Macy's

Updated December 10, 2014
3.4

Macy's Chairman & CEO Terry J. Lundgren
Terry J. Lundgren

Pros
  • the employee discount is good even though one must use their Macys card to get it (in 589 reviews)

• The company offers some flexibility in terms of work/life balance (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • They promise a work/life balance but I have not figured that part out yet (in 118 reviews)

• There is a great deal of pressure to sell Macy's credit cards to customers (in 373 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great for students!

Current Employee - Part-time Cosmetics Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Part-time Cosmetics Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Part-time flexible hours, ability to earn more based on commission (cosmetics), nice employees, great training program, if you work hard and are a little lucky - you could be hired by the actual brand!

Cons

must be available weekends, very large company so may be lost in shuffle, lengthy hiring process for cosmetics

Okay place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Denver, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Near home, fair hours, easy.

Cons

Boss was almost elderly and didn't know as much as she should about processes and current day reality.

Increase technology and product knowledge in store.

This was a good introduction to retail.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rewards in the form of product, Seeing different customers daily, learning good sales skills

Cons

Not enough hours, about 38 a week is full time. No overtime available. Tight deadlines. Hard to get time off. No sick time. Health Insurance was less expensive outside of the company.

You might retain more staff if you increased your hourly rate and vacation time.

Okay place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hours
    Decent pay
    Great management
    I really enjoyed the 20% discount. It was the biggest pro of working there.

Cons

Working in sales, the other salespeople can tend to be cutthroat. There was a lot of competition. Sometimes you feel as if you're expendable.

Awesome second job

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

schedule flexibility, decent pay and commission, employee discount

Cons

time off/ call in policy is not very friendly

adjust points system for time off/ calling in

A lot of wasted potential

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Macy's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They will hire anyone, so if you need a job come on down.
    I enjoy the online schedule system, I think its convenient

Cons

Your managers are WAY over worked, and the only thing they will discuss with you is opening credits.
    The storage room in womans shoes is a law suit waiting to happen. Its a shame they havent invested in training for their stock workers, so they would know better than to leave things out the way they do.

They dont have a lot of management, or support. It is BARE BONES. I am surprised the place doesnt just collapse into a pile of rubbish. Its really running on fumes.

Pay is erratic in commision departments, and downright awful in hourly positons.

Macys works against itself alot when it comes to properly investing in its employees. When the womens shoe department has a clearance sale they need help to pull all those shoes, 1 part time stock guy cant do that. And when he didnt do it, they fired him.. And what happened was we had 100's of mis-mated shoes and alllll day you were on the floor apologizing to women for teasing them essentially with a great deal they could have had.

They intentionally will hire you as a part time employee, and regardless of how many hours you pick up, you will never gain benefits. And in my own department they stopped hiring full time employees 4 years ago.

Sneaky company. Shady. down right awful to its employees. The poor loyal management core left in these stores is shaken and crumbling. I would anticipate the end of Macys soon as they are unable to see their own errors.

Make your next add campaign about doing the right thing and paying your American workers no less than $13 an hour. And then do it. And see how proud people are to shop at Macys again. And see how hard your employees will work for you. PAY US A LIVING WAGE. That isnt anything less than $12 in any major city.

Give us more than $1 for opening a credit. That relationship we helped foster with that customer will bring in potentially thousands of dollars over the lifetime of the account. $1 is downright greedy, and it makes opening a credit a synical thing. And candy? Come on.. We arent little monkeys needing sugar to operate. We are hopefully seen as professionals. Treat us as such.

Give the department managers support! Assistant managers, supervisors. Have less meetings too. My department manager has 3-5 hours worth of meetings daily. Its too much when shes the only one to manage a department. QUALITY guys. We want QUALITY. You cant deliver quality with a bare bones approach.

Macy's a wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the flexible schedules. I am able to select at least one day a week when I know I will always be off. The rest of the days the hours work great for my volunteer work and other fun activities. The Management staff are genuinely interested in helping you grow to your full potential and willing to provide feedback where needed.

Cons

The weekend hours, unfortunately, that is when the majority of people do their shopping, so it is expected you will work on those days.

Keep up the good work, they understand the sales associated are the ones in front of the customer. Many things are done to ensure the associates have what they need to be effective in front of the customer.

It's was retail what else do you expect.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who you work with.

Cons

Pay was terrible, and sometimes your daily sales goal was unreasonable.

Pay your employees better.

A nice place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can control your schedule. Nice employee discount and can use additional coupons.
    Give incentives to open credit cards and other push other promotions. Most sales goals are reasonable.

Cons

Sometimes management does not communicate with each other. Some procedures seem confused.

More communications among yourselves regarding sales associated.

great people to work with, no career opportunities, the lowest hourly pay ever

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Denver, CO

I have been working at Macy's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

management is great, feels like all big family; healthy work environment, easy access to schedule, pay check review and other information thought in site

Cons

we all work to make money ! Macy's has the lowest hour pay ever; very hard to move on career path