sales goal was unreasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better.

A nice place to work.

Denver, CO

ProsCan control your schedule. Nice employee discount and can use additional coupons.
    Give incentives to open credit cards and other push other promotions. Most sales goals are reasonable.

ConsSometimes management does not communicate with each other. Some procedures seem confused.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communications among yourselves regarding sales associated.

great people to work with, no career opportunities, the lowest hourly pay ever

Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosmanagement is great, feels like all big family; healthy work environment, easy access to schedule, pay check review and other information thought in site

Conswe all work to make money ! Macy's has the lowest hour pay ever; very hard to move on career path

Federated was the down fall of this company

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosexcellent job for holiday hires. most of the time it's right on the spot, and working the next day.
    well mixed group of co workers.
    long meal times.
    being able to hide clothing that you like for yourself, until a later time.

Conscompany forces you to open credit accounts, or receive bad reviews, and 70% people we ask dont want an account.
    late, or absent (with doctors note or not) gets you marked down towards termination.
    security watches you like a hawk.
    only $1.50 more than minimum wage for working 7-10 hr days.
    no in house promotions (from what i experienced)
    your own manager does not have the power to help you fix your scheduling needs, you must jump through hoops online, or in HR.
    a lot of the people they hire, don't speak native English, which ticks off the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop counting numbers, and accounts. just go back to connecting with people. offer not force.

Their process doesn't quite work.

COSMETICS (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat co-workers and clients. The discount is 20%, and an additional 10% about once a month. Employees can use their discount on-line and at any Macy's.

ConsTheir scheduling system ignores your unavailable days and schedules you anyway. It's as if you get the opposite of what you request. There are on-call staff, but they cannot pick up same day shifts, unless the office gets involved, and they never want to be inconvenienced. There's too much push on associates to get credits. Some people are get at closing the deal on credits, and some are better at planting the seeds of interest. It should be a team effort that is emphasized.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your teams wholistically, not in terms of who can get the most credits. Otherwise you will have a tank full of sharks and very poor customer service.

My experience was great

Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsYou get a discount on all items. You learn new things.

ConsManagers and supervisors don't play attention to there employees when there are disagreement.

Great employee discounts

Administrative Support Team Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsEmployee discounts are great especially when you are first hired. You also have opportunity to meet great people in all walks of life. Good starting wages. Employees are appreciated instantly and constantly if they delivered great service.

ConsMay have to work late if scheduled for closing or on weekends.

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Macy's CEO Terry J. Lundgren. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees.